A. Heathen

The Unwritten

The Lucifer creative team Mike Carey and Peter Gross have a new creator-owned monthly series called The Unwritten. Saying that the team has wanted to collaborate since Lucifer ended, Berger explained that they are “sort of alike a two-headed beast on this book.” Carey is listed as the writer, but Gross is contributing story ideas, Karen explained.

Carey described the series as being about a British writer who authored thirteen books about a young boy magician, a characters based on his son. After the last book, the writer disappeared, and the son is now famous as a fictional character. People call him “Tommy” and he signs his dad’s books and goes to conventions. When he is suddenly challenged to explain who he really is, he finds that his own ideas about who he is are completely wrong. “He may actually be a fictional character,” Carey said. “There’s no evidence that he was actually born. He’s maybe a viral character created by his father or the boy wizard come to life,” Gross added.

Carey added that the series is a conspiracy thriller. With shadowy characters manipulating the stories we read to their own ends. The series is “about the world of fiction, the power of fiction,” Gross expounded. “The Neocons started a war in Iraq based on a story.” The son will have to prove he’s real by proving he has this life that he absolutely hates.

Sounds potentially-decent, although the lack of a high-concept hook makes me fear for its long-term survival prospects.

Yeah, know what you mean.

'Man who finds out he might be fictional literarily tries to find himself' (or something similar but, you know, better) might have been a decent phrase to be throwing around to really grab!!

There is a high concept.

It's alluded to in the aforementioned mentionings.

I just hope no-one gives it ayway before folks get to read it*.

ALthough that of course requires people to be hooked in by that first issue.

(*And no, I won't be saying any more.)

Well, judging on past performance might not be a perfectly accurate way to go about things, but what else are we supposed to do?.

( By we, I mean we people unable to simply feed our comic habit with everything that comes to pass. Be very nice to be able to afford to buy stuuf just because it was being sold )

Lucifer was so good, I think the bald idea in the op might be as if someone said "Lucifer quit hell, God quit heaven, and Lucifer decided he wasn't going to stay home and twiddle his thumbs". Or however someone would have pitched it. The good devil was in the detail work.

I am hopeful they will make something worth reading again.

THE UNWRITTEN #1

Click Here For Cover

Written by Mike Carey

Art by Peter Gross

Cover by Yuko Shimizu

Everyone's read the Tommy Taylor books, the popular series of novels turned pop culture phenomenon about a boy wizard’s adventures. And everyone knows about Tom Taylor, the boy the novels were based on, whose life was so overshadowed by his Dad’s fictional epic that Tom’s become a lame Z-level celebrity at best and a human viral marketing tool at worst.

But what if the resemblance goes even deeper? What if Tom is the boy-wizard of the books made flesh? And if that sounds crazy, why is it bringing him into the crosshairs of an ancient faction that has never been named in any book or text?

To discover the truth about himself, Tom must search through all the places in history where fiction and reality have intersected. And in the process, he’ll learn more about that unwritten cabal and the plot they’re at the center of –– a plot that spans all of literature from the first clay tablets to the gothic castles where Frankenstein was conceived to the self-adjusting stories of the internet.

A conspiracy mystery a la The Da Vinci Code, THE UNWRITTEN is the eagerly anticipated reunion of Mike Carey (X-Men, HELLBLAZER) and Peter Gross (FABLES, Chosen) – the team behind the multiple Eisner-nominated LUCIFER. Acclaimed artist Yuko Shimizu (SANDMAN: DREAM HUNTERS) joins the duo on covers, and the series kicks off with a 4-issue opening storyarc with the extra-sized 40-page debut promo-priced at only $1.00!

On sale May 13 • 40 pg, FC, $1 US • MATURE READERS

That's a much stronger sell than the initial press release from the NYCC.

I'm in for the first trade, at least.

Nice cover, he has been caught in a word-spout. A text tsunami.

I like the idea of a plot that spans ALL literature, shades of Phillp Jose Farmers "To you scattered bodies go", it can have any amazing character that has lived, in flesh or in print.

Sounds like there is worlds of potential.

The preview of Unwritten in the back of various current DC books looks pretty damn good. I'm sold.

A rather interesting concept being laid down by Carey and Gross. I do see the Neil Gaiman comparison and could easily see this as being sprung from a one-off story in Sandman.

Its all "what is real?" "what is fiction?" "do those lines blur?" And I really like that sort of story.

The art was very good.

Just read the first issue, and I'm thoroughly hooked. Very nicely written, and with a promising setup for a good yarn. I also agree that the art works very well, but then again I think Gross's art on Lucifer also was strong, most of the time. So far, Carey's track record makes me hopeful he'll pull off the entire series, and not disappoint halfway through.