A. Heathen

The Unwritten

Ok, I just read Unwritten. One word: BRILLIANT.

I like when stories like this when touch on past characters and/or concepts that you may have forgotten. Makes me want to go back and re-read the series.

Read the first trade of "Unwritten".

Very nice, I think it is going to be one of those comics you can read a second time within a few weeks.

I may just see about adding this to my monthly Hellblazer.

( When I went into the shop, Stu who owns it and always is suggesting new comics I might like, was pricing some new arrivals. He smiled slyly and asked me if I knew about this comic, and handed me a copy of the trade. Damn. )

Very nice, I think it is going to be one of those comics you can read a second time within a few weeks.

Speaking from experience, it is! Every few weeks I've gone back to re-read an arc or from the start.

Speaking from experience, it is! Every few weeks I've gone back to re-read an arc or from the start.

When's that second trade come out? this is the first book that i'm picking up in trade form instead of the monthlies, but the wait is killing me.

Why has this not had its own thread?.

I just got the second trade and the subsequent singles that catch me up to the present time, I have read the first two comics in the collection, and felt compelled to come and share my joy.

It is the best comics I have ever held.

Poor old Zooey Deschanel, cast aside for a comic book character. I have a fan-crush of scary proportion on Lizzie Hexam. And the literal literary direction she takes, what sort of creature is she? I can't wait to see. For that matter, what kind of creature is Tom?.

The way the web forums are used for exposition and exploration in the comic, well, you guys probably read a lot more comics than I even know exist, so maybe it is passée to you in the extreme, done to death, but it really makes me quite happy. I can almost hear the entries in our voices. :)

And the way the literary ghost/s of places inform Toms' actions, force him into roles, :)<3

The ARTWORK ! It is delicious, like an illuminated manuscript in places. And POEMS!.

Just the throwaway stuff alone in the collections, on title pages and in margins, is awesome work, like stand alone art!.

This is my favourite comic. Reading Hellblazer is disappointing after it.

I am going to resist the urge to read all these comics in one morning, too much like gluttony.

Oooh! Second trade. I picked up the first one a couple of months ago in Dubai and enjoyed it, though it didn't quite grip me until the one-off story about Rudyard Kipling (parallels with the first Lucifer trade, there). Slightly disappointed that Peter Gross is the artist. Not that he's bad, mind you - his composition, storytelling, use of shadow and light etc are all grand. I just find his character designs fairly samey, lifeless and unengaging. I always preferred Dean Ormston anyway, though I accept that his stuff might have been a bit too grotesque for the everyday sequences.

Hey ho. Will grab the second volume ASAP.

+2.

I'm still enjoying this hugely. Quite a bit better than Crossing Midnight, so far...

yeah, the Kipling part was great, I literally had a flashback to being 4 or 5 years old and having the "Whale gets his throat" read to my by my sister dear. I actually felt as if for a second, I was hearing it for the first time again.

I liked how Kipling was tempted, fell, and was not defeated.

I really love how it is playing with all the Harry Potter parallels too, especially the mad fans on the web. :) Will we get Tom and Lizzie slash, do you think?. :)

EXCELLENT! Zooey Deschanel is now mine!

I hope this weekend to re-re-read the series to date

The "bunny issue" still stands out as pure genius.

Of course, my vow to not read it all at once, simply because I had my hands on it, lasted all of 2 hours.

[ Spoiler : the single most effective spells cast in a book I read this year. HUZZAH ! Smite the Unbelievers !. It made me so happy.

"The wand just CHANNELS the spirit, the real power comes from INSIDE you"

"Can you explain what happened?. . . Well?"

"All who HAVE the spark must protect and STAND by the spark".

VERITAS APPARITUR! ( which I read as "Reveal truth", am I right?. )

( With APOLOGIES to Spain, but that is how the STORY did the punctuation. :P ) ]

I've been buying it monthly, and enjoying it hugely. I just hope the ending has a good payoff. Possibly Carey's best work since Lucifer.

I would love to get a line drawing of Mr Bun shaking his fist at the sky. That was so beautifully drawn, that issue!.

I've been buying it monthly, and enjoying it hugely. I just hope the ending has a good payoff. Possibly Carey's best work since Lucifer.

Possibly? How can there be any doubt of that? Are you counting prose as well as comics?

Possibly? How can there be any doubt of that? Are you counting prose as well as comics?

I'd say it certainly has the potential to be better than Lucifer. But I will wait to judge after Unwritten ends. And hopefully that will not be for several more years

I also hope they forge a long tale, but actually I can't help feeling it reads like it will be one of the shorter efforts, Fawlty Towers rather than Dads Army.

Originally, I had a hard time getting into it but love it now. My favorite issue is the one with the cursing rabbit. Cursing rabbits are cool.

Yes I am.

The current issue (Choose-Your-Own-Unwritten) is one of the most entertaining comics in years.

Unwritten is not resting on its laurels, as Carey is continuing to experiment with the limits of this series, pushing the boundaries of mundane comics.

When most comics take 10 minutes to read and leave you bored afterwards, this issue takes up time and leaves you impressed afterwards.

Who would've guessed that you could translate the "choose-your-own-adventure" children's books to the comic world?

I got the wrong ending once (because I chose all the negative options, because I'm dark like that), and then I went back and got to the actual ending.

I'm not sure how many possible paths there are to the actual ending though.

Who would've guessed that you could translate the "choose-your-own-adventure" children's books to the comic world?

I might be showing my age here, but I'd say: Anyone who remembers the short-lived 2000AD 'Dice Man' and others back in the '80s craze for such things.

There were a couple of strips reprinted in one of the recent 'Nemesis the Warlock' collections.

Aww...the best I get to remember are illustrated prose comics popping up in 1980s American comics.

We Yanks didn't get to read old 2000 AD strips.

We only got the Quality Comics reprints of famous 2000 AD strips in the late-1980s.

I didn't see my first non-reprint British comic until I moved to Canada.

On Diceman:

"You are Ronald Reagan in: Twilight's Last Gleaming," a satirical spoof in which the reader, playing the part of the American president, must prevent nuclear war breaking out. This strip was unusual because if the player's sanity score gets too high, then the Secret Service assume that the president must have been replaced with an imposter (a comment on Reagan's perceived intellectual limitations). This game was exceptionally difficult compared with the others in the comic, as the player must make irrational decisions to avoid arrest and execution.

HA! Priceless!

If you enjoyed the Diceman stuff (I didn't see the Reagan one myself), you might also enjoy the You Are Margaret Thatcher: A Dole Playing Game book Pat Mills did with Hunt Emerson at much the same time.

I really love how it is playing with all the Harry Potter parallels too, especially the mad fans on the web. :) Will we get Tom and Lizzie slash, do you think?. :)

Not how slash works, old pal.

I read the first few issues when they came out, but the Kipling issues had me stymmied. Cursive, you know.

Anyway I started reading it again because I thought Zooey Deschanel was involved, somehow. Now I understand your post, though, and have joined the love.