A. Heathen

The Unwritten

I kept reading that as "development of an orgasm". I was thinking, "No, that's not quite the right word", then I figured out it was me that has the complex, as that's not what you wrote.

I didn't catch that as to the story's title. I only focused on the literary reference, obviously "Genesis" first book of the Bible, and the creation of man(kind) by God.

"Tera to Genesis" wouldn't have the same ring, unless a certain character from the past was originally meant to be named "Tera".

I am so enjoying this comic. The lady Wilson meets is an amazing character, you can just imagine her making her way in the art world between the great wars, hope for the future doomed by the future merely being more of the past. One of the most emotionally moving comic characters I have ever read, I so hope she survives.

Once again the devil gets the best lines, though, I really don't like mr pullman one little bit.

Another great issue as Tom & friends take on the Tinker, discovering some more cold shit Wilson did. I want to see a one-shot or mini-series starring the Tinker, either as the comic character or about the "real life" happenings.

In a related story, my girlfriend is now hooked on Unwritten. When I told her the basics she was intrigued and has started reading from #1. Since she is a bibliophile and works in a book store, she really gets a kick out of the literary references.

I bet a lot of conventions get a few "Tinkers"

Justice Never Sleeps. Goes right to the heart of a lot of what old school comics was all about.

The Unwritten is my favourite comic at the moment, funny, it is so good, but we don't talk as much about it, I wonder why?. The art is just as cool, but I thought the faces felt a trifle rushed this issue, not as expressive?.

I kept reading that as "development of an orgasm". I was thinking, "No, that's not quite the right word", then I figured out it was me that has the complex, as that's not what you wrote.

I didn't catch that as to the story's title. I only focused on the literary reference, obviously "Genesis" first book of the Bible, and the creation of man(kind) by God.

"Tera to Genesis" wouldn't have the same ring, unless a certain character from the past was originally meant to be named "Tera".

"Teratogenesis" means the creation of a monster, Christian. I think the medical term for a chemical that causes deformity is a "teratogen" so that one's a pun as well, but not half as good a pun as "On To Genesis"...

(And Ade covered that already. Oh well.)

I even really enjoyed the letter's page of this month's issue. The letter about Grant Morrison.

Next month things get really exciting for The Unwritten, as the ".5 initiative" begins (heh).

Kaluta and Talbot?

Sweet! Even if they're just doing finishes as Locke did in the pulp story, that should be interesting.

How cool, love that cover.

I guess it is referencing the cultural destruction of China, dragged out over a century, promoted by "the west" i.e. the stories bad guiding "angels" .Chinese referencing artwork, semi authentic Chinese armor. Sort of vaguely Samurai chonmage, but that may have been just another thing the Japanese swiped from China of course.

Love how the flames make it look like he is walking forward, but his face, and attitude look like his walking forward, means flames.

No, the Tinker is the Tinker, but he was inspired by a bunch of mythology, including Orpheus.

Yes, I'd have to say it is.

Unfortunately, issue #33.5 was one of the weakest stories from the series.

It read like a fill-in story. One of those pretentious historical tales that most Vertigo series had to include in the 1990s.

Was this always meant to be the story in this issue? I thought that the .5 issues were moving further back in time with each one.

It wasn't horrible. It had its moments. But, it was, overall, pretty cliched and obvious.

Maybe it needs a follow-up issue down the way to make it read better.

I thought it added nicely to the mythology of how stories have power in the world.

And it was a nice secret origin tale.

I just have to pop by to gush about how much I'm enjoying this series. Mike really is firing on all cylinders on this one. I enjoyed both the origin stories, and the main story is steaming along. It wasn't really a big surprise, but still [ Spoiler : very funny how the "Cabal" turned out to be nothing but glorified pawns. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the confrontation with Pullman works out. ]

Yes, I enjoyed the reveal also. It wasn't unexpected, but the reaction of the characters to finding out the truth made it work.

For a little bit, Carey had me convinced that things really were as they appeared, which was disappointing, as I expected bigger things.

umm...I think so. :icon_wink:

The final .5 issue was another great read. Using the Angel of Mons was, in hindsight, such an obvious story to use in this book, yet I never considered that Carey would play with it.

The .5 initiative was a great success, unlike Marvel's .1 initiative that they were unable to figure out what the purpose of them was supposed to be.

I found one of them a bit weak, but the rest ranked as some of the best comics every month.

The Gilgamesh themed issue is a modern classic.

Gilgamesh was tops.

Art, surprises, non-surprises, non-surprises that were handled surprisingly, and most of all, dialogue.

Makes one want to repeatedly punch George Lucas in the face all over again. "It isn't impossible to write epic fucking dialogue, George, it is just that YOU CAN'T DO IT !".

George can't even write phatic dialogue, sadly.

The only (minor) problem I had with this issue was the art. Gary Erksine doesn't do it for me.

Defintely feels finale-ish right now to me. But I guess it's selling good so maybe not. I love how not-decompressed the storytelling is here