JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #251

25 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for #251, please....

Finally got around to reading the issue. I really enjoyed the art, It was brighter, but what i liked was the darkness around the eyes. As far as the writing goes, it was good, but i'm not sure about that first scene with Constantine and Pheobe, especially the panel full of Pheobe's dialog 'bout her life. I think the scene would have worked better if John had gone to pick her up at the hospital, and we'd seen what she described instead of reading it. That would have changed the stomach pat scene towards the end a little though.

I gave it a 7 with high hopes for the future.

I was rather taken with that. I liked the art (the slightly cutesy elements made for a nice contrast with the story, imo), the script was pretty solid, and Milligan seems to have a pretty decent handle on Constantine's character. Not half as good as Carey's curtain raiser, but hopefully it's a story that will escalate nastily (perhaps in the manner of Nasty Infections?)

I gave it a 6...So far it's obviously all setup with no answers as of it. I felt the pacing was well done and I am darn curious on where this story will go. I have no idea where else it will go so points there. Nothing great or bad, this issue is just... there.

Artwise, didn't do much for it nor did I disliked it. All I know is I'm gonna surely miss Manco.

I'm with Balthy here. John with girl, already going on about how horribly it will end; boo fucking hoo. Art straight out of Love and Rockets, with a medical doctor who wears rose coloured glasses. The most obviously supernatural character in a long time after dealing with the supernatural elements in a refreshingly background sort of way in Diggle's run--there is promise there, but I prefer my demons to be more subdued, in the background. Makes it creepier to me. Horses for courses I suppose.

As for the haunting guilt we see at the end: I was surprised it didn't have a gas mask on.

Oh, and how can you overlook Mnemoth when considering the best opening to a run by a writer?

I didn't - it predates the other examples I was using for my "best since...", that's all. I love HB#1.

Also, is "Art straight out of Love and Rockets" (which I don't think is particularly accurate, although I do see what you're getting at, especially in terms of the contrast with Manco's style) meant to be a criticism?

Also, is "Art straight out of Love and Rockets" (which I don't think is particularly accurate, although I do see what you're getting at, especially in terms of the contrast with Manco's style) meant to be a criticism?

Not sure yet. It is an abrupt departure and seems an awkward fit to me at this point. I'll be giving it a second read through shortly and we'll see how well it fits to me then.

As I said, I like the contrast between the (cutesy) art style and what it's depicting. If it wasn't for Amy Reed Handler, Pop Mhan would be my ideal Hellblazer artist...

Wow. My first post after lurking around these boards for quite some time. Also, the first issue I've received since I started a Hellblazer-subscription from my local comics-store. Quite a nice issue, I thought.

Haven't read too much by Peter Millligan, but Enigma is definitely among my favouritecomics and I adored the few issues by Shade I've managed to get my hands on, so I was very enthusiastic about him being the new Hellblazer-writer.

As much as I enjoyed Diggle's run it's refreshing to see a more relaxed and friendly Constantine again. Actually, I'd say Milligan writes him as more...approachable and likeable than anyone since Ennis. (Or Jenkins perhaps, I haven't been able to read more than a few issues) In a way this was reflected in the change from Manco's "gritty realistic" style towards Camuncoli's more cartoony style. Which I find gorgeous.

I liked the new characters; Phoebe seems to have a personality, which was more than Angie ever had, and the "Julian"-entity was suitably spooky.

The plotline seems to promise a nice mixture of weirdness and political commentary. Pretty much what I want from a Hellblazer-story in other words.

So yeah, I'm more than happy. I gave it 8 out of 10.

id give it an 8. i thought the story was great. the artwork looked wonderful. did these guys do captain atom armageddon?

No. It might have been the same artist, I'm not sure, I don't remember who did the art. Will Pfiffer wrote that Capt. Atom series though.

Solid 8. I like her character, and how well she was established so quickly. And I like that John's been (fairly) upfront about himself with her. It's probably setting up a being honest/lying dichotomy, but those tend to come out pretty well in Hellblazer I think.