Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Gays and Blacks Are Contrived, Dammit!

These sort of twats are one of the main reason people laugh at comics nerds.

^Especially the one which basically argues that segregation is the best policy....

That was a damn good article, my man.

I couldn't find one area that I didn't agree with, and it was very well written, using the right touches of aggressive argumentation and sarcasm to get your points across when addressing the small-minded attitude of some comic fans.

Personally, I've always been upset that so many times in comics when an homosexual character is introduced, they do only serve the purpose of "being gay" (the idea which you touched on as "a gay character needs to have a purpose to exist and can't be treated like other characters"). That's when it becomes contrived.

I, for one, am interested in this upcoming series by Dwayne McDuffie. It sounds like a good area of the DCU to explore, one that's been largely untapped.

^Especially the one which basically argues that segregation is the best policy....

That was a damn good article, my man.

I couldn't find one area that I didn't agree with, and it was very well written, using the right touches of aggressive argumentation and sarcasm to get your points across when addressing the small-minded attitude of some comic fans.

Personally, I've always been upset that so many times in comics when an homosexual character is introduced, they do only serve the purpose of "being gay" (the idea which you touched on as "a gay character needs to have a purpose to exist and can't be treated like other characters"). That's when it becomes contrived.

I, for one, am interested in this upcoming series by Dwayne McDuffie. It sounds like a good area of the DCU to explore, one that's been largely untapped.

Agreed.Agreed.

Those comments(from the link)are vile.The worst part is that all the posters think they're so clever,despite the fact they're merely updating stupid shit there grandparents said ages ago,but with a fresh sprinkling of sarcasm and pop culture references.Truly sad.

Liefeld is such a tool.he can put Obama in Youngblood a few times to sell his godawfull comics,but god forbid this random,non destinct,guy with swords,from another dimension makes the leap to Queer and it no longer makes sense.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Have you guys read any of Liefeld's comments about the situation?

“… I have nothing against gays, I have gay family, nuthin’ but love here,” he wrote on his message board (registration required). “Ditto gay characters if that’s what their true origins are.

“As the guy that created, designed and wrote his first dozen appearances, Shatterstar is not gay. Sorry. Can’t wait to someday undo this. Seems totally contrived.”

“Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He’s a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one.”

Great, if utterly depressing, article Greg.

Hard to believe that people believe that kind of shit in this day and age.

Then again, people buy Anne Coulter books.

“Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He’s a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one.”

Because there weren't any homosexuals in ancient Greece. Perish the thought.

To be fair (although it's Liefield, so really, fuck that), I don't think that's what he's saying with that comment, but you're completely correct that it reads as if he is saying, "This guy is tough, that means he's certainly not gay!". Idiot.

I can't wait until the "Conversion Therapy Really Works" Liefield Special of X-Force!

Also, the fact that people think they can get away with this shite by saying random relative is of that persuasion.

"Yup, gays are a menace to society. But, I'm not biased against gays because my 83rd cousin on my great-great-great-great-grandfather's brother's side of the family was thought to be gay."

I'd honestly rather people just admitted to their prejudice than tried to disguise it for they can pretend they're still playing the stupid "P.C." game.

Fair enough,but I really do wonder if he would object so strongly to,just as an example,Shatterstar devoloping a gambling or substance abuse problem.Lets say for another example that Shatterstar started a relationship with a female teammate and in an angry moment slapped her,other than battered woman's groups(who would be entitled to)who would be outraged?

If Shatterstar acted cowardly in battle and that lead to the injury or death of a fellow mutant,would California Rob be twittering about that it?If Marvel comics came up with a derogatory word for humans,and it becomes all the rage among young mutants to slur it in the direction of humans and Shatterstar said it and spit on them as he did so,who would denounce it in a blog?

I know I'm grasping a bit too far here,but I think there's a reason this hit such a sore spot in his programming.

Fair enough,but I really do wonder if he would object so strongly to,just as an example,Shatterstar devoloping a gambling or substance abuse problem.Lets say for another example that Shatterstar started a relationship with a female teammate and in an angry moment slapped her,other than battered woman's groups(who would be entitled to)who would be outraged?

If Shatterstar acted cowardly in battle and that lead to the injury or death of a fellow mutant,would California Rob be twittering about that it?If Marvel comics came up with a derogatory word for humans,and it becomes all the rage among young mutants to slur it in the direction of humans and Shatterstar said it and spit on them as he did so,who would denounce it in a blog?

