JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #256

22 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, for #256

Then again, maybe he has a very specific reason for wanting to masquerade as that schoolgirl, which we don't know about.

In fact, Julian has said as much. I will have to go back and reread Milligan's run to date, but I think we also know a bit more about his background than is being recalled in this thread (think he is a person, not a god IIRC).

I much prefer Julian as a character (and see him as a good device of Hellblazer) than the use of chatty warding demons, and I look forward to seeing where this part of the plot is heading.

I'm pretty sure I concluded that Julian was a Babylonian goddess based on something Milligan wrote, and didn't just make that up....

Anyway, it's very true that Milligan may be going somewhere with this, and it may end up being good or shite.

Right now, it comes across as some sort of comedy sub-plot from one of those '90s Goth comics to me though (not the old Vertigo attempting to appeal to a Goth crowd thing either).

I think why it annoyed me was the high school setting. High school students and Goth kids is what I found to be un-Hellblazerlike. But, the plot may very well move beyond that.

I'm pretty sure I concluded that Julian was a Babylonian goddess based on something Milligan wrote, and didn't just make that up....

Babylonian yes, goddess...I'm not sure.

Not a goddess. Just some spirit.

He/She's an Ekkimu.

A departed spirit from the streets of Babylon.

Basically nothing more than a troublesome agent of chaos. Like me.

That's about as descriptive as the word "man".

I think Julian is a character who's purpose is to add new characters to the Hellblazer world like Phoebe.

I think school is a perfect place for a demon to spread the disease, children are easily influenced. Their innocence must be a very tempting factor too, from demon's point of view. And if he gets caught - who's going to punish him - he's just a kid.

I think school is a perfect place for a demon to spread the disease, children are easily influenced. Their innocence must be a very tempting factor too, from demon's point of view. And if he gets caught - who's going to punish him - he's just a kid.

That was my excuse...

That was my excuse...

You're right, my bad i didn't read the posts all that carefully.

After two issues that felt somewhat lacklustre to me, both plot- and artwise, I'm really enthusiastic over Milligan's Hellblazer-run again. I was kind of dissapointed with the way "Scab" ended, but now it clearly reads like a first part of a larger story.

I enjoy Milligan's take on Constantine - he's definitive more of a bastard than Diggle or Carey have portraited him, but still kind of haunted and lonely. Glad to see the return of Camuncoli and Landini; I enjoy their more stylised take on Constantine.

And personally I think Julian is a great character.

Can't wait to pick up the next issue.

9/10.

Why are Babylonian entities inappropriate for Hellblazer? Where do you think Nergal's from?

Why are Babylonian entities inappropriate for Hellblazer? Where do you think Nergal's from?

Who made this claim? I must have missed it.

<!--quoteo(post=301111:date=Jul 24 2009, 01:38 PM:name=dogpoet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogpoet @ Jul 24 2009, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are Babylonian entities inappropriate for Hellblazer? Where do you think Nergal's from?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who made this claim? I must have missed it.

Christian did, here:

What is the deal with the little Goth Babylonian goddess girl anyway? For a one time appearance it was fine, but now she feels totally out of place for a book like Hellblazer. Beating up the school teacher and blackmailing John to stop the teacher from testifying against her? What? Why? It just doesn't belong in this book.

I suspected that, Adrian: I was just taking a cheap pop at him for stressing that Julian's Babylonian as well as a goth schoolgirl.

I wanted to make sure and differentiate Julian from all the other Goth schoolgirls in the Hellblazer universe.

I hadn't bothered to memorize Julian's name at that point.

Anyway, I think that's what Garth Ennis' run needed, a few more Goth schoolgirls.

Hang on, if you like Goth schoolgirls, why were you complaining about Julian? Have you had a bad experience with a transvestite in a school uniform or something?