Maritimus

Peter Milligan - phat or crap?

I noticed an increasing interest in Milligan's work since his return to Vertigo. I was familiar with the name but couldn't name any titles ("he is the one who wrote Dark Knight, Dark City? that's why i remember the name" was my reaction). For people catching up, let's look through some other works.

I am currently reading his X-Force/X-Statix run. X-Force 116-129 is as good as any superhero story i have ever read, and so much more. Colorful, troubled characters, issues like racism and sexual orientation are handled with a satirical edge i haven't seen in a comic book, or elsewhere. Scenes of action are beautifully rendered by Mike Allred and their outcome unpredictable to a boiling level (issue 116 - one of the best openers ever).

I'm also reading the first trade of Shade. The art is killing me a bit, or rather the colors. Some of the titles really deserve a fresh coat of paint, like Sandman recently. The story is interesting so far, the tone reminds me a bit of mentioned Sandman, feels like Vertigo writers had similar storytelling style. Again, it could be the art.

What are your favorite stories? Any stories not that great?

His Hellblazer is the first thing I'm reading of his. I've always wanted to read some of his work, mostly his Vertigo stuff, but have not been able to find them when I shop. Hopefully. Everything I've read of his Vertigo stuff sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'm looking forward to his Greek Street, though. Love reading different takes, adaptions, etc of Greek myths, so why the heck not?

I think Milligan is highly overrated myself. The Extremist is a fine comic book but a lot of his other stuff that I have read just doesn't do it for me.

I thought the 1st issue of his X Force stuff was great but the series never lived up to that first issue.

I was first aware of him with Rogan Josh and Hewligan's Haircut.

Shade was quite excellent at the time it began, went into miandering for a bit and then finished with some excellent stuff.

I love his Animal Man weirdness.

Skin is well worth a look.

Enigma, The Extremist, The Minx, are all good Vertigo.

I have only really read the X-Force / X-Statix early issues.

Face hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'm going to mention it.

Additionally there was the great Skreemer.

What little there is of Minx I really enjoyed and although it was his B Game the Human Target was splendid.

But sadly he can stink severly, I'm close to dropping him on Hellblazer.

So phat or crap?

Both.

I've read nearly all of his work. I enjoy a majority of it, myself. He has some bad work out there, but everyone does really.

A lot of his best work has already been mentioned.

One of the ones I like that hasn't is Skreemer.

(EDIT:Test beat me with his post!)

Miss:Elektra, Wolverine vs. Punisher, Venom vs. Carnage, The Programme, Infinity Inc., etc.

Really, Milligan's work on "mainstream work" (I wanted to say non-creative owned, but Shade, Human Target, and X-Statix aren't creative owned, even though he made Shade his own character as much as Gaiman did with Sandman, and he did create the X-Statix characters) tends to be the stuff that you should miss. There are exceptions of the rule, of course.

You can't go wrong with everything that's been mentioned in this thread and it should give you hours of pure comic pleasure.

I am currently reading his X-Force/X-Statix run. X-Force 116-129 is as good as any superhero story i have ever read, and so much more. Colorful, troubled characters, issues like racism and sexual orientation are handled with a satirical edge i haven't seen in a comic book, or elsewhere. Scenes of action are beautifully rendered by Mike Allred and their outcome unpredictable to a boiling level (issue 116 - one of the best openers ever).

Agreed; and well said!

I think Milligan is highly overrated myself. The Extremist is a fine comic book but a lot of his other stuff that I have read just doesn't do it for me.

I thought the 1st issue of his X Force stuff was great but the series never lived up to that first issue.

... Whereas I didn't care much for The Extremist, but worshipped X-Force / X-Statix.

I was first aware of him with Rogan Josh and Hewligan's Haircut.

I'd forgotten Rogan Josh. That, Skreemer, and "Dark Knight, Dark City" are gonna need a re-read. (For anyone who's wondering, "Dark Knight, Dark City" was the arc in Batman 452-454, with groovy Mike Mignola covers.)

Pete also wrote the well-regarded "Flowers For Rhino" in Spider-Man's Tangled Web 5 and 6.

Well I'm really enjoying his Hellblazer stint so far!

