Maritimus

Peter Milligan - phat or crap?

I got it and it's a sweet bunch of stories, i'm 40 pages in and already impressed with the storytelling and dark twisted themes. There is nothing more insane than war and Milligan handles it great, showing the cold merciless side of it and also asks questions "Why are we fighting? Why are we following this guy?". Panel work by Ewins and McCarthy is incredible, very creative and inventive. I love the fact that it is told in short stories, each one stands on its own, but there is continuity and consequences throughout. It was well worth buying, need to track down more 2000AD.

If you haven't read the stories yet, my favourite 2000 AD series were Slaine and Nemesis the Warlock, both from Pat Mills.

I also really enjoyed Strontium Dog by Alan Grant.

Those would be my immediate recommendations. Slaine and Warlock (in their prime) are both must reads.

I always had a soft spot for Rogue Trooper*. But yeah, Nemesis was brill, fairly subversive, for its day at least anyway, and Slaine was interesting, lovely artwork and fetish stuff.

The Strontium Dogs was cool too, though maybe part of that was us whistling past the graveyard, and a younger reader today who just knows Atomic Weapons as big bombs people "could never use you know, it would be insane" might not get the same feeling. All through my youth they continued testing in the pacific, the waters of which came within half a kilometer of my backyard. And, you know, they were TESTS, the fuckers didn't know what they were doing. Too dangerous to do at home, so they came and did them in other peoples homes.

"Atomic and nuclear tests can involve many hazards. A number of these were illustrated in the U.S. Castle Bravo test in 1954. The weapon design tested was a new form of hydrogen bomb, and the scientists underestimated how vigorously some of the weapon materials would react. As a result, the explosion – with a yield of 15 Mt – was over twice what was predicted. Aside from this problem, the weapon also generated a large amount of radioactive nuclear fallout, more than had been anticipated, and a change in the weather pattern caused the fallout to be spread in a direction which had not been cleared in advance. The fallout plume spread high levels of radiation for over a hundred miles, contaminating a number of populated islands in nearby atoll formations (though they were soon evacuated, many of the islands' inhabitants suffered from radiation burns and later from other effects such as increased cancer rate and birth defects), as well as a Japanese fishing boat".

*Once you get over the various 2000 ad-isms it abounded in. The naming trope thing for all his friends, very 2000 ad. " Well, shit guys, what a surprise, you nicknamed me Bagman and now I got killed and turned into a talking bag".

"Nords"

"The real villians are OUR OWN COMMANDERS ! ! ! ! "

lol.

... It was well worth buying, need to track down more 2000AD.

Duh. :)

If you haven't read the stories yet, my favourite 2000 AD series were Slaine and Nemesis the Warlock, both from Pat Mills.

Excellent recommendations. (With the proviso that the latest Slaines suffer from art that looks lovely but lacks storytelling chops.)

Maritimus, 2000AD has been around for decades and there's a buttload of great reading available in collected editions. A substantial amount of it makes mainstream US comics look bland and workmanlike. People will always recommend the usual suspects — Halo Jones, classic Judge Dredd, etc — but there's so much good stuff it beggars belief. Button Man, Greyshirt, Judge Anderson, Cradlegrave, Zombo, Monsters, Luke Kirby... the last four are essential reading for Hellblazer types.

Of your list I have read ONLY Judge Anderson.

Fuck I have heard of only her from the list even.

These were things from recent years then?.

Luke Kirby was the turn of the '90s. I don't think it's been collected, but it was sort of a more British Books Of Magic.

To Jason's list I'd add Savage (and why's there only the one collection of that?), Skizz (another Alan Moore series, sort of a nastier take on ET set in Birmingham during the early '80s), Shakara, and the collections of the stuff with Massimo Bellardinelli art Rebellion have finally got around to collecting: Ace Trucking Co in particular is a fine strip...

Thanks so much for all the recommendations, i can't wait to read more. I have been a huge Alan Grant fan since his Batman days, and i think it's pretty fucked up DC and Marvel won't hire him anymore. It seems like a good time to track down some Strontium Dog..

