A. Heathen

The Unwritten

Yes, so much happening in the issue. So excellent. I love a comic packed full of information.

It's so rare today in comics, as each month feels like a bread crumb, rather than a filling loaf of bread.

I don't think it feels like a finale, at all, though. It feels like the end of the first act, or maybe reaching the half-way point.

I see a lot of potentital for plenty more story coming out of this issue.

It's hard to see Carey being able to pull off more stories like he's told for the last three years (like, where can he go from here, how does he top this?), but there are plenty of tales still left untapped that play with the theme of The Unwritten. It is an almost infinite world that Carey is playing within, after all. The history of human imagination and the whole of fiction.

Yeah you know what, I agree...I guess it just feels like a finale cause there's actually been mad plot and development and stuff here...at the same time, I feel like Carey's doing a hero-with-a-thousand-faces arc and that feels like it's winding up. Anyone else get the feeling that

it's heading in an Invisibles Vol 3 metafiction/messianic era direction now that the head of the cabal is dead?

I got the WW1 middle issue today, and read it, wow, great isn't the word. Love the reveal. And the way he uses it to escape.

Brilliant art. The covers are so good, I might frame one or two comics.

I have the next issue too, but I am going to read it in a few days, working lots of hours and shit, need to eek out my pleasures.

Yeah you know what, I agree...I guess it just feels like a finale cause there's actually been mad plot and development and stuff here...at the same time, I feel like Carey's doing a hero-with-a-thousand-faces arc and that feels like it's winding up. Anyone else get the feeling that

it's heading in an Invisibles Vol 3 metafiction/messianic era direction now that the head of the cabal is dead?

I think it will be the opposite of your spoiler actually.

Reads Reds Spoiler.

[ Spoiler : AHA. How come then, that he is in Gilgameshs' story?. Wasn't Gilgamesh long before the Jewish books were written?. ]

Well, you could argue meta-textually that the Gilgamesh story actually did occur earlier.

I don't think there's anything in the story that negates this as a possibility.

Or, it might be that because this series is all about the impact of fiction on consciousness, the actual chronology is meaningless compared to belief.

You'll need to read the issue. It's not exactly an "orthodox" interpretation of the religious story.

Yeah, as soon as I posted that I said to myself,

"Doh, dickhead, it is a story about stories, someone internal to the story merely wrote one guy into the others story, and "Taa Daa!", you have the story you read".

I could have edited it, but half the fun around you blokes is making an error and , not just being shown why I was wrong, which, meh, I can get from my family any day of the week, but reading your reasoning, which is the reason I come here.

Also Cain and Abel are in the part of Genesis that's pre-Abrahamic which is textually closer to other middle eastern tradtions

Mike Carey does touch on that, to some extent, in the issue.

He uses that and also more of a Gnostic interpretation of the story.

Reads Reds Spoiler.

[ Spoiler : AHA. How come then, that he is in Gilgameshs' story?. Wasn't Gilgamesh long before the Jewish books were written?. ]

As others have alluded to, [ Spoiler : the myth of Cain and Abel could very well predate Babylon even if the Abrahamic texts were written down later. In the comic, he clearly states that his story happened waaaay before any literary culture existed, and that the story was transmitted orally. ]

The names "Cain and Abel" are certainly taken from Hebrew though, but with what the Biblical story alludes to, it would have to pre-date writing.

I think the oldest surviving text of the story is from the Dead Sea Scrolls, actually.

[ Spoiler : Yeah, my inital post was spurred by half thinking it through, and saying to myself "Adam and Eve were written/told as a story a such and such a point, Gilgamesh written/told as a story some thousand years earlier. But of course, they take effect as story characters, so are stories set in different times to those they were composed in. ]

Wow.

I now see what you guys meant about logical end to the story soon.

:(

[ Spoiler : I will miss nastyman, he had the best lines and the most straight forward motive of all the characters. He wasn't bad, just re-writing himself that way . . . well, ok, he was bad too, just let himself go all out, hoping to get a badguy end. Fucking loved the take on Able too, bloody priests, just want a way out of working for a living!.

I like how utterly manipulative Pullman was, how else would you end up after 5000 years of putting up with people?.I also Like very much "I am going to do my Vampire thing now" hahahaha. ]

In some ways, though, wasn't he also probably the character closest to a hero (I guess anti-hero) in the series as of yet?

I'd have to say that your comment, which you retracted a bit, is spot on. The story took precedence over the character as an individual.

It's the ambigious nature of the series, which is also why I think Carey has a lot more ground to cover.

Almost, but not quite, off topic: I've just got hold of a copy of Peter Gross' Empire Lanes. This is very much a sub Elfquest '80s fantasy indie (which also owes an awful lot to the initial, non crap and unBlaired run of Warlock 5, which isn't a bad thing). Better than a lot of the old '80s fantasy comics I've seen, even if Gross is sporting a far more cartoony style there than what's now his usual schtick.

I'd have to say that your comment, which you retracted a bit, is spot on.

yeah, you mean how I said first one thing about him, then the "opposite" right?. It is apt, because he had free will at least to start, but was constrained too, so who knows what was "his" doing and what was the story, so I doubt anyone could actually write one line about him and have it accurate.

Though I also strongly doubt he would have dyed his hair white and put on a Santa Claus suit and gone about being kind to fluffy bunnies if he could have "got free". I imagine an awful lot of hate for Humanity would build up if Humanity kept you alive for 5000 years, playing out a role they dictated by repeating fairy tales.

I so hope they find lots more to write about. Best comic I have ever read I think.

For the attention of the so-called British comic awards

Here are the Eisner nominations

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/04/04/2012-eisner-nomination-are-out-topped-by-daredevil/

"The Unwritten (Best Single Issue, Best Writer for Mike Carey, Best Cover Artist for Yuko Shimizu)"

The Unwritten #24: “Stairway to Heaven” by Mike Carey, Peter Gross, and Al Davison (Vertigo/DC)

A nomination for best writer! That's quite awesome, really. Hope he gets it.

I thought the story was great. It served as a nice prologue.

I was thinking that maybe Carey should have waited longer to bring back The Tinker, but maybe Carey didn't have any other plans for the character either.

The art in this whole series veers from "pretty good' to "HOLY FUCKING HELL" at the drop of a hat, sometimes three times in a single issue.

Great stuff. Thanks for the link Ade. Do you know anything more about that werewolf book he's talking about?