Balthazar

Holy Rocking Abs of Steel, Batman!

Jason: surely you aren't comparing this shite with Picasso? Picasso had a *point* to what he was doing , after all. I fail to see what the point of this is, other than "bad art can sell too", or "Vertigo is intentionally trying to drive sales into the earth".

Let's recap:

Proportions: wrong like a 13 year old with no art training

Perspective: horribly wrong

Composition: wrong. wrong. wrong.

Textures: nice

So he should go back to designing fills for PhotoShop. Its what he's best at.

I didn't like the textures...

I don't mind perspective being "wrong" if it is the right sort of wrong, I mean expressive of something, and I don't even mind it being a bit wonky, but I don't like this much at all.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing some 50's pulp-style covers, but for me this wasn't it.

Uh...wow, that's....really,really, really not a good cover.

You do wonder why he's wearing his coat in the flat, but no shirt, don't you?

I am happy, now I know how would Slaine look like if he had a replicant make up, short hair and a coat.

It is not that I don't like it, but it is not my favourite style for Hellblazer.

I am happy, now I know how would Slaine look like if he had a replicant make up, short hair and a coat.

It is not that I don't like it, but it is not my favourite style for Hellblazer.

It´s strange, specially or that cover. I miss Bermejo and Bradstreet covers, I like Bisley but it´s not good.

John is really working out. :icon_rolleyes::tongue:

Well it certainly isn't working out for me. HAHAHAHAHA

Will John be modeling for Ambercrombie & Finch next?

Horrible cover.

meanwhile, I do like Bisley's style for some reason, !!

For some reason?!?! It's cos he's ace! I really like Bisley's work. However, I'm not a big fan of this cover.

It's not even the first cover with Constantine topless under his trenchcoat in the last year !

We are in the territory of pulp noir pastiches and I think Bisley's first cover works as a stylistic choice, but (as Mark observed) this one is either too subdued or not realistic enough - the torso, the shoulders, the mutated woman. Given the solicitation, a good parody of a romance comic cover could have been ace.

Sadly, this fails to deliver that and the usual excellent Bisley grotesquery.

I also cast my mind back to Greg Lauren, but the issue then was poor content choice - poorly executed and pointless rip-offs of classical art.

OK, everyone's already said everything's that's needed to be said. This just looks stupid.

A "romantic quadrangle" sounds interesting enough though...

pastiche

It took way way too long for that word to appear, it looked like everyone in this thread was a member of the face value club.

It's an interesting cover, I like it and it may very well be making a direct reference to something in the story, of which of course at this point we are unaware of beyond the one sentence solicitation, the only mistake in it seems to be the mirror being the wrong way round, but even at this point how can we know that's not intentional.

OK, everyone's already said everything's that's needed to be said. This just looks stupid.

A "romantic quadrangle" sounds interesting enough though...

I think it's one of the early Hammer films, a black and white SF that (I'm told: I've not seen it and it's possible no bastard has seen it since the early '50s. Maybe even Kim Newman hasn't seen it, though that's a frightening thought) is pretty crap. A Four Sided Triangle.

Ade, you're right it isn't, but at least he wasn't wearing his trenchcoat indoors for the "scab" one.

Based on what I just saw.....I kinda want Greg Lauren back or Sean Phillips, even.

What's wrong with Sean Phillips?

He's one of the best artists this book ever had!

pastiche

It took way way too long for that word to appear

You mean apart from when I used it on the first page of the thread, obviously.