TestosteRohne

Blackest Night

Although there is one black protagonist...

Having just reread the widescreen James Cameron glory of the Sinestro Corps, I'm all lubed up for this.

Geoff Johns is Mark Millar with consistancy and acute charecterisation.

I have enough faith for this to be far more than just DC's answer to Marvel Zombies or a jumped up Eclipso event.

Thought it might deserve it's own thread.

Beyond John's Green Lantern has anyone been reading the Green Lantern Corps with any regularity?

I picked up crossover specials but I'm mulling over picking up the rest.

Blackest Night #1- DAMN, was that dark, in more ways than one. On a memorial day for dead superheroes, and those they couldn't save, many fellow heroes (and a few villains) with regular people pay respects in various ways and places, not knowing that soon that grizzly ghouls from every tomb are closing in to seal their doom! Geoff Johns gets every single character perfectly. Ivan Reis draws the heroes majestically, powerfully, while drawing the Black Lanterns decayed and horrifying, as if they were designed by Rick Baker.

All of this has the feel of being the "big one." I have a feeling that this will make the Sinestro Corps War look like a pillow fight.

Various points:

- In the comic shop we were giving away free Black Lantern rings.

- One particular bit that struck me, tugging at the heart strings, was Hal having to tell Barry of all the friends they lost while Barry was gone. I felt just like Barry in being devasted at the loss of all these "friends" I knew from my more innocent times that were killed off, mostly for senseless reasons.

- Black Hand, who is essentially the avatar of the Black Lanterns, gets freak nasty with Bruce Wayne's skull!!!!

- The overall storyline of Hawkman and Hawkgirl (started since Johns himself brought them back) comes to a tragic and touching climax WARNING, BIG SPOILER:

or is it an end!?! Hawkgirl is impaled by the BL Sue Dibny, while Hawkman has his heart ripped out and shown to him by Ralph Dibny. Both Hawks will be resurrected as Black Lanterns.

Blackest Night #1 : Guilty of pandering to the worst excesses of the DCU in recent years. The first 3/4 is a glowing eulogy to times past, with characters once read by people now in their 60s put on high to be grovelled before. Heroes cry. And cry. Then cry some more before taking a little time out to look maudlin. The last 1/4 verges on a parody of 90's grim'n'grittiness as characters known for their whimsy are (quite literally) torn from their graves before being forced to commit horrifically gruesome acts in a manner unfit for human consumption.

Yeah, yeah, I really enjoyed it.

In particular

the creepy-as-fuck splash of the Undead Diphny's which was the right kind of unsettling and little touches (like the Black Lanterns seeing the Hawks in shades of the Lantern Spectrum) that showed just how much thought has gone into the story.

Beyond John's Green Lantern has anyone been reading the Green Lantern Corps with any regularity?

I picked up crossover specials but I'm mulling over picking up the rest.

I've picked up the Corp book from the beginning. It started slow, but Tomasi is a pretty good writer (though i think he was a better editor), it's not up with the main GL book, but it's certianly good enough. But then, i'm a Guy Gardner fanboy, so what do i know.

Speaking of Blackest Night. If they end up killing off Ice again, just when she's come back, i may shed monthly superhero comics for good.

Anyway, if you plan on picking up the crossover books, you should get a good enough feel of the Corps to decide if you want to keep getting it after this crossover is done in Dec or whenever it's finally run it's course.

I'm really enjoying this event, and I'm a person who tends to bash them. I'm not buying it until it comes out in trade though, because there's a ton of books to pick up and I only want to read the "main" stuff, which I'm guessing it's majority in the BN and GL books.

And John better kick some ass.

At some point they've retconned him as a Marine Corps Sharp Shooter, so i have a feeling he will,

against the whole planet he inadvertantly destroyed it's looking like

At some point they've retconned him as a Marine Corps Sharp Shooter, so I have a feeling he will,

against the whole planet he inadvertantly destroyed it's looking like

Yeah I'm glad Johns rewrote The Cosmic Odyssey back into continuity.

Judging by the solicits Blackest Night may be twice the size of his earliar The Sinestro Corps!

And that's discounting certain crossover titles (Batman, Titans and Superman) as being possibly non integral.

Now bigger doesn't guarentee better, but Johns isn't known for decompression (Very much the opposite) so there must be loads of scope in the uber series beyond the my-dead-mates-are-back.

"Blackest Night", wasn't that a 70's era Blaxploitation flick? :icon_gun_2:

You know this will somehow directly or indirectly lead to some of the those dead heroes to be brought back to life, all fine and well.

In brightest day, in blackest night...

Supposedly Alfred Bester came up with that one.

"Let those who"... oh it ended.

But Ryan Reynalds as Hal Jordan?

Jesus, whats next is he Wonder woman?

Ideaistically ie (70's Robert Redford as Cap) a restrained 80's Dennis Quaid would work for me.