His X-Force/X-Statix run is excellent for the first couple of books, but it all kind of falls apart from the Princess Di arc that wasn't and limps to an end from there.

Shade, the first 50 issues or so, are damn fine - Vertigo recently solicited a second trade so I'm looking forward to replacing the single issue run I picked up en masse from Bristol (*sniffles* ah, memories) with something I can bung on the bookshelf.

I think Skreemer may have been the first thing of his that I read, quite enjoyed it. No time at all for The Extremist at all, just didn't push my button.

Skimming over other posts, I actually think Minx was the first comic of his that I picked up, mainly due to the Sean Phllips art.

"No time at all for The Extremist at all, just didn't push my button."

I've heard S&M is like that for some people.

Is it just me and Lou that has love for The Extemist then?

His X-Force/X-Statix run is excellent for the first couple of books, but it all kind of falls apart from the Princess Di arc that wasn't and limps to an end from there.

Fair dos, though — the Princess un-Di arc was lame because editorial emasculated it, and you can't really blame the boy if his heart wasn't in it afterwards. Before that, when he was in control of the writing, it was standout stuff.

"No time at all for The Extremist at all, just didn't push my button."

I've heard S&M is like that for some people.

Is it just me and Lou that has love for The Extemist then?

No, I was taken with that one myself.

(Now where did I put that riding crop?)

Martimus,Shade only gets better as the series progresses.The art and colouring grow by leaps and bounds during the next storyline,that first trade looks muddy as hell.Everything about the series gets better and better up until issue 50 like McMahon said.

I wish they traded Egypt,maybe I need to hunt down the rest of the story and give it another go.I'm gonna track down those Batman issues.

Also, lovely Mike Mignola covers.

That arc is one of the highlights of what's probably my all-time favourite era for the Bat-books, coming hot on the heels of Grant/Breyfogle's Batman run, and right before Milligan's own splendid (if unfortunately brief) run on Detective Comics. Legends Of The Dark Knight was starting at around the same time, I believe, back when it was consistently-excellent. It's a real shame that things went south fast so shortly afterwards, with the first rumblings of Knightfall.

Those late-'80s/early-'90s Batbooks are among the relatively-few complete runs I've ever really devoted serious time and effort to tracking down via back-issue bins. I've got almost everything now - there's just a pair of early Grant/Breyfogle 'Tec issues which continue to elude me, which I still can't quite bring myself to order from an online retailer (I'll probably cave eventually, but it feels sort of like cheating, after so many years of rummaging through piles of comics by hand), and about 4-5 other issues (including 'Dark Knight, Dark City', annoyingly) which I've only managed to find in reprint form, via a UK-only series which ran in the early-mid '90s, reprinting recent issues of the US Bat-titles (and which, frustratingly, are printed at a completely different size from the US originals). Those are OK for my longboxes, but since I'm planning to get the runs bound into a couple of nice hardbacks (since it looks like DC aren't going to get round to trading them any time soon), I'll need to track down the original issues.

All agreed... including the bit about online ordering feeling a bit like cheating. Ahem. :blush: What were the two issues you missed? The Ratcatcher story?

Did anyone read Bad Company "Goodbye Krool World" and is it worth buying? I'm eying a trade in my store, the price is decent, but i don't know if it's any good. Thanks

If it's the big collection of all the Bad Company stories, it'll be well worth a look. The only offputting factor is if you don't like the sort of SF war stories they used to have in 2000AD. If that isn't a problem it's great stuff.

It's 256 pages in black and white for 9 bucks or so. I read Alan Moore's Future Shocks first volume, it had quite a few SF war stories and I thought it was great. Thanks, i guess i will pick it up.

If you like Moore's short stories, you'll probably love it. That's the level a lot of the best 2000AD stuff works at.

I love the Alan Moore short sci-fi stories, but I was never much of a fan of Bad Oompany.

Although the series starts off pretty average, it does go in more unexpected directions as the series progresses. If it's cheap enough, I'd go for it. The majority of that period 2000 AD was all worth a read. I bought almost all of the Quality Comics books, which reprinted the different earlier 2000 AD series for American audiences.