Sign in to follow this  
Abhimanyu

Final Crisis 6

So what does everyone think? Do you think this development will last? Where do you think the Batman property is going to go from here? Am curious about what you guys think, given that many of you are very engaged with the Batman comics/character (as I am).

Well, first of all, the issue doesn't work. We touched on that already in the Comics thread.

I guess Morrison's plans are to recreate Kirby's New Gods concept with other DCU characters. From what I read, Bruce Wayne will truly become the "Bat God" and take a place in the vacant New Gods pantheon (or maybe instead of "vacant" it should be described as the new New Gods pantheon).

There's the big cross-over event coming soon where different Bat characters will vie for the cowl.

This is all seeming very much like Knightfall to me (that scares a lot of people, I know). I think if Morrison has his say in all this, the son of Batman is meant to take up the role of Batman.

Will it last? I highly doubt it. Remember Az-Bats? But, Morrison is going to make this really hard to go back to the status quo. Good for him I say. His Batman and Final Crisis were piss poor and written on automatic, but if he has this major plan to totally revamp the DCU, I say make it so that a panicked editor can't just hit the reset button at the drop of a hat. Hey, maybe it'll kill the franchise, but whatever. All Good Things...

I just don't think any character can work as well as Batman except Bruce Wayne. Anyone can take the mantel of Green Lantern (fans might not like it, but it's true), based on the character concept. But, Bruce Wayne is the freakin' Bat-Man.

So, even though market considerations mean that it will not happen any time soon, maybe it would be a good time to close one book on Batman and move on. I say "one book" because Batman will still exist as a space god by Morrison's will.

Yeah, I'm never really going to be sold on anyone other than Bruce Wayne being Batman. Not very excited about this development.

I could honestly do with having Grayson as Batman for a year or two.

That's of course if it was well written, deeply explorative and a very different Batman.

But let's face it...

You're right though, it it's to be anyone it should be Dick. We all know it will revert to the status quo at some point, so if they could transition to Dick and have compelling stories with him (perhaps showing how only one person can really be Batman, and that person is Bruce) it would be fun for the short term.

Hey let me throw this at everyone. First of all I think that this whole idea of the majors ie. the JLA becoming the All New All Differant New Gods is in a way almost a natural progression for those characters. If readers want static unbroken continuity than they have to become immortals. They can't continue to be thirty until we're in our seventies and keep continuity on a single track unless they do this or continue to have a twenty year reset crisis. Although in a way this is really the final crisis being that it once again like the original crisis and crisis on infinite earths explained both the existence of both Golden Age and Silver Age characters and then symplifying all of it with CIE this one solves a continuity problem. As to will it last, of course not, I mean Crisis on Infiite Earths didn't last, the "Death" of Superman, and Knightfall didn't last. So I mean of course this won't last. I am interested though to see where they go with it all. Also as to who should take up the mantle, I personally think that Jason taking up the mantle would be an intriguing twist on things. I mean Dick already has his adult persona, Nightwing. So than why not let the blacksheep of the family redeem himself by taking up the mantle? Just something to think about.

I'm confused. Did Batman meet a fiery death in a helicopter over the Gotham river in RIP, or did Darkseid's omega beams do him in in Final Crisis?

Either way, it won't last I'm sure. Bruce Wayne is Batman, full stop. Anyone stepping into his boots will be purely a temporary measure, but I'll play along for the time being.

However, after buying the shitload of Final Crisis I'm not jumping on the bandwagon for the battle for the cowl. I'll wait for the trade.

Batman RIP was followed up by the final Morrison story, Batman: Last Rites.

In Last Rites it was revealed that Batman survived the helicopter crash, and the actual fate of Batman was revealed in Last Rites.

After the events of Last Rites, the events of Final Crisis #6 took place, wherein Bruce Wayne was (apparently) killed.

I'm confused. Did Batman meet a fiery death in a helicopter over the Gotham river in RIP, or did Darkseid's omega beams do him in in Final Crisis?

Either "neither" or "the latter, but then he got better". It wasn't entirely clear.

That really should be the tagline for the trade - "FINAL CRISIS: It Wasn't Entirely Clear". Especially since the trade is apparently only collecting FC #1-7 and none of the tie-ins, which according to Morrison himself means you're only getting a little over 50% of the actual story. Great work, DC.

That really should be the tagline for the trade - "FINAL CRISIS: It Wasn't Entirely Clear".

Alternatively "FINAL CRISIS: The day evil won. And the day after when it all went back to normal, more or less"

Ah - see, that doesn't really bother me, since it's the sort of hype which was obviously bollocks from the very beginning. What really bugs me is DC selling FC as a seven-issue miniseries, when the guy who wrote it claims (but only after the book's finished, mind - he didn't bother mentioning it beforehand) that it was a 12-parter*. Oh, and with no way of knowing which tie-ins were "universe-building" fluff, and which were actually essential parts of the narrative.

Of course, it didn't help that scheduling fuck-ups also guaranteed that even these essential "tie-ins" didn't all come out in the order they needed to be read in, or that two of them weren't even clearly sold as FC issues. The whole thing's been a total clusterfuck, and it looks like it's not even going to be sorted out properly when the trades come out.

*I must admit, having read it with the necessary tie-ins in the order Morrison specified, his claim is quite correct - there are still some pretty substantial flaws in the storytelling, but at least it's a complete story.

I did see on that Morrison has suggested a reading order for the series, but only for the bits he was involved in.

Final Crisis #1-3

Superman Beyond #1-2

Submit

Final Crisis #4–5

Batman #682–683

Final Crisis #6–7

Didn't pick up Batman #682-683, hence my confusion.

But, to be honest, I was pretty fucking confused by much of it anyway even after reading all the tie-ins (well, the ones that have been published so far anyway).

Of course, it didn't help that scheduling fuck-ups also guaranteed that even these essential "tie-ins" didn't all come out in the order they needed to be read in, or that two of them weren't even clearly sold as FC issues.

Which tie-ins weren't clearly sold as FC issues, Mark? I'm still clinging to a hope that I missed a comic or two that actually explained things more clearly.

Oh, you didn't. I was thinking of the BATMAN issues, which, while they had a "FC tie-in" label on the cover, weren't presented with the same vertical "FINAL CRISIS" cover design which all the other major tie-ins had.