I do have Slaine The Horned God, and probably will look for more since you guys say it's good, what would you consider prime time for Slaine?

What i'm really curious about is Martial Law by Mills.. I will try to track down as much as i can, i'm only reading 3 or 4 mainstream books anyway, this stuff just feels like comics being comics.

It's actually Marshal Law, the name of the main character, playing on martial law.

That's not a 2000 AD series though. It was originally published by Epic Comics and then moved to Toxic, actually.

I'm sort of torn on the series...I've only read the stuff published by Epic. It might just be that I've seen the same sort of stories being done so much after the point where I got around to reading Marshal Law for the first time, and the series was just ahead of its time. There's a special called Marshal Law Takes Manhattan, which I really liked. There's a lot of political commentary on the Reagan years, which I always enjoy.

It's by Pat Mills, so it's worth reading, but I don't rank it as being on the same level as Slaine or Nemesis.

You can find the Epic issues pretty cheap, I'm sure, but I'm also positive there's plenty of collections of the series available.

Not a big fan of Marshal Law m'self, but it's available cheap on www.abebooks.com.

To Jason's list I'd add Savage (and why's there only the one collection of that?), Skizz (another Alan Moore series, sort of a nastier take on ET set in Birmingham during the early '80s), Shakara, and the collections of the stuff with Massimo Bellardinelli art Rebellion have finally got around to collecting: Ace Trucking Co in particular is a fine strip...

+1 on Savage — in fact that was the series I was thinking of when I typed "Greyshirt"... which in turn should have been Greysuit anyway. :blush: Not to say that Greysuit ain't worth reading.

I should also have listed Pat Mills' Defoe, which is intricate stuff, beautifully drawn.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations, i can't wait to read more. I have been a huge Alan Grant fan since his Batman days, and i think it's pretty fucked up DC and Marvel won't hire him anymore.

Pssst... DC Retroactive: Batman - The 90s :tongue:

I do have Slaine The Horned God, and probably will look for more since you guys say it's good, what would you consider prime time for Slaine?

I'd say start from the beginning. What do others think?

Christian, J M DeMatteis' Greenberg the Vampire is all over eBay... have you read it?

Yeah, I have. Greenberg is ok, but not DeMatteis' best work. There's some humour, with the Jewish Brooklyn guy becoming a vampire. It used to be hard to find. I had to look really hard to come across a copy when I was looking for it...must have been about ten years ago now.

The Dr. Strange:Shamballa comic by DeMatteis is much better, being the same type of format as Greenberg and coming out around the same time period. I'd recommend getting a copy of that if you come across one.

I agree with Jason on Slaine also. I'd start from the beginning.

"Greyshirt" is worth reading. That's the Alan Moore series from Tomorrow Stories.

Luke Kirby was the turn of the '90s. I don't think it's been collected, but it was sort of a more British Books Of Magic.

Loved Savage, that was earlier work, about the time I stopped buying each week maybe. Skizz was cool, but I was too young in the head to know that sometimes "referencing" someones elses work is perfectly O.K. that Moore was actually saying something with his "E.T. ripoff".

Ace Trucking compnay. I loved it, most especially the far-out artwork.

Gee, it is so hot here today!.

Thanks for the correction on Marshal Law :)

Thanks so much for all the recommendations, i can't wait to read more. I have been a huge Alan Grant fan since his Batman days, and i think it's pretty fucked up DC and Marvel won't hire him anymore.

Pssst... DC Retroactive: Batman - The 90s :tongue:

I actually really enjoyed this story, even though it was built on cliches and stereotypical situations from the classic run, but i think that was kind of the point.. It really took me back to when i had just bought my first Batman book - it was actually the one reprinted in the back of the issue, "Trash". There are graffitis on the walls "Street Demonz".. it's hard to explain, but i had a blast. Norm Breyfogle is an amazing storyteller, the action sequence where Batman takes down 4 criminals? As good as ever, maybe even better, the continuity of action between panels is fluid and very well choreographed. At least that's my take, i loved this issue :)