Sign in to follow this  
sethos

Quitely + Morrison = Batman & Robin?

This was in the back of this weeks Batman comics.

Ace Quitely art notwithstanding I don't really think I want more Morrison on Batman thankyou very much.

If he's had a nice break fair enough, but All Star Superman was the cracking title it was because it took four years or something silly.

The pressure of a shipping monthly is only going to exasperate this.

Ofcourse I'll be picking it up.

Hmm I may just have to check this out. Yeah, Morrisons Batman was nuttier than the tunnel in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, but he made it work.

Ace Quitely art notwithstanding I don't really think I want more Morrison on Batman thankyou very much.

This, really. With the added grumble that, while I'm not going to jump to any conclusions based on two pieces of preview art, I'm not that taken with the art here either.

The flying Batmobile is a nice design, and as always the storytelling on those interior pages is lovely, but even by Frank's elevated standards, that's a bizarrely-lumpy, misshapen head on Robin (who looks a lot like Damien, which is another strike in the "urrhh...no, thanks" column), and I don't like either of the new costume designs all that much. That cover image suggests that he's still using the direct-from-the-pencils digital inking style which worked so brilliantly for All-Star Superman, but I'm not sure it works as well with the heavier pencils, and extra shading, which he's using here. Still, it's only one image, and Quitely's covers are rarely as good as his interior art, to my mind.

I'll probably be buying it anyway, of course, because I've yet to read a Morrison/Quitely collaboration which was less than good, and even without Morrison, Quitely's one of the few currently-active artists whose work I'll check out on anything, regardless of who's writing (JH Williams is another, so that'll be me back to buying two Batbooks for the first time in ages - hope this go-round works out a bit better than the last time, when both Morrison's Batman and Dini's Detective tailed off into mediocrity after starting promisingly).

Also, while I'm used to ignoring at least 3/4s of what Morrison says in his promotional interviews, if I never hear another variation on "it's like [insert weird/dark pop culture icon here] crossed with the '60s Batman TV show" again, it'll be too soon. Let it go, Grant. For the love of God, let it go.

I like the idea of Damian as Robin, and (I assume) Nightwing as Batman (maybe Jason Todd?!).

Sounds like it could be a really funny pairing.

My hopes shall remain ridiculously high.

I don't object on principle, but Damien-as-Robin would have to be a vastly more interesting character than I thought Damien-as-Damien was to really hold my attention.

Actually, that's quite possible.

I really think there's potential here with Damian as Robin. No guarantee that it will be worth buying but I'm sold just because it's Morrison and Quitely.

Personally the idea of Bruce creating his own substitute "Bat family" was always one of the most endearing aspects of the title.

Robin as a substitute son/slightly narcisistic mirror (Hell they look the same, he chooses them like a serial killer) is a much stronger idea than son actual.

Damian was a better idea on...erm paper than in execution.

Personally the better metaphor would be that Bruce is at almost total odds with his family both alive and dead.

The Batman persona doesn't allow for a healthy family unit, except on his Batfamily terms.

Don't get me started on the undead Jason Todd.

His Superboy-Prime-punched-the-universe-in-the-kisser return almost shat the Batman mythos for me entirely.

Jesus I'd retcon that the first chance I got.

With the potent exception of Ra's Al Ghul, death should mean death in Batman, it's one of, if not the core component of the mythos.

With the June relaunch of the Batman franchise ...

Seen it before.

... comes a new Batman and a new Robin.

Seen it before.

With the June relaunch of the Batman franchise ...

Seen it before.

... comes a new Batman and a new Robin.

Seen it before.

Do you know why kids, love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

No, I'm not from the USA. And I'm not into things that entice children. So I googled it, and I have to assume you're saying Batman and Robin are "crazy squares".

No, I'm not from the USA. And I'm not into things that entice children. So I googled it, and I have to assume you're saying Batman and Robin are "crazy squares".

That will do for now.

My favorite creative team of all time.

:boogie:

I want them to have a run on every major title in the comics industry. Imagine the impact it would have. Everything they've done is superior to most other projects by mere mortal creators.

Alright, I am ready to begin my story of a multiversal dream pill! There is a clandestine group that use pills to allow them project their minds across multiple universes into other beings dreams for just a few hours at a time! But one character gets in too deep and hops from dreamer to dreamer in a parallel universe and has now become god-like with his control. The group fight him in the battlefields of the mind!

Ok, where's my check? :smile: