A. Heathen

The Unwritten

I'm guessing that it's probably an excerpt from the actual Book of One Thousand and One Nights.

Sure, that's not exactly specific, but the Sindbad stories are excellent reads...

Those Robert Irwin editions are wonderful. pricey, though.

Yay, the cussing rabbit is back! :boogie:

Seconded. That was another great issue. I love Pauly.

This was a brilliant issue all round.

Who did you spot in the crowd?

:-)

A comics' site on Facebook has a great item about this issue

I have to say I think it's good that this is a Hellblazer web-site and not a The Unwritten web-site.

Sure, you could spend a lot of time dissecting each issue for the nuances and references, but otherwise, each issue's poll would be 10 and the reviews would all be "I loved this issue. Another great issue."

This one does rank as one of my favourite issues, up there with the first Pauly issue and the Kipling story.

It's much more fun to have Hellblazer where we can make sarcastic remarks for each issue.

Well then, let me just say I didn't like the Moby Dick arc one bit until its conclusion. I liked that issue very much though, but it marks the first time I can recall disliking a story arc in a comic series so much but loving the concluding issue. Usually, lately, particularly with Hellblazer, the opposite has been true--liked the arc, hated the ending.

Just got done reading the 3rd trade. Boy was that "Choose Your Own Adventure" issue fun. This is a great book.

This was a brilliant issue all round.

Who did you spot in the crowd?

I don't have the issue at hand, but I recall these:

skalman_106668757.gif

snorkfroken.jpg

babar.jpg

Shrek-the-Third-Three-Blind-Mice-01.jpg

fox-web_784860i.jpg

Wow, is this the next issues cover, or someones fan tribute?.

It is very nice, evocative of a bygone day. Right down to the impression it is printed on the old cheap paper.

Does Snorkmaiden count as being hidden in the crowd? She was the damned narrator, for heaven's sake...

(The best cameo was Piglet's disinterest in the sausages, I'd have said. You have to admire the way Carey was able to find plenty of furries for the crowd scenes outside of Milne and Graham...)

So, I just caught up with the past 10-15 issues, and I'll just express my enjoyment of the series so far. The browser-tab bits are especially well handled and ground the story more than any other similar method.

The choose-your-own-adventure issue was really well done, and I'm loving the main cast, Carey's work with them is so deceptively simple and deftly-handled yet you can find echoes of many other stories, from the obvious (Harry Potter, Lucifer, Tim Hunter, the story of Milne's son, The Invisibles), to the ones you'll think you're projecting them yourself (the reluctant hero, his unpredictable lover and their redheaded vampire friend, now where have we seen that before?).

I'm really lapping up the complicated relationship that Tom has with the Tommy Taylor books, since I can see bits of my own (not nearly important or grand) attitude towards the Potter books.

And I think the various literary tropes are handled with greater understanding and meaning than they were in that Great Fables Crossover, which had some interesting bits, but fizzled out when they mostly started getting played for laughs.

Hope this book never gets cancelled.

Really? I'm hoping that Carey's writing it with a definite end in mind, rather than planning to keep milking it until the audience loses interests, meself.

I was speaking more figuratively - I know he has an ending planned, in fact in the interview posted earlier in this thread, they both say they've just wrapped the first act of the story, and aim for the #75 at least as the endpoint, but I was more thinking along the lines of having the sales and the ideas to carry this one as far as they can go with it. Besides, I hear they're planning OGN's that will "adapt" the Tommy Taylor books. I think that the exploration of literary works could be mined for some great stuff. Either way, even with a planned ending, I'll be sorry to see this one go, when the time comes, just like Lucifer and Crossing Midnight.

Really pissed off at the latest issue (#26). Not due to the story but it being packed with advertisements: a Green Lantern movie banner on the front; A Super 8 comic in the middle and several pages of John Constantine in the DCU in the back (very poorly drawn, by the way. at least the Super 8 stuff was drawn by the great Tommy Lee Edwards). and they wonder why people switch to the trades...

I agree. It is horrilbe having all that extra advertising. The covers to the Flashpoint tie-ins are even worse.

It's Booster Gold....Flashpoint....with Green Lantern at the top. uhhhhhh

At least that's the DCU though. Vertigo really isn't meant to be hocking all the DC stuff.

That Green Lantern logo on the cover of Unwritten is really gaudy.

I forget what comic I first saw the Super 8 ad in, but I flipped through the comic and saw something about a dog in space, and I thought it was part of the story. I was frankly confused about why that was part of the plot, but I thought we were going to see some some of Morrison style madness, then I sadly discovered it was just a movie ad.

What's the deal with that movie's name anyway? Is it about a super-powered motel chain?

This wasn't my favourite story-arc (only two issues though), but it looks like the next story-line is going to be exceptional.

Hints at Metropolis (not Superman!) on the letter's page...

The ads have been annoying me for quite a while, I fucking hate to see the "Teasers" for other comics in the back of the comic I brought to read, if I wanted to read some shitty fucking american vamopire book, I would have fucking brought that one. It feels like they stole pages off the comic I wanted to read.

However, one or two page ads for books or games, I can just ignore. Something added to the artwork of the cover, a large part of the pleasure to be had from any comic?. Not happy with that.

Super 8 is a type of film and film camera that is legendary among directors/filmmakers. Also this.

I think the current arc of Unwritten is going to be my favourite.

Lovely covers, a noirish feel that could be a stylistic choice or could be part of the story.

Remeniscent of Sandman Mystery Theater.

Excellent meta-textual comics history along the lines of The Escapist and The Escapists.

And surprising twists in the past.

Originally solicited as "Teratogenesis" but changed to "On To Genesis"

Ontogenesis - The development of an organism.

On To Genesis - The Secret Origin of Tommy Taylor?

Wilson's 6 principles

Along with this new awareness of the in utero vulnerability of the developing mammalian embryo came the development and refinement of The Six Principles of Teratology which are still applied today. These principles of teratology were put forth by Jim Wilson in 1959 and in his monograph Environment and Birth Defects.[7] These principles guide the study and understanding of teratogenic agents and their effects on developing organisms:

1 Susceptibility to teratogenesis depends on the genotype of the conceptus and the manner in which this interacts with adverse environmental factors.

2 Susceptibility to teratogenesis varies with the developmental stage at the time of exposure to an adverse influence. There are critical periods of susceptibility to agents and organ systems affected by these agents.

3 Teratogenic agents act in specific ways on developing cells and tissues to initiate sequences of abnormal developmental events.

4 The access of adverse influences to developing tissues depends on the nature of the influence. Several factors affect the ability of a teratogen to contact a developing conceptus, such as the nature of the agent itself, route and degree of maternal exposure, rate of placental transfer and systemic absorption, and composition of the maternal and embryonic/fetal genotypes.

5 There are four manifestations of deviant development (Death, Malformation, Growth Retardation and Functional Defect).

6 Manifestations of deviant development increase in frequency and degree as dosage increases from the No Observable Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) to a dose producing 100% Lethality (LD100).

:-)