Balthazar    167

Yes, I can't wait to see this. Especially Elba as Roque. And Morgan as Clay. And Evans as Jensen. And I'm looking forward to seeing Saldana become a hard-ass psycho killer.

St. Apathy    140
losersposter.jpg

Is that a new thing Jock did for the movie, or just repurosed art? 'Cause Roque does look different.

Red    467

A "Losers" film could be very very good or....awful. The concept lends itself to film, but it could also easily be totally declawed.

Also, I'm sure Saldana is good, but why not find an actual middle eastern girl to play Aisha?

Balthazar    167
Also, I'm sure Saldana is good, but why not find an actual middle eastern girl to play Aisha?

Yeah, that really stood out to me too.

JasonT    438
Is that a new thing Jock did for the movie, or just repurosed art? 'Cause Roque does look different.

Is it my imagination, or do all of the characters in the poster look more-or-less like the actors?

Mark    332

It's not your imagination, that's a reworked bit of promo art. They've changed the ethnicity of a couple of the characters, which doesn't bother me at all aside from Saldana, in which instance I share Pål's concern - most of the other characters could have any skin colour or ethnic background without changing their roles in the story to any significant degree, but Aisha's Middle-Eastern background is, unless I'm seriously misremembering (it's been ages since I read the book, and I never got past the second volume), pretty important to her character.

Hmm. There's definitely potential for a good movie in The Losers, and since it already appears that they're taking a respectful-but-not-slavishly-faithful approach to the source material, I'm erring on the side of cautious optimism, if only for a bit of a change. Still too early to really tell, though.

St. Apathy    140

The choice of Saldana as Aisha doesn't really surprise me, quite frankly I won't be surprised if she's not Pashtun anymore.

Atticus    164

Yeah, that really stood out to me too.

Aye, it is a damn shame. I don't think she'd necessarily be bad in the role, just wrong (if that makes sense).

Red    467
Aisha's Middle-Eastern background is, unless I'm seriously misremembering (it's been ages since I read the book, and I never got past the second volume), pretty important to her character.

Indeed. She's an Afghan who grew up fighting the soviets. It's really not a detail.

But given the current political climate, having an Afghan guerilla as one of the movie's heroes might not go down too well, given Obamas intensified war over there...

Red    467
Well most of the comic wouldn't go down well.

Defanged it's just another pop action film.

My point exactly. [<--disheartened]

Lou K    1,053

Shit yeah, that looks like a lot of fun! Always did like The Losers. Could turn out nto be crap but I'll watch it at the matinee for cheap.

Love Chris Evans as Jenkins. I thought he was one of the few redeeming things about the Fantastic Four franchise. That dude cracks me up.

Not sure who this cat is that's playin' Clay but I like it.

Cougar looks a little too tame, like not hard enough to be the silent sniper. idk

Not thrilled about Aisha not being Middle Eastern, but what can you do.

Shawn    297

He played the Comedian in Watchmen.

Lou K    1,053

He played the Comedian in Watchmen.

Whoa

JohnMcMahon    562

They've nailed Jensen, which is pretty much all they had to do to get me on board, looks like being pretty faithful to the source too.

The Jensen/Cougar scene was probably my favourite bit in the comics so glad to see that in there - hope Andy is getting paid!

St. Apathy    140

The general feel is a bit more like Oceans 11 than I'd've liked. I like Roque an Jensen too. Clay, I'm not sure. Aisha, ehhh.

Cougar should be more subdued, though I'd understand if this was just the trailer trying to make him noticed.

Red    467

Aisha was easily my favorite character, and she looks...not good. I'll still watch it though. If half the ace action scenes from the comic are in the film, it'll be grade A entertainment.

Abhimanyu    20

Aisha was easily my favorite character, and she looks...not good.

Yeah. Saldana has been pretty bland in everything I've seen her in - Avatar, Star Trek et al.

Atticus    164

Sure, it might be just another pop action film, but it looks like a fun pop action film.

Agreed that Aisha's character seems to have suffered in the page to screen transition, but the rest of the cast seem to be up to scratch. I'll still go to see it happily.

Mickey Eye    153

Looks like fun, always struck me as a very filmic book, agreeing with the "pity about Aisha" casting though. Guessing it'll be less Afghan based from her plus trailer, which is a pity.

Abhimanyu    20

Looks like fun, always struck me as a very filmic book, agreeing with the "pity about Aisha" casting though. Guessing it'll be less Afghan based from her plus trailer, which is a pity.

I don't know...it looks like quite a bland movie to me. The lack of any solid actors aside from Idris Elba (and even he is starting to not count, given his post-Wire output) and the aggressively standard trailer aren't a good start. Action movies have gone a little past the one-liners and big explosions template these days. But maybe the trailer's just misleading.

Akhira    29

The Sherlock Holmes trailer was misleading. There might be hope for this one. Though I despair of ever finding a decent book to screen transition of interesting female characters.