JohnMcMahon

The Toy Thread

Now I'm sad. Because I'm missing Sandman Mystery Theatre, the JSA and Secret Six by Gail Simone.

Yeah. I know. I've been digging through my DC boxes of late, finding all these great series I used to love.

Then, I think about the New 52, where Animal Man is the only book I have any interest in reading.

I sometimes have a short memory about how many great books DC has published over the years, as the New 52 has killed my caring about the DCU.

christian, have you seen the john constantine heroclix? it's apparently a collectors item. i havent seen one for less than $30.

Yeah. The local comic shop has one. It's $25 there. I wouldn't pay that much for it, especially since it's based on the New 52 version. It doesn't look very nice.

http://herominis.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/j/njl019f.jpg

I was wondering why the price went so high for it.

Marvel has a Hannibal King figurine, which I have, which could easily pass for JC. Hannibal King is cooler than Constantine at this point anyway.

1015080.jpg

pain the hair blonde. BAM! Then NO ONE, aside from us here, need know your terrible secret :laugh:

Doesn't he need a fag in his hand as well, though?

(I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't Hannibal King the first sympathetic/whining professional victim vampire character in print fiction? I know his first appearance in TOD was before Anne Rice started publishing)

The actual JC figure doesn't have a cig either though.

What about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Count Saint-Germain character? I'm not sure how early those novels were, but I seem to remember her series pre-dated Anne Rice also.

That is the best possible one cor, look at he detail !.

, What are his weaknesses?. "Is compelled to describe his opponents' faults in detail, minus one to initiative" :P

don't you hate it when you see something cool like this and think "i'm gonna get that." and it's a custom. customizers are really starting to break my heart!

tumblr_mlz1gqxn191qkj6buo1_500.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hahahaha all the time, slinks.

Someone did a custom Mike Tyson's Punchout set that looked very professional. So bummed I don;t actually have tose figures.

Is that the spider eye robot thing from the original Johnny Quest cartoon?

I loved the old Johnny Quest cartoon! One of my favourites, right up there with Scooby Doo.

close. it's the one from the Venture Bros which is by its existence a relative parody of Johnny Quest. An adult Johnny Quest is a character on the show even, and is referred to as "Action Johnny." Christian, I'm a little amazed that you of all people don't watch that show. It has so many sci-fi, comic and pop culture refs and parodied plot points to make your head keep spinning long after it has ended. So many, you often have to watch an episode twice to get them all. If I could give you one piece of free advice--make 2014 your Year of Discovery for the Venture Bros. If you live in the U.S., you can watch every episode from the first 2 seasons for free on the adultswim website:

http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/

do it, bro. there is unequivocal happiness in doing so...

• Upvote 1

I guess I'll have to check it out.

I don't really watch TV or movies....or listen to new music....or play video games anymore....Most of my life is spent happily looking back upon the past.

I figure everyone only has so many hours in the day, and besides loving my cat, I always find so many books or comics I have to read, that I spend all my time reading.

What about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Count Saint-Germain character? I'm not sure how early those novels were, but I seem to remember her series pre-dated Anne Rice also.

On another retro note, I missed this one, Christian.

:wink:

I think Hotel Transylvania was published in the same year as Interview With The Vampire (1976), so Wolfman and Colan have the jump on both. There's supposedly a Jane Gaskell book from the '60s about a mod vampire, but I have no idea how sympathetic as a character he is.

I guess I'll have to check it out.

I don't really watch TV or movies....or listen to new music....or play video games anymore....Most of my life is spent happily looking back upon the past.

I figure everyone only has so many hours in the day, and besides loving my cat, I always find so many books or comics I have to read, that I spend all my time reading.

I can dig that, and I was a hard sell on Venture Bros at first. It took a few badgerings by a friend before I relented. In fact, he ambushed me and made me watch an episode, the Tag Sale one (which is the one I recommend for new viewers to watch first because honestly, the pilot is unimpressive and in Tag Sale, you don't have to know the characters to get the jokes.) but i was hooked once i saw it. season 2 is when it hits its stride and never lets up really.

And they have Venture Brothers figures now, to put this back on topic. They have the old school Mego sized figs.

venture-bros-final-figures-2.png

and the more standard sized 3 3/4 sized figs.

0732-4-dr-mrs-the-monarch3.jpg

On another retro note, I missed this one, Christian.

:wink:

I think Hotel Transylvania was published in the same year as Interview With The Vampire (1976), so Wolfman and Colan have the jump on both. There's supposedly a Jane Gaskell book from the '60s about a mod vampire, but I have no idea how sympathetic as a character he is.

Wikipedia quotes Brian Stableford as saying it was "one of the first revisionist vampire novels", so yeah, it predates all of the above. But, it also says "one of the first", so there may be a few other examples out there. I can't think of any others.

Bringing up the name of Jane Gaskell begs the question I've always wondered though....which is if Jane is a descendant of Elizabeth Gaskell?

It's my new Square Enix Play Arts Kai Joker fro Arkham City!

P2070027small.jpg

There is a major defect with the head missing the piece so I am pretty upset as this was not cheap. Hopefully I can appeal to the manufacturer and they can get me the right head.

So you're optimistic they'll give you some head, Lou? :wink:

• Upvote 1

I thought it was Joker after being exposed to the ooze to become Super Joker.

Here's the Mephisto heroclix I bought. I really like it.

215187.jpg