Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Greek Street

Hmm. I've been reading some fan reviews saying they were confused and it was pretty hard for them to figure out what was going on. I didn't seem to get that problem. I felt it was solidly written and felt up-to-date with all the characters we were introduced to, now it's just seeing how they all will connect. I was really impressed in seeing the modern take of these characters and I feel maybe I didn't get too lost because I knew pretty much all the characters and who they were suppose to be based on before hand.

Yeah, I did wonder if the reader had to be familiar with the myths to get 100% out of the comic.

I think to some extent that probably is true, but then again, if you are familiar with the myths, the book could be groan inducing at times.

What it reminded me of was Douglas Rushkoff's Testament comic. It had a high concept which was quite an interesting concept, until you saw it on the page and found out how hard Rushkoff was attempting to force it all.

Now, granted, Milligan's "modern Greek myths" has more to do with the concept than Rushkoff's "modern Christian Bible stories", which 9 times out of 10 the modern story had little to nothing to do with the Biblical story he was attempting to play off of, but maybe Rushkoff at least realized how cheesy it would be to attempt to force some sort of modern-day archetypes into his plot to play off the Biblical stories (or maybe not).

I think it's Milligan playing far too obviously with the Greek myths that caused the problems in the book (or at least as far as how I see the problem). A little bit more subtlety and a little less red-flagging for readers who might not be as familiar with the original stories might have helped the plot.

Was Eddie's last name ever revealed? Is it going to be Puss?

Was Eddie's last name ever revealed? Is it going to be Puss?

:hattip: to the power of :laugh:

I am with the majority here.

Started promisingly and descended into the land of the Jumblies.

I'll be giving it longer to tell a story.

grst_cv4.jpg

GREEK STREET #4

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Davide Gianfelice

Cover by Jock

As Lady Esther slums it among the villains and tarts of Soho looking for proof of her husband’s (the “noble” Lord Menon) infidelity, Detective Dedalus finally gets to question the three “mad women.” But the answers he gets put him on a collision course with one of the scarier monsters of Greek Street. Meanwhile, young Eddie may not live to see another day...

On sale October 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

Yeah, I did wonder if the reader had to be familiar with the myths to get 100% out of the comic.

Not really. As I recall, Oedipus married his mum after shagging her, rather than killing her and we haven't seen any sign of his father yet (unless, of course it's the lad who runs the posse he's got into trouble with: that could be building to a straight lift). On the other hand, you possibly wouldn't even register that if you haven't read Oedipus Tyrannos or at least one of the big anthologies of classical myths.

That said, I'm dreading Milligan making some bullshit connection between dyslexia now and being crippled in the Hellenic era...

First half of an interview with Milligan, concentrating on 'Greek Street' -

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23830

Second part, to come, looks at Shade and, yes, the Hellblazer crossover.

I'm still getting 'Greek Street', anyway. It's shaping up quite nicely, if slowly. It'll probably read better in trades.

Crap, but hardly unpredictable, news -

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/12/and-now-vertigo-cancel-greek-street/

And another one gone. Greek Street by Peter Milligan and Davide Gianfelice from Vertigo has been cancelled. Issue 16 will be it

I'm particularly pissed off because I spent a chunk of yesterday rereading the first 11 issues (the 'Eddie' story). It wasn't very satisfactory read in monthly issues, because it was a fairly complex, slow-burning narrative with a lot of characters, and no immediately graspable story or theme to each single issue, but it did read very well in longer form.

The same applies to some other Vertigo series ('Northlanders', say) which do seem to be doing well. Maybe 'Greek Street' just never found its audience - the basic concept did seem rather overly familiar, so I can see why it was passed over, but the execution really was rather good.

A shame, but not exactly a surprise. Vertigo have made even less attempt to plug this one than is their usual wont. (Which is no mean feat.)