It might very well be the case, but we're dealing with hypotheticals here. Liefield may have this same reaction to anyone making his beloved crappy character look negative in his eyes.

Although, if he didn't see beating up women as negative, as he seems to be saying about his character being gay, I guess he wouldn't have the same sort of problem, now would he?

And, as far as the last example, there's always Kitty Pryde who spent a period during Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men telling an African-American woman, "If you can't understand why I'm so angry at being called a 'mutie', maybe it's because you're a nigger. Right?".

And, no, I'm not making this up at all. Chris Claremont was actually self-important and deluded enough to use a real-life example of racial hatred as a plot device to get over the fact that his fictional creations were a maligned minority. Yes, he did get the entire concept ass backwards.

But, it's ok to make your own character a raving racist, so this is a separate issue.

It just might explain why these comic fans cited are such ignorant bigots though.

I never had any idea that Claremont did that,I'm really stunned.

Liefeld seemed to think this was Marvel/Peter David's atempt at some press,which considering his inclusion of President Obama in his Youngblood comic,is laughable.

We can all point out really obvious,sometimes heavy handed civil rights metaphors in X-men comics.Peter David didn't start that ball rolling and,come to think of it Marvel does have a negative word they use for humans-flatscan.David invented the term,and had Quicksilver once say to Val Cooper"Some of my best friends are mutants...oh Val,how very typical of a flatscan".I just can't see how this plot twist is so out of place in these books about hatred and being born different.

Shatterstar has always been a crappy character,creators after Liefeld dealt with as they pleased,with continuously crappy results.Thank god Rob put his foot down before they turned the time travelling,bionic armed,magical eye glowing,son of Cyclops and Marvel Girl and saviour of the mutant race into"a gay".That would make the character implausible.

Keep Cable straight,keep Cable straight!

Wasn't "sap" introduced as a mutant prejudice term for the rest of humanity during that House of M foolishness as well?

Yeah, they did, but I don't remember what it was, and "sap" isn't ringing any bells.

"Flatscan" is Marvel's answer to "cracker".

Rak-Yep, and Marvel published these stories, giving them glaring reviews for their "humanitarian messages", seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were highly offensive.

Meanwhile, during this same period, they had a policy in place to make sure that no character be portrayed as homosexual in their comics.

Shameful.

Good article, Greg! And good sequel to your article about black characters in comics.

I have to echo the "depressing" remark. Are so many comic fans really that backward? Great. :sad:

It's funny how some people in favored groups get to feel entitled to seeing portrayals of only people like themselves, or at least get used to it and comfortable with it, especially after the media have fed them on a diet of straights only or almost exclusively white shows and movies, never mind comics.

Addition - Though I do think that people of color have often been introduced to entertainment fare for younger people because they, more so than older generations, grew up around a mix of ethnicities and would think it strange that something they watched/read didn't have any people of color in it. Comics, though, are now read mostly by adults, not children, so maybe that's why they, and especially a traditional genre like superhero books, lag behind television and the movies in ethnic diversity. Or so it seems to me anyway.

The letter's page of the newest issue of X-Factor addresses the fall-out of the Rictor/Shatterstar angle.

One letter writer was disgusted by having to see that and is going to stop reading the title.

In fact, she ripped up the issue and thought about destroying every other issue of X-Factor she owned. A rational response.

In fact, she contradicts Balthy's entire hypothesis, "Can't there be just ONE book on the market without any gays or lesbians in it?", she writes. That's right, there's not one comic on the market lacking in those pesky gays.

"Damn it, all three books on the market have gay people in them! There are only three comic books available, right? There's only three comics on my store's rack anyway."

I'm just glad this isn't an earlier period in Marvel history, when the editors had to suck up to every reader to try to keep them reading the books.

"Sorry you didn't like the direction of the book. Not every story can please every reader. Keep reading though, you might be pleasantly surprised at future developments, you never know. Keep being a Merry Marvel Bigot!"

Peter David was able to respond honestly to the letter writer's sexism.

I should add, though, that the comic-writing world still has a little trouble writing gay characters that feel real (at least to me). That's certainly not true of every single gay character, but it isn't too uncommon either.

And Peter Milligan: Lenny and Kathy always struck me as more of a wank fantasy than a convincing lesbian couple.

You mean Garth Ennis?

heh

In that regard, Garth "the biggest closet case since Norman Mailer" Ennis is in a class by himself. :laugh: