Sign in to follow this  
Venkman

Absolute collectors

Inspired by the talk of an 'Absolute Hellblazer' in the Hellblazer year thread, I was just curious which Absolute editions have inspired you to fork out?

Sandman

Starman

I'll probably get the Death one.

Is there a Starman one? Or do you just mean the Omnibus addition, that's smaller than Absloute.

I have all the Sandman ones and

Watchmen

Sandman, and when I can summon up the funds, I'll pick up the Watchmen book.

I picked up the first Sandman one a month or so ago, and am slowly working my way thru that. I'd never read that Title before, so it was a bit of a gamble, but i had some gift cards to use up, so that's what i spent it on. Now i'm just have to scrape up funds for the other 3.

Do the Starman books have the Shades Journal Texts in them? That story was split up so randomly through-out the series, I'd really like it to be compiled all in one place. I'm sure it doesn't include the Shade Mini or the impossible to find Showcase stories, and that's too bad because they are good pieces that flesh out the story a bit. Also one of the best parts of early Starman was Jame's Letter Column. It felt like you really got to know him be reading those.

Do the Starman books have the Shades Journal Texts in them? That story was split up so randomly through-out the series, I'd really like it to be compiled all in one place. I'm sure it doesn't include the Shade Mini or the impossible to find Showcase stories, and that's too bad because they are good pieces that flesh out the story a bit. Also one of the best parts of early Starman was Jame's Letter Column. It felt like you really got to know him be reading those.

Volume 1 Collecting Starman issues #0 to 16

Volume 2 Collecting Starman issues #17 to 29, Starman Annual #1 and stories from Showcase ’95 #12 and Showcase ’96 #4 to 5.

Volume 3 Collecting Starman issues #30 to 38, Starman Annual #2, Starman Secret Files #1 and The Shade #1 to 4. (due in June)

Volume 4 ???

Yeah, this is supposed to be the complete, complete Starman edition.

Ignoring that they're omnibi, I might get the Starman ones at some point.

All the other absolute editions I've seen released, I already own all the stories (individual or in Trades), and especially at that price, I really only want to read the stories and don't have any reason to buy them.

I have all the Starman comics on a computer disc (present from Rogan). I'd like to own hard copies of them at some point, but at the cost of these books, at least I do own them in some form for the time being.

Some of the prices are insane. The Captain Britain volumn (maybe that's listed as an omnibus though? not sure) is about $100. The comics it reprints are impossible to find too. Luckily I have the Trades that contain the entire Alan Moore and Jamie Delano runs though, and could care less about the Claremont issues, so I didn't need to worry about the insane pricing.

As far as omnibus editions, I don't believe I own anything under that title either, as of yet. I'm going to get Jack Kirby's The Demon Omnibus in the next few weeks though.

I once brought the Absolute Authority for £30 and sold it two years later for £80, that's about as much as I want to have with Absolute Editions.

I want to pick up the Starman one. It was the only series that came out of the zero hour that survived. Anybody remember Fate or Primal Force?

Didn't they give Fate a hook hand, an eye patch, and a punk rock hair-do?

Yeah. That was a good idea.

I didn't dare touch that book....not after the sheer joy I got from J.M. DeMatteis' Dr. Fate, which still ranks as one of my all-time favourite DC series.

all four Sandmans and Watchmen. I'll probably also will be getting the Death one, and, once I have the funds, possibly the Promethea Absolutes.

I'll probably be getting Promethea as well, now that I remember it's coming. Also, All-Star Superman when it's inevitably announced some time in the next year.

I'll probably be getting Promethea as well, now that I remember it's coming. Also, All-Star Superman when it's inevitably announced some time in the next year.

oh, hell yeah. that's why I didn't buy other two collections: I want Quitely's art on a bigger page.

Same here. I want it in trade, but since there's no doubt that it'll be getting the Absolute treatment before long, I'm happy to wait, rather than buying the trades twice.

Absolute Watchmen.

The first 5 chapters are mind-blowingly awesome in this format, probably my favorite sequence of issues of any comic ever. Reading it made me feel like Dr. John Bowman after he leaves Discovery One. Love all the extras, especially Moore's crazy script. God damn, what a satisfying read. I already thought Watchmen was one of the best comics of all time, now I know it is the best.

Star-Child approves.