I haven't read a good review of this movie yet. Not even one. Bad sign.

How about this review in Empire?

"Lithe, bold, often funny and full of characters to cheer for, it never pretends to be anything more than a trigger-happy romp. If that’s what you’re after, The Losers offers plenty of explosive entertainment."

3 stars out of 5 is a decent review in my book. And that was just the first review I looked for.

Good! I went and saw it anyway and I liked it. Stayed pretty faithful to the book, though the first few opening scenes, every character was hoakie as shit. real cornball bullshit. But they settled down and it took off from there. I'd say 3 of 5 stars was about right.

So it was defanged, and the most captivating character was dreadfully tamed and all-but butchered, stripping it of whatever was fresh about the book, but it wasn't bad. Huh. Mostly an enthuthiastic cast taking a so-so script and doing as good as can be hoped for, but still.

Could've done without the football sequence at the end, funny as it was.

My copy of The Losers DVD arrived yesterday.

Haven't watched it yet, but it did come with this rather lovely wee poster that will be heading for a picture frames soon:

Image0348.jpg

It's perfectly fine, and has the exact same plot as the A-Team movie while being far more entertaining. Turning Max into a comedy nebbish was a dumb idea though. Everything else was already light and daft enough - he could've added a little more weight to the proceedings.

There'll never be a sequel and I think that's kind of a shame.