A. Heathen

BISLEY !

HLB-Cv256.jpg

HELLBLAZER #256

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli & Stefano Landini

Cover by Simon Bisley

Featuring the debut of new HELLBLAZER cover artist Simon Bisley! “Biz” joins the crew, bringing his fan-favorite and dynamic painting style to Vertigo’s longest-running title. John Constantine never knew what he had until it was taken away from him, and maybe he still doesn’t know. But that won’t stop him from selling his soul to get it back. Part 1 of “Resurrection” begins here.

On sale June 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

HLB-Cv256.jpg

HELLBLAZER #256

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli & Stefano Landini

Cover by Simon Bisley

Featuring the debut of new HELLBLAZER cover artist Simon Bisley! “Biz” joins the crew, bringing his fan-favorite and dynamic painting style to Vertigo’s longest-running title. John Constantine never knew what he had until it was taken away from him, and maybe he still doesn’t know. But that won’t stop him from selling his soul to get it back. Part 1 of “Resurrection” begins here.

On sale June 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

*300 mode* IT... IS... AWESOME!!!

You know how everyone except me seems to think Giuseppe Camuncoli's style is a very poor fit for Hellblazer? And how Tom made a sarcastic comment just a few short hours ago about how it was time to "bring back the brown, over-rendered pish"?

Yeah.

Still, at least it's better than Fabry.

You know how everyone except me seems to think Giuseppe Camuncoli's style is a very poor fit for Hellblazer? And how Tom made a sarcastic comment just a few short hours ago about how it was time to "bring back the brown, over-rendered pish"?

Yeah.

Still, at least it's better than Fabry.

I'm in your camp, dude. Camuncoli's stuff on Hellblazer has been great.

Wow thats not what I expected from Bisley at all, I'm quite impressed.

I just kept thinking Lobo and Doom Patrol covers.

In keeping with my Giuseppe Camuncoli on Hellblazer stance (No problem with him normally), I do quite like this.

Over-rendered is okay on covers.

Not bad but it's still not Bradstreet.

Wow, Bisley is back to comics and he is doing Hellblazer covers? Awesome! That's initial thought. The cover looks like good old Bisley from when he was doing Judgment on Gotham and Lobo, but has this sci-fi flavor of Bisley's drawings. I'm not sure that fits Hellblazer. Still, welcome back Biz.

Everyone's so caught up in the Bisley art, that they fail to mention that the text reads that "John sells his soul again".

Hopefully, they mean metaphorically rather than literally this time.

Otherwise, I hope John's soul has been using a condom since it gets around so much.

You know how everyone except me seems to think Giuseppe Camuncoli's style is a very poor fit for Hellblazer?

You don't want to be playing the isolated maverick in the face of the evidence.

Especially this evidence:

And how Tom made a sarcastic comment just a few short hours ago about how it was time to "bring back the brown, over-rendered pish"?

But there you go.

I'd rather Bermejo was staying, but time for change seems to be the thing. Bisley on interiors would make me happy but that's a nice start.

While Camuncoli's artwork has been patchy in the past, this is increasingly not the case.

Lucky for him that he's got a good inker and is benefiting from the improved colouring in.

And for the record, as I think I have said previously, I have no problem with the move towards a more cartoony styles in theory, it's just that in practice so far they have a tendency to undermine any horror (Sean Murphy's too based on the Nu-Castle story, although the new stuff does not have enough context yet). There are plenty of "non-realist" artists who don't do that, Charles Burns, Ben Templesmith, some of the people working for Avatar. And even some of the maligned Manga horror artists.

You don't want to be playing the isolated maverick in the face of the evidence

A fair point, and that line was meant to sound more facetious than it apparently did. "Isolated maverick" is certainly a role I enjoy playing occasionally (sad, but undeniably true), but it's clearly not the case here. In this case, I was just amused because I assume that a lot of people are going to be a lot more excited at the prospect of Bisley on Hellblazer than I am, so there's some nice symmetry at work, if nothing else.

I've just never really cared for Bisley's work, and while I wouldn't say it's unsuited to Hellblazer, I don't think it's a very good match, and that first cover doesn't really sway my opinion. He's clearly very good at what he does, and he appeals to enough people that I think getting him on covers is probably a good thing overall, but what he does really doesn't appeal to me on any level.

