Sign in to follow this  
Trace

Mozza back to Vertigo?

Disagreed. It's got fuck-all to do with the contemporary mainstream DCU, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of baggage coming from older superhero books. There's a lot more to it than just that, but a huge portion part of Seven Soldiers is comprised of overt homages to Kirby, particularly his '70s DC stuff. It's not just the obvious stuff, like characters he chose to use - even the structure, with the way events in one book fill in gaps in the narrative of another without directly crossing-over, is a fairly direct extension of the way Kirby constructed his Fourth World books.

There's huge chunks of baggage from the 'Forties in there as well.

Ade's point regarding baggage seemed, to me at least, to point towards editorial DCU but as far as 7 Soldiers was concerned the baggage was all Morrison. If anything it could have done with a much stronger editorial hand. Most of his recent work could.

No reference to current DCU baggage was conveyed. The story(ies) was overwrought AND steeped in DCU history.

The complex stories could have been told elsewhere, and that'd have simplified, perhaps even improved it.

At best the stories seemed like someone thought it'd be a good idea to revisit Neil Gaiman's successes with <insert name of DC historical figure he took the name of> but Morrison's "Morrison" got in the way. On which point I agree with you on the bolded text rather than the tribute side of what he was doing. DC Editorial and their starfucking !

He's no Kurt Busiek.

Funny you should mention Busiek. He's another writer who's work for hire stuff often leaves me cold. Astro City is probably my second favourite series ever but I find that a lot of his "in continuity" work gets very bogged down with what's gone before.

I still don't see that the problems with Seven Soldiers were down to Morrison's fondness for the DCU. The problem with Seven Soldiers was Morrison. Period.

Having him write stories which better suit your taste won't change that.

Funny you should mention Busiek. He's another writer who's work for hire stuff often leaves me cold. Astro City is probably my second favourite series ever but I find that a lot of his "in continuity" work gets very bogged down with what's gone before.

Correct me if I am incorrect, but aren't you saying the reverse about Morrison ?

And therefore isn't your complaint about Busiek in continuity the same as my complaint about Morrison in continuity ?

Not that this changes your argument either way.

But perhaps you can see my point.

I still don't see that the problems with Seven Soldiers were down to Morrison's fondness for the DCU. The problem with Seven Soldiers was Morrison. Period.

One problem was the overconvoluted crossover storytelling, which is something he manages better in self-contained self-originated stories. Another problem was the need to tie this to previous material - although that seems to have passed you by - and that'd help from my perspective because it adds something new to the mix.

He can still do it. The Superman stories prove it.

I'd go further with Seven Soldiers and suggest there was a DC editorial requirement for him to come up with loads of characters to keep the trademarks live and also that they could asset-strip later.

That's his job too, but I prefer his stuff that does not require such a factor.

Talking of which ...

Having him write stories which better suit your taste won't change that.

Granted (...) but having him write stories that don't have the above constraints (exceptions noted previously) suits my taste.

If his overconvoluted storytelling in Invisibles is anything to go by, the reality is different.

He's enjoying playing with the toybox, but it's mostly unenjoyable for me, and it seems increasingly enjoyable for those who like that sort of thing.

One problem was the overconvoluted crossover storytelling, which is something he manages better in self-contained self-originated stories. Another problem was the need to tie this to previous material - although that seems to have passed you by - and that'd help from my perspective because it adds something new to the mix.

This "problem" is a fairly subjective one, as I'm sure you'd be happy to admit, though. For myself, and most of the people I've spoken to who enjoyed Seven Soldiers enormously, that convoluted crossover storytelling, and the piecing together of same, was a large part of the series' appeal.