Sign in to follow this  
RavynLoony

Jonah Hex Movie!

That looks fuckin' sweet! And Josh Brolin can do the job for sure. I think the eye candy's kind of bunk - Jonah Hex don't roll like that. But that is fuckin' (lemme hear it) SWEET!

Yeah that poster is definitely working for me. Also the fact that Josh Brolin is in the lead gives me hope. He is becoming one of my favorite actors of late. After seeing him in Planet Terror I became a fan. Then even more so in No Country for Old Men.

My familiarity with Jonah Hex doesn't extend beyond his wiki page. Still, it looks interesting.

That looks fuckin' sweet! And Josh Brolin can do the job for sure. I think the eye candy's kind of bunk - Jonah Hex don't roll like that. But that is fuckin' (lemme hear it) SWEET!

Also, I'm a big Megan Fox'd out... But yeah, whee!!!!

Yeah that poster is definitely working for me. Also the fact that Josh Brolin is in the lead gives me hope. He is becoming one of my favorite actors of late. After seeing him in Planet Terror I became a fan. Then even more so in No Country for Old Men.

Yep, same exact for me! I actually didn't know of him until Planet Terror and he was one of my absolute favs in the movie. Then I saw No Country For Old Men and then later on Milk. The guy has climbed up to my top favorite actors.

Yeah, that poster isn't really doing it for me - I wouldn't be totally opposed to the idea of a Jonah Hex movie (although as a character, he shares the same problem faced by the Punisher, in that he's relatively-unusual for a comic hero, but represents a character archetype which has been done to death in cinema, making it hard to put together a satisfying film adaptation), but the colour pallet and logo for this seem to be pushing some "it's a bit like Underworld, but in the Wild West!" buttons which rather put me off.

That said, I could cheerfully spend many months of my life doing terrible, vile, degrading things to Megan Fox, repeatedly and with only occasional breaks for food, sleep and recuperation. But that wasn't enough to get me to see Transformers 2 either, although I'm optimistically curious about Jennifer's Body.

Yeah, that poster isn't really doing it for me - I wouldn't be totally opposed to the idea of a Jonah Hex movie (although as a character, he shares the same problem faced by the Punisher, in that he's relatively-unusual for a comic hero, but represents a character archetype which has been done to death in cinema, making it hard to put together a satisfying film adaptation), but the colour pallet and logo for this seem to be pushing some "it's a bit like Underworld, but in the Wild West!" buttons which rather put me off.

That said, I could cheerfully spend many months of my life doing terrible, vile, degrading things to Megan Fox, repeatedly and with only occasional breaks for food, sleep and recuperation. But that wasn't enough to get me to see Transformers 2 either, although I'm optimistically curious about Jennifer's Body.

What he said except that I loathe Megan Fox and the fact that she is in this movie makes me want to see it a lot less.

Truth about the colour. I instantly thought something like this would had more sense.

jonahhexposterred.jpg

Now I'm not sure, but you know what I meant.

It wouldn't be a long term thing ever, being the REAL Jonah Hexs' frill!. He is bad luck to hang about with.

Actually looking forward to this movie. Be interesting to hear how well the movie makers replicate the old fashioned pistol sounds. And how they portray the Indian characters.

What he said except that I loathe Megan Fox and the fact that she is in this movie makes me want to see it a lot less.

She's a mediocre actress at best, a vacuous and irritating interviewee, and to be honest, her presence in any movie would be unlikely to sway me one way or another*, or at least not until I'd already weighed up things like the writer, director, the rest of the cast, etc etc etc. But - and it's a big but - she's absolutely filthy hot, and I ain't going to pretend that's nothing.

Yeah, I do cringe a little every time I read another interview with her when she contorts herself to press as many "sultry sexpot starlet" buttons as possible. Just to pick a few recent examples, it's oddly-convenient that so many of the personal secrets she's chosen to mention just happen to drive her teen-guy audience wild (oh, so you're actively bi, are you? And a "highly-sexual person"? And you'd love to have sex with Angelina Jolie? Wow, we've got so much in common!). As I said, it makes me cringe, because such a shameless, obviously-manipulative performance really shouldn't work quite as well as it does.