I will say, though, that I'm very much OK with that "time for change" thing you mention, and that my real nitpick about getting in a new cover artist is just that I think it should probably have happened when Milligan took over the book three months ago. Not that I'm complaining about the splendid Bermejo covers we've been getting (the last three aren't among my favourites, but he's still been putting in consistently-excellent work for most of his run), but I think the neatness of a complete swap of creative teams would have been an effective signal that the times are indeed a-changin'. Still, from a marketing perspective I can see why they may have wanted a smoother shift between Diggle and Milligan, letting the new direction of the stories establish itself before marking the change externally.

The above paragraph may not make a great deal of sense, but I'm sleep-deprived. Excuse the waffling.

I think I agree with every other point you mention.

I loved Bisley on Doom Patrol but have loved little else by him. I think that cover's ok but I don't think his rather muscular style is a great fit for Hellblazer.

I'm willing to be surprised though.

It's weird. With Milligan and Biz on the book it's should have a really "old school" proto-Vertigo flavour but I think it's the freshest the book's been since Hard Time.

Not bad but it's still not Bradstreet.

I agree. I like the volume Bisley gives using just colour, I still remember Slaine. I should learn how does he do it. But yes, there are not two Tims.

I actually don't think his style is a great fit for Hellblazer either but I just love his work so much I can't not look forward to his covers. I know it makes little sense.

Mark, what is it about Bisley's work that you don't like? I look at his Doom Patrol covers and his work in titles like Slaine: The Horned God and I marvel at it. Am curious about what it is about his stuff that puts you off.

Not a bad cover. But I do feel as if I passed through a time warp in the 1990's.

I've just never really cared for Bisley's work.

...my real nitpick about getting in a new cover artist is just that I think it should probably have happened when Milligan took over the book three months ago. Not that I'm complaining about the splendid Bermejo covers we've been getting (the last three aren't among my favourites, but he's still been putting in consistently-excellent work for most of his run), but I think the neatness of a complete swap of creative teams would have been an effective signal that the times are indeed a-changin'.

Agreed.

I like it! I'd rather keep Bermejo but this'll do.

And for the record I have no problem whatsoever with Giuseppe Camuncoli's stuff on the title.

Not overly keen on this news*. All I know of Bisley's work is his ABC Warriors & Slaine stuff, Lobo, and Batman / Dredd. All of which is good, mind, but none of which says "I'm good at drawing a normal bloke in normal everyday situations, me".

But still, I hope he'll surprise me. Although the first cover there doesn't look too great.

*but then I didn't like Manco's stuff until he changed his style, and then everyone else hated it. So what the fuck do I know?

Hmmm... I wish it wasn't so well executed in a way, I know it is technically a good piece of work, but it leaves me cold in terms of being a Hellblazer cover, so I sort of would like to be able to say it is shit. I'm quite willing to believe that future cover by Bisley will be more to my liking, even that this will grow on me, but at present it makes me sigh.

So, for that matter does the solicit. John sells his soul again? Again? And presumably for Phoebe? Doesn't that suggest an appearance from FOTF? I hope not for Mark's sake and wouldn't be too keen myself. Oh well, maybe it is all misleading and I do hope so.

Both cover and solicit seem rather unimaginative to me.

Wow. Bisley comes with some baggage.

Apart from John's massive shoulders, I really like the design of the cover and especially the colours. It does remind me of the covers back in the Delano days.

More specifically, do the comic buying public at large like Bisley? Will there be a few more readers 'cos of him? While I would obviously be a bit miffed if Geoff Johns or someone came across to write Hellblazer just to pump numbers up but I don't mind the cover being something of a selling document to get people to pick it up off the shelf.

Very big shoulders though.

I think Geoff Johns would probably write a fairly good HB.

I'd also, perversely, like to see Milligan's take on FOTF. If anyone can make that turkey interesting it's him.

Yeah, that was a bit mean at Geoff Johns who I like very much - hope you knew what I was struggling to say though! Perhaps I should have used Mark Millar?

I'm going to be the one who says 'I think we're all reacting unnecessarily to a ref in a solicitation'... but then yeah, I bet the first of the fallen turns up too! I'd love a new devil spin though so agree with Tom that Milligan could do something fancy with the soul-selling.

Still v up on this run (haven't got my hands on #253 yet though. Gah!!)