Sign in to follow this  
St. Finn Parish

What do you people want?

A faithful retelling of comics' modern mythology, according to the original visions of those who created the comic property up for filming. I NEVER want to see some "visionary" director's 'take' or interpretation of something I hold dear to my heart--which is why Francis Lawrence must be hanged, to re-establish balance in the universe. What he did to HELLBLAZER renders null and void any future cinematic versions of John COnstantine. This carries with it a melancholy that can only be felt in the bones, not conveyed on a message board.

But, in the case of Hellblazer, a faithful retelling wouldn't work. There's too much to pick from.

Good adaptations of comic books, by and large, take the title character and put them in a plot that works in the chosen medium.

As I said at the time, the best way to approach John Constantine on film is bung him in any old occult/horror plot and let him do his thing.

The shit would practically write itself.

I respectfully disagree.

Oh, and I expect a decent job of casting the lead roles (another failure of Constantinian, though Rachel Weisz can butter my biscuits any time at all).

But, in the case of Hellblazer, a faithful retelling wouldn't work. There's too much to pick from.

Good adaptations of comic books, by and large, take the title character and put them in a plot that works in the chosen medium.

As I said at the time, the best way to approach John Constantine on film is bung him in any old occult/horror plot and let him do his thing.

The shit would practically write itself.

Piffle. There's a good dozen of the comics stories that would make fine films.

What I've seen (and I might be wrong, but look at the forum title) is when a talented director approaches certain topics independently the movie turns out quite well. But when the same topics are addapted from a graphic novel it mostly doesn't turn out so well. They fail not only as an adaptation, but lack something fundamental that would make consider it a good movie by itself. That is if one forget that there was source material amd so and so film was a comic book adaptation the first place.

The notable exception being the Dark Knight. WHatever flaws it may have. I don't give a damn about it's length. IN tis case I barely realized it. Chris Nolan could've made the film on it's own without notable comic characters and it still would have been an interesting movie in it's own right. Albeit nowhere near as popular. If I'm not making sesne please say so.

On the other hand Iron Man is an out and out comic book adapation film that has the kind of charm I would expect from a summer blockbuster.

On the other hand Iron Man is an out and out comic book adapation film that has the kind of charm I would expect from a summer blockbuster.

Yeah, this is something I thought of bringing up earlier but forgot about: Even if a comic book film is not faithful or visionary, I'd count it a success if it succeeds at being entertaining--well-acted, well-paced, etc. Iron Man did this really well, I thought. My problem with Watchmen was bad acting, bad pacing, and an irritating musical score, primarily. If those elements had worked, it would probably have been a pretty fun, entertaining movie, and I figure that's enough.

Man, you all bashing Constantine need to remember one good thing that came out of the film being made: me reading the book and becoming a beloved member of the STH forum. Right?.... right, guys? Anyone? :blink:

Some very interesting responses and I can understand where you're coming from Mark for the most part even though sometimes I don't totally agree with it.

Hey, I don't always agree with what I said myself. I wasn't actually laying out a hard-and-fast set of rules, just trying to articulate a general feeling which, despite trying several times, I've never quite been able to pin down into words. There are certainly enough good, even great, films which hew very closely to their respective sources that I'd be uncomfortable generalising too broadly. As a vague and non-binding summation of my general attitude, though, I stand more-or-less by the way I phrased things in my previous post - it's not that absolute fidelity to the letter of the source is something to actively avoid, just that it's not inherently a good thing either, and it certainly shouldn't be the primary, above-all-else goal of the adaptor.

So, mainly what Tom said. "Thou Shalt Not Suck" shall be the whole of the law.

The Ending for the book made more sense. Because the world knew that Doc Manhattan was a representative of the US who was helping them fight the war.So this whole thing could easily be connected to the states and the war starts up again.

With the Giant Squid it's more of the fact that it's a unknown threat and most people would think an invasion was going to happen. So they would all join forces.

That's why the movie sucked ass.

Well, I think the movie was going for a protector-savior-abandoner-pariah transformation for the character, which also aligned with the whole humans vs superhumans sub-theme.

But you're right, the Space Squid kicked ass.

Hey, I don't always agree with what I said myself.

Isn't that a symptom of schizophrenia?

A faithful retelling of comics' modern mythology, according to the original visions of those who created the comic property up for filming. I NEVER want to see some "visionary" director's 'take' or interpretation of something I hold dear to my heart--which is why Francis Lawrence must be hanged, to re-establish balance in the universe.

I'll drink to that! While we're at it, we can through Akiva Goldsman in as a bonus.

:hattip:

Fine, fine. I don't wan't the moon. How about Dr. BlackJack.

I think there are several Blackjack anime flicks. some done by Tezuka himself, but I don't think any of them are legally available with english subtitles.

Yeah, I think Angel Heart is pretty much a near perfect Hellblazer movie. And the horrible thing is, you could do a Hellblazer flick for a very low budget (especially by Hollywood standards). I cannot understand why they had to make Constantine (a what, 100 million dollar movie?). It looked pretty enough, but every minute was spent being more and more annoyed. Something I didn't have with Watchmen, by the way, even though I still didn't like it too much.

But anyway, yeah, Tom's statement makes sense. except of course, with things like Watchmen and other graphic novels, where the story is the main draw, not the character. But there are plenty of GN adaptations which really work too: Ghostworld, Persepolis, and quite a few others.