Sign in to follow this  
aardvark

What else to read from a Vertigo?

I'm afraid I don't really read any new comics, swedish independent stuff aside, on a regular basis except for Hellblazer, which seems unnecessary. So, I don't know, I thought I should probably pick up a few new subscriptions next time I'm picking up my Hellblazer at my local comic store. Since I mostly enjoyed Diggle's run on Hellblazer I think I'm going to check up on Thunderbolts.

Are there any other good Vertigo comics being published at the moment that you would recommend?

've read the first TPB of Scalped which was interesting enough, but probably something which reads better in trades. Is Madame Xanadu good? I thought it sounded like a nice read, but the preview that was published in Hellblazer #244 wasn't so impressive...

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hellblazer is the only Vertigo book I'm currently reading.

Might be some better Vertigo fare coming up, or maybe others are liking something.

I'd pass on Madame Xanadu though. I read the first couple of issues, and it's pretty pointless. I found it to be very self-important. Matt Wagner is a very good writer, but the book should've been a mini-series, and should've been published 15 years ago.

One issue, what was Madame Xanadu doing during the reign of Kublai Khan? Ah, that.

The next issue, what was Madame Xanadu doing during the French Revolution?

Then, what was Madame Xanadu doing during the Jack the Ripper killings?

Etc.

DMZ, Hellblazer, Fables, and with 100 Bullets wrapping up, you have like 12 trades worth of good stuff to catch up on.

I wouldn't bother with House of Mystery either. I've been more patient with most with it but I've read my last issue. A shame.

Am eagerly awaiting the upcoming The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (starts in May). Otherwise, I recommend reading 100 Bullets or Y the Last Man in collection form (but that wasn't what you were asking, was it!)

Vertigo's best days are behind them. I would check out 100 Bullets but it's about to wrap up. There are sveral trades however.

The Sandman

Swamp Thing

Lucifer

Fables

Y The Last man

He's asking for current titles, ones that he can read and be among the first to argue about, which rules out Y, Lucifer et all.

Otherwise, what they said.

He's asking for current titles, ones that he can read and be among the first to argue about, which rules out Y, Lucifer et all.

Otherwise, what they said.

OK, thanks for all the tips. Like Husamuddin said I'm mostly interested in tips on new, ongoing comics; I've read most of the classic and most well known Vertigo titles, like Swamp Thing, Sandman, Y: The Last Man. Is it considered heretical to say that I haven't really enjoyed the 3 first trades of 100 Bullets that much? I might give it a second chance, though... but I don't know, Azzarello doesn't seem to be the writer for me. I never really dislike his work, I just never really like it either.

Well, after looking up the titles a bit I just think I might check out Young Liars and make sure I'm there for the first issue of The Unwritten - especially exciting since Carey's run on Hellblazer was so entertaining!

Thanks!

I assume, AA, that you've also read Carey's Crossing Midnight?

If not, definitely check it out.

I assume, AA, that you've also read Carey's Crossing Midnight?

If not, definitely check it out.

I hadn't even heard the name, but after googling it I definitely want to read it! Thanks a bundle.