JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #252

19 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, for #252

I'm just really enjoying it. There's nothing 'shaking up the Hellblazer universe and things will never be the same' - just John getting stuck into something he didn't mean to and sorting it out.

Future issue solicits look like there's gonna be some nice variety too.

Solid 8.

I gave it a 7. I enjoy it, but am not awed. I like the tone, and the art is still refreshing, and the scab baby gave me the heebie-jeebies (which is good). But I'm not too convinced at Milligan's ability to confer that something's at stake here. Which is odd, given the content of the story.

Another 8. Politics, whether I agree with them or not, a sense of the weird, as slightly queasy feeling in my stomach after reading it, and interesting characters. Liked it.

Solid, only a slight letdown from the first issue. Gave it an 8. (I gave the first a 9, I think)

I'm sure it's going to end up as some STD. That's what you get when you suck the Capitalist cock, or so I've been told.

That's pretty clever — I wonder if it'll actually turn out to be an element of the story?

For all intents and purposes, you were right.

Finally got a copy of this.

I am warming to the art, and the stories pacing has improved, leaving me well pleased. 8/10

But I'm not totally satisfied. I think this run would fit John's personality better if it had followed Jenkin's run, rather than Diggle's.

Finally got a copy of this.

I am warming to the art, and the stories pacing has improved, leaving me well pleased. 8/10

But I'm not totally satisfied. I think this run would fit John's personality better if it had followed Jenkin's run, rather than Diggle's.

I agree. I'm getting fairly tired of writers ignoring what came before. The current version of John does not follow well what Diggle did with the character.

It's all them drugs that Grant Morrison (the narc) talked about him doing.

Writers runs on Hellblazer tend to be self-contained.

It wasn't until Mike Carey that all the continuity started to get brought in to the book. Then, Mina and Diggle tried to carry over from Carey...Mina in a half-assed way, Diggle unsure if he should follow through on Carey or Mina.

Ennis' run shared nothing in common with Delano's John.

Then, with Ennis, they started the habit of killing off the supporting cast (or eliminating them all) before a writer left the book, to give the next writer a clean slate.

I'm glad we're going with the more self-contained elements. Otherwise, we'll all realize just how little John has progressed since the Ennis days (which was actually a regression from Delano in many ways, although not all).

With the way John is usually drawn (young), there's no way to even tell when most of the writers Hellblazer stories even take place (other than Milligan mentioning Kit, so it takes place after Ennis).