Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Brother Voodoo

I've grown very obsessed with his character as of late. I started sketching him and that grew my love to drawing all over again and been doing a bit of reading online of some vodou stuff in hope that I could come up with some ideas later on to maybe pitch something. Just as I'm falling in love with the character, a few weeks later Marvel makes him the new Sorcerer Supreme and now he's getting his own solo book since being created in the 70s! Well, I'm excited!

Bendis on the new development...

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21637

Interview with Rick Remender, the announced writer of "Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural"

http://comics.ign.com/articles/996/996313p1.html

drvood001__var_cov.jpg

Last time i saw ol' brother voodoo he was fighting zombies with (my one true comic form love) the Rajun Cajun.

Seemed very very z list character to be honest nice to see him hitting at the big time, sorcere supreme eh good on him.

Nothing against Remender exactly, and I know nothing of the plot or writing yet, so this is probably premature, but I just won't be picking up the title. I've been buying Marvel books based on writer name value, and Marvel has loaded their line with top name talent on their titles, so I'm already buying far too many comics, so I just won't bother with a writer who I've seen as very mediocre so far.

This seems to be an interesting title that I'd have some interest in though, so I wish Marvel would've gotten a better writer.

Oh yeah, that's a good read. It reprints all of the Brother Voodoo stories from the original Strange Tales.

Lots of other obscure 1970s Marvel horror characters' stories are collected in there.

I'm not sure if it collects every Brother Voodoo story from the '70s or not. After Strange Tales was canceled, the Voodoo strip was continued in Marvel B&W magazine Tales of the Zombie, and I don't know if those stories are in that volumn or not.

There's an Essential Tales of the Zombie which collects all of those Voodoo stories. It's well worth your time as the majority of the Zombie stories were written by Steve Gerber.

Nice. I only bought this to get the Voodoo issues but looking through the art of the whole book, I'm definitely gonna check out the other stuff.

DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1

Written by RICK REMENDER

Penciled by TO BE REVEALED AT SDCC

Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Variant Cover by BILLY TAN

Launching from the pages of New Avengers, Jericho Drumm assumes the role of Marvel's new Sorcerer Supreme as DOCTOR VOODOO! Having foreseen an unimaginable evil that will soon envelop the Marvel Universe, the Eye of Agamotto has passed the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme on to the one man who has the unique gifts to stave off the coming darkness -- but is Doctor Voodoo ready for the momentous duty as avenger of the supernatural? As Jericho begins to grapple with his colossal new position, malevolent beings of vast power see his arrival as an opportunity to strike.

Rising stars Rick Remender (PUNISHER) and *ARTIST TO BE REVEALED AT SDCC* crack open a new chapter in the Book of Vishanti to tell the ongoing adventures of the new Sorcerer Supreme in the Mighty Marvel fashion!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Was Byrne announced as the super secret artist on the title?

Wow, imagine that. But no, he did that as a commission for a fan of his.

JD2.jpg

DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #2

Written by RICK REMENDER

Penciled by JEFTE PALO

Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Lost, gravely injured and stranded in the low pits of the Everdimensions, Doctor Voodoo is hunted by a brutal living nightmare that holds a festering and contagious self-doubt. Was Jericho given the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme in order to leave our dimension vulnerable to the great evil Agamotto foresees? Or is he the one man with the strength to suppress the coming darkness? The Loas do not listen, the Vishanti cannot answer -- alone Jericho must decide if he is fit to serve. He will soon learn…

:boogie::boogie::boogie:

Does he discuss Moebius as well?

On the flip side of the coin, Mark Waid is writing a Mr. Strange mini-series (he's no longer the doctor).

It's going to show what happens to Stephen Strange now that he's no longer Sorceror Supreme.

I've always been a big fan of Dr. Strange, I'm looking forward to this.

Just because he isn't Sorcerer Supreme doesn't mean he's no longer a doctor. Both Voodoo and Strange were doctors before superheroing.

True enough.

Stephen Strange no longer has his license, I don't believe.

I just wrote that because the mini-series is titled Strange. Maybe they just did that to give it a different title than the other Dr. Strange series throughout history. I just assumed that he no longer had the title of "doctor" now.