JohnMcMahon

The Toy Thread

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

We have three good comic/toy shops here locally, but they tend to price on the high side for toys. Still, one of them, Zeus, has most of their older figures (everything from Spawn, McGee's Alice, to some DC Direct, Star Trek, Gundam, Transformers) for $5 each. I'm kicking myself for being so broke! They have ATOC Star Wars figures for $1 each.

My son is into Gundam now, so I did pick him up 2 of them at Zeus, then 3 more at our most recent comic con. The 3 were opened, so I got them with all their extra pieces for $5 for the lot.

My son and I tend to open our toys, anyway. He made out like a bandit at the comic con: he also got 6 Transformers for $5 because he kept answering this guy's Transformers questions correctly. They were all open, but they came more or less complete. 2 of them had been customized very coolly with battle damage. My son was thrilled!

I found some open SW figures that I had missed on their first go 'round: the Death Star Droid (with the mouse droid) and the "Snaggletooth" remake (the little pig fella at the cantina in Episode IV: A New Hope). Got them both for $8 total.

I had that Li II piece in my hands but couldn't afford the $25 right now.

sethos    5

Conan series 2

goddamn, these are a lot better than the first series. I love King Conan on his throne...

conan2_conan4_photo_04_dp.jpg

EDIT: ok, ok, so really, the creatures suck... but I love the two Conan figures and I kinda like the slave girl as well. though I'm not sure where they found silicone breasts in Hyperboria :tongue:

Rogan    176

King Conan's face looks like the human version of Shrek from Shrek 2... :D

Lou K    1,054

I'm diggin' this Conan 2 series. Did you pick up any of Conan 1 Sean?

I'll be getting Conan on his throne, Conan attack and Xaltotun

sethos    5
I'm diggin' this Conan 2 series. Did you pick up any of Conan 1 Sean?

I'll be getting Conan on his throne, Conan attack and Xaltotun

in the end, I just didn't like any of them enough. was planning on buying the dragon, but then saw the pics of the Dragons line from McFarlane and decided to concentrate on that instead (plus, I bought the Giger thing, which was also quite expensive).

the thing I'm really curious about is the giant Balrog figure that Neca will be bringing out next year...

Rogan    176

I prefer those Marv statues done from the comics... this movie one seems a bit meh.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

I thought I would hate them because I'm tired of Hasbro constantly doing resculpts and re-releases of the same characters (and obviously, this Vintage OT line epitomizes that strategy), but after having picked up the new Boba Fett and the new Stormtrooper, I am simply amazed by the detail and the articulation of these figures. Each joint not only bends, but swivels making shoulders, elbows knees and ankles realistically posable. I can't decide which figure I love more. I was out on this line initially, but now I'll be picking the whole collection.

Lou K    1,054

OK.

While DC Direct's Hush: Batman is a great looking figure I am quite displeased with it. There is little to no articulation and what little there of it exists is of no use (save the neck). I mean, you get a kick ass batman figure like that and all he can do is stand there with his hands at his sides all pissed off. Lotsa $$$ for a well sculpted 'action' figure with an average paint job and no accesories...no wonder I leave them in the box, right?

So expert Japanese toymakers Takara have saved the day. Takara is the company who has been bringing us Micronauts since 1974. They are miles ahead of everyone in terms of articulated action figures. You can get these things into any position you want to. Takara, along with DC Direct, have now released a series of Microman style Batman figures along with a Batman/Batgirl 2 Pak and a cool Catwoman figure.

The figures themselves are only 4". The paint jobs and sculpts are really basic but the articulation, gear and interchangable hands make these some of the most dynamic figures ever made. Totally puts the 'action' back in action figures. I bought the Batman. He is awesome he comes with Batarang, BatGrapplingHook, BatGasMask, and BatCuffs. he also has five pairs of interchangeable hands for fists, karate chops, open palms, gripping palms and others. These figure are so much fun to play with and move around, check it out!

Doit.jpg

Mark    332

There are few words which can adequately describe how much I want one of these. Where do you get them from?

Lou K    1,054

I got it from the local comic shop but you could also try www.bigbadtoystore.com or www.smalljoes.com. Click Takara or Microman. Thinking about picking up the Batman/Batgirl 2 Pack so I can have the black Batman.

Also want the Devilman set

I been lookin' for these 'Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman' style tonight but can't find 'em.

Also heard they're making Alien and Predator figures.

sethos    5

I want this only slightly less than I want a MODOK action figure. which is to say i want it badly.

bd_s_galactus.jpg

Josh    6

Here's a good article about the life and times of GI Joe, possibly the first action figure, from his debut in 1964 (which I remember) to now. The article sketches the politics of the times during which GI Joe was produced, the changes he went through and the different ways he was presented to keep him politically palatable as times changed:

http://www.antiwar.com/engelhardt/?articleid=4188

Lou K    1,054

Hahahaha!!! Carl Spackler!

That darrick Robertson is one seriously talented mofo.