Also, if I can borrow Pål's "right-on" hat for a few moments, it really does piss me off that mainstream female artists in almost any medium have to jump through so many ridiculous hoops to stand any chance of a successful career, when the same is so blatantly not true for men - which isn't to say that I don't still enjoy getting the chance to perv over the resulting photoshoots, "artistically-necessary" nude scenes and the like, because I totally do. But, false nobility aside, it clearly does work, so what'cha gonna do except roll with it?

*I assume this must be what it feels like for those of you who find Scarlett Johannson a lot more attractive than wot I do, because she's vacuous, irritating and a lousy-to-middling actress too, but her admittedly-splendid rack and ass seem to have half the guys I know under some kind of spell.

Brolin and Fassbender aside, not interested.

It really depends if the director (Whose one film I've never seen) can cover the poor script writers involved.

Yeah, that poster isn't really doing it for me - I wouldn't be totally opposed to the idea of a Jonah Hex movie (although as a character, he shares the same problem faced by the Punisher, in that he's relatively-unusual for a comic hero, but represents a character archetype which has been done to death in cinema, making it hard to put together a satisfying film adaptation)

This is exact thing put me off watching Punisher. But made me pick up a trade.

She's a mediocre actress at best, a vacuous and irritating interviewee, and to be honest, her presence in any movie would be unlikely to sway me one way or another*, or at least not until I'd already weighed up things like the writer, director, the rest of the cast, etc etc etc. But - and it's a big but - she's absolutely filthy hot, and I ain't going to pretend that's nothing.

Yeah, I do cringe a little every time I read another interview with her when she contorts herself to press as many "sultry sexpot starlet" buttons as possible. Just to pick a few recent examples, it's oddly-convenient that so many of the personal secrets she's chosen to mention just happen to drive her teen-guy audience wild (oh, so you're actively bi, are you? And a "highly-sexual person"? And you'd love to have sex with Angelina Jolie? Wow, we've got so much in common!). As I said, it makes me cringe, because such a shameless, obviously-manipulative performance really shouldn't work quite as well as it does.

Also, if I can borrow Pål's "right-on" hat for a few moments, it really does piss me off that mainstream female artists in almost any medium have to jump through so many ridiculous hoops to stand any chance of a successful career, when the same is so blatantly not true for men - which isn't to say that I don't still enjoy getting the chance to perv over the resulting photoshoots, "artistically-necessary" nude scenes and the like, because I totally do. But, false nobility aside, it clearly does work, so what'cha gonna do except roll with it?

*I assume this must be what it feels like for those of you who find Scarlett Johannson a lot more attractive than wot I do, because she's vacuous, irritating and a lousy-to-middling actress too, but her admittedly-splendid rack and ass seem to have half the guys I know under some kind of spell.

I could've sworn you were one of the ones who found Scarlett Johansson attractive! Must be remembering wrong.

But anyhow, it's not just all the things you said in above post (which are all true). I do not pretend that I only think about how good an actress' acting skills are when I consider how much I want to watch their performances. Thing is, I don't find Megan Fox all that attractive either. She has that sort of underfed, overtanned, overdone in every way look to me. She's no mediocre actress though. Mediocre indicates some skill in the acting department. I haven't seen her act in anything yet.

Scarlett Johansson is a Cate Blanchett next to Megan Fox. She has actually put in a couple reasonably decent performances and she doesn't seem to be quite AS vacuous as Fox. Not by a long shot.

Yeah, that poster isn't really doing it for me - I wouldn't be totally opposed to the idea of a Jonah Hex movie (although as a character, he shares the same problem faced by the Punisher, in that he's relatively-unusual for a comic hero, but represents a character archetype which has been done to death in cinema, making it hard to put together a satisfying film adaptation)

This is exact thing put me off watching Punisher. But made me pick up a trade.