You know besides the constricts of time and space.

Tales Of The Corps : Pure fluff really, filling out the third issue with a writer's commentary on Blackest Night #0 was a bit cheeky too. The only story of any real interest was in the first issue, that of the Indigo Corps, who appear to be...um...weirdos ?

Green Lantern #44 : Fisticuffs! The Flash and Green Lantern fight undead Martian Manhunter. Good tie-in issue, top fight with a few minor bits on the overall story (Scar's motivation, the continued flight of the black rings).

Tales Of The Corps : Pure fluff really, filling out the third issue with a writer's commentary on Blackest Night #0 was a bit cheeky too. The only story of any real interest was in the first issue, that of the Indigo Corps, who appear to be...um...weirdos ?

Indigo Corps, Assisted suicide Corps more like.

I enjoyed the Mongul tale and the Saint Walker one was beguilingly moving.

But otherwise fluff yes.

However I hope all the charcters involved will be integral later so that these shorts become necessary.

Thers nothing this week, this can't come out quick enough.

Blackest Night #2 was a good bit of fun, although between this, Green Lantern Corps and Batman:Blackest Night the constant returning dead is getting just a tad weary, but it's early days yet.

I suppose the barrage of zombies is going to effect certain readers somewhere, I for one enjoyed seeing The Beast and the original Ventriloquist return.

But overall, maybe I just don't get zombies.

Nevertheless the Aqua family death reunion and the Martian Manhunter fight in Gotham was a good jaunt.

Ivan Reis is absolutely drawing is arse off here.

Furthermore he's well supported by the series dark tones and heavy shadows.

I presume the scene in which the black lantern rings are unable to penetrate the mysterious forcefield around Hawk's (Or was it Dove's?)grave may be of some signifigance later.

The bullet like rings haven't met with resistance from any other types of barriers yet.

Penned by Tomasi and drawn by some Andy Kubert impersonator, Batman:Blackest Night was better than I had presumed.

Connecting the acrobats Boston Brand, Nightwing and the flying Grayson's is something that could only have worked on this context.

Previews have spoiled who the Big Bad behind Blackest Night is, I'm not familiar with the chap in question so as spoilers go it doesn't really mean much to me! It's

Nekron

, so there you go.

As for this week's antics :

Blackest Night #2 was a lot of fun, as with the first issue the whole thing was totally retarded but still somehow managed to work for me. Really, evil zombie Aquaman and his entourage of Undead Slut Bags should be about fifteen steps too far across the Grim'n'Gritty line but I'll be damned if I wasn't entertained anyway. Agree with TestosteRohne though, in that the next issue needs to move the whole story on - I'd imagine it will as we now have the Undead League set up and raring to go.

Blackest Night Batman was about as good as a tie-in can be for this sort of thing and, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, you can't go far wrong once you Have Damian on panel just being Damian. It also falls perfectly under the matra for the Blackest Night as a whole - too dark to work, but does. Zombie Ventriloquist might just be pushing it a little bit.

GLC just keeps on keeping on, interesting addition to the corps spectrum there, wonder if they'll be shuffled off stage now and kept for a later arc ? Keep forgetting the name of the chap who writes this (Tomesi or something similar) but he's got a knack for the macabre, not the sort of thing you really expect in this kind of comic.

Edit : ...and reading TestosteRohne's post again, I see it's spelled Tomasi and he wrong the Batman tie-in too, so well done that man.

Previews have spoiled who the Big Bad behind Blackest Night is, I'm not familiar with the chap in question so as spoilers go it doesn't really mean much to me! It's

Nekron

, so there you go.

Yeah that means shit to me too.

And to many others I suspect which is probably why it was "leaked" by Johns.

This way it works best building up to it.

Judging from the blurbs of past epic encounters, the character sounds bang up Johns alley.

And the Black power rings appear to predate Blackest Night too.

Actually I know exactly who you are talking about.

It was one of the first Green Lanter stories I bought when I a wee one. It appeared in Tales of the Green Lanter Corps 1-3, which come to think of it was just released in trade form. hmmmmm Krona, a Guardian gone bad, who had been in exile teams with Nekron to kill the GL Corps and the Guardians. Nekron commands the updead of course. Yeah I loved that story. For me it was awesome because for the first time the GL Corps came together en masse to battle a terrible enemy and there was lots of death.

I can't make up my mind about that scene in the first issue of the Titans mini - it's either quite creepy or really retarded, I'm leaning towards dumb, with a big fuck off D.

Since i'm not buying the periphery mini-series attached to this (and that may be a mistake) could you (a) tell me what scene you're talking about [though, i could guess from the cover] and (b) should i be getting the other mini's?

should i be getting the other mini's?

I'll post a scan of the scene later on.

As for the other minis, the Superman one was alright and I quite liked the Batman one, both're pretty far from 'must reads' though.