Sign in to follow this  
Kejoxen

Matt Wagner's Grendel

I was thinking about reading this, where is a good place to start? bear in mind I usually like to start at the beginning.

I started later in the day (around War Child - which begins the story of Grendel Prime) and then went back to read the earlier stories with no problem except a sense that the artwork matures (and then goes over to some great artists).

I quite like the original stories though.

I'd advise just sticking to the Hunter Rose stories. I found they suffer from the law of diminishing returns as it goes from Christine Spar era Devil's Legacy (OK) through to Devil's Reign (tedious), and ultimately becomes a bit self absorbed. Never actually bothered with the War Child / Grendel Prime stories. The Hunter Rose-era Grendel is by far the most entertaining IMHO.

To be honest though, I'm unsure what stories constitute "the beginning" - Grendel Black White & Red is a series of short stories that cover all periods from his assuming the identity of Grendel to his reign as crime lord, and is a great place to start.

Follow that up with Red White and Black, or -if you can find it - Devil Tales.

The first Batman / Grendel crossover Devil's Riddle & Devil's Masque is also excellent.

I'd have to agree with Atticus about the Hunter Rose stories.

The original Grendel story (Devil by the Deed) is illustrated prose fiction and is quite good, but all of the Hunter Rose stories by Wagner are good.

I've never read any of the non-Wagner Grendel though.

I'd have to agree with Atticus about the Hunter Rose stories.

The original Grendel story (Devil by the Deed) is illustrated prose fiction and is quite good

Aye, but Devil By The Deed unforunately gives you the whole saga from start to finish in a ridiculously few number of pages. It's good to read after you're familiar with Hunter Rose, but if it's your first sampling of Grendel you might be of the opinion "well, that's it, I know what happens in the end"

Okay, I'm going to go out Friday and I'm going to buy a Grendel book. A cursory glance at what's available gave me an impression that some of it's out of print, and from what you guys have said some of it's tedious (I'm all for tedious, I've read almost all of Cerebus bar the last two books, which are so tedious as to be almost impossible to buy) so what should I get? I am willing to spend £13.

I'd still say go for Black White & Red. Range of Matt Wagner stories from different artists, starting with a cracker from Tim Sale.

I don't know if the other's I didn't recommend (Devil's Legacy, The Devil Inside, God & The Devil and Devil's Reign) have been traded anyway.

EDIT: most of that first story, Devil's Advocate, can be seen on that link I posted to Amazon on their "look inside" feature. Read that first, then you can decide if stories of that ilk are for you.