Although the territory may be well covered, in the right hands it could still be incredibly relevant.

Especially with the Afghan War still raging.

In the Valley of Elah the action film.

It just didn't help that Thomas Jane notwithstanding they had three seperate sets of idiots screw up the films.

That takes talent.

I'm not really sure how to take that. Jimmy Hayward's previous directing credits are animated features. Decent ones though they are, I'm not sure how that will hold for something so different in tone like Jonah Hex.

I really would like to see a good treatment of Jonah Hex on the silver screen. Hopefully this will fit the bill.

I guess it's not surprising they have some piece of ass on the movie poster with him: video entertainment has gotten to be very T&A over the past number of years. I think it would have been better to see Hex walking down the main street of some western small town with the "solid citizens" of the town (mayor, richest man and such) looking on him with disapproval and worry, perhaps with the poster art implying heroism and/or other possible redeeming qualities in Hex in defiance of "respectable" opinion.

I think it would have been better to see Hex walking down the main street of some western small town with the "solid citizens" of the town (mayor, richest man and such) looking on him with disapproval and worry, perhaps with the poster art implying heroism and/or other possible redeeming qualities in Hex in defiance of "respectable" opinion.

Hmmm, yes , yes I think I like your idea.

I think it would have been better to see Hex walking down the main street of some western small town with the "solid citizens" of the town (mayor, richest man and such) looking on him with disapproval and worry, perhaps with the poster art implying heroism and/or other possible redeeming qualities in Hex in defiance of "respectable" opinion.

Hmmm, yes , yes I think I like your idea.

To be humbly honest, it was pretty much what I remembered of some panels from a reprint of the original Jonah Hex title. But I think its effectiveness is yet another example of the rightness of keeping to the substance and spirit of the original material when making a comic book movie. (Which I yet again wish fervently that the makers of Constantine had done.)

Comic book panels make such good story boards! I can see in my minds eye, now more clearly than ever, what a faithful Hellblazer movie might have looked. It would have appeared low-key much of the time, with asshole bartenders and non-glitzily attractive toughmouthed women in downscale pubs a man in a rumpled trenchcoat at the end of the bar drinking alone and looking like he wants to be disturbed by no one. It could be established early that he's a drinker, that he knows a few people, that maybe not all of them like him, that he's a smartass, and that he seems not to be gainfully employed. He'd be played by a man with an attractive Anglo-Saxon face with looks a little worse for wear, perhaps due to dissipation.

Next he can either be approached by someone, thereby starting a typical Constantine adventure started by someone asking for his help. Or he can leave the pub and go walk out on the street for a bit. Maybe he can summon Chaz and they can talk for a bit, establishing their relationship. Chaz would be played by a middle-aged man in good shape who is as tall as Constantine but a bit stockier with a full head of black hair. If they just talk on the sidewalk or Chaz drives John for a short distance, John can go back to his apartment, which would be the typical apartment that he always seems to have, unpretentious to say the least, and he can settle in. But maybe there could be some weird artifacts in the background when he ignores as routine. Perhaps he could have a difficult phone conversation with Kit, briefly looking more stressed or annoyed after the call than before, but then grumblingly letting that go. During the call Kit could make a cryptic, disapproving remark about "that stuff you're into" or however she would really phrase it.

John's basic character and core relationships could be established without getting into the magic at first other than hinting at it. He would mostly be an ordinary man, but one who somehow captures and keeps the viewers interest. Then things could slowly get weirder, and John's relationship with the occult can firm up and gain clarity in the eyes of the audience. Special effects would be used sparingly and in a way that would contrast strongly with the ordinariness of John's life but still somehow belong to it. The movie would be character- rather than action-driven. It would be cheaper to make than Constantine was, with some of the money saved spent on better writers, and at least some kind of consulting with Ennis, Ellis, Carey, other longterm writers and even Delano if he was willing.

I don't know if what I've written in the last three paragraphs is any good, but it's one hell of a lot better than what we got from Time-Warner and that music video director. :witchhunt: