RavynLoony

Green Lantern

I think it looks like it might be a little better than Thor. Or it seems that it might. The trailers for Thor displayed enough to show me that the film I saw in the theater was not different from the one they tried to sell me in the trailer. If that same truth holds for GL, it will surpass Thor as quality entertainment.

Christ, this trailer is absolutely dreadful. If this was put together for, say, SDCC, it'd be fairly good (the CGI is setting off my Uncanny Valley sensors something rotten, but it's hard to judge that sort of thing from a trailer), but as a cinematic trailer, it's bafflingly terrible.

This is how they're trying to sell the concept to an audience who've never heard of Green Lantern? A full minute-and-a-half of goofy-sounding backstory and exposition before they even show us the central character? Fuck off. That's just incredibly bad marketing, so fundamentally ill-conceived that it beggars belief. Virtually nothing in this trailer is going to mean a damn thing to anyone but the people who are already pre-conditioned to go "whoo!" at seeing Sinestro, or Oa, or Abin Sur, or the rest of it, and there aren't enough of those guys to support a big-budget summer blockbuster.

How hard do you have to try to miss the point of "ordinary guy gets a magic wishing-ring"? That's the core appeal of Green Lantern. All the complicated sci-fi trappings should come after you've established that, otherwise you've lost your audience before you ever had them.

My prediction: this film is going to flop hard.

I kinda liked it, and I presume (hope?) it plays better with the crowds in the theaters solely because of the 3D eye-candy, but I too wish they had much more of the "constructs", as they call them. As you mentioned, I think they're trying to sell this one as the next Star Wars, and not The Last Starfighter, which might backfire, though I still think that the move itself, even from misguided trailers, looks slick enough for the people to crowd the theaters initially, and I hope it's entertaining/good enough to keep those crowds.

I'm inclined to agree with Mark as I think that the movie will flop given that they have gone for the whole Green Lantern shebang there with Oa, the Guardians, Sinestro, Parallax etc.

I think it would have been better to have gone with a completely Earth based movie with Abin Sur being the only alien and have Hal Jordan up against some Earthly threat only then to have him be dragged off to Oa by the ring as an epilogue then to introduce the whole bigger scope of the Green Lantern Corps in the sequel.

Having said that I did quite enjoy the trailer.

I'm with Mark. Doubly so since it didn't even tickle me, and I AM a comicbook nerd. The Star Wars reference is very apt, Rogan, since this trailer makes the Lucas mistake of thinking that it was the AWESOME JEDIS which made the series popular, not Luke Skywalker. This trailer tells us absolutely fuck-all about the main character, for christ's sake!

I think it would have been better to have gone with a completely Earth based movie with Abin Sur being the only alien and have Hal Jordan up against some Earthly threat only then to have him be dragged off to Oa by the ring as an epilogue then to introduce the whole bigger scope of the Green Lantern Corps in the sequel.

You mean exactly the way it was done in the comics? Yeah, I think that might have been sensible. That's always the danger with adapting a long-running franchise - it's too easy to assume that all the extended-universe crap which has accumulated over the course of years/decades is a lot more fundamental than it actually is, and end up frontloading it in a way which risks alienating/overwhelming the potential new audience. It's not that you can't go on to introduce that stuff, but you need to establish the basics first.

Prompted by James' mention of the same thing over in the "Constantine in the DCU" thread, I'm getting very strong vibes of this famously catastrophic attempt to sell an existing character/franchise to a new audience, which I've always held up as the archetypal example of How Not To Do It, for the reasons outlined above.

I'm getting very strong vibes of this

Christ, that looked awful.

Comparing it with the later re-launch - which ended up filling far more of the backstory, in far greater depth over the course of four seasons, in a way which hooked the general public in huge numbers - really highlights just how wrong they got it, and I'm sensing a lot of the same mistakes in this GL trailer.

I'm surprised I've never shown you that one, actually. It's not good at all, but it's definitely interesting.

... this famously catastrophic attempt to sell an existing character/franchise to a new audience, which I've always held up as the archetypal example of How Not To Do It, for the reasons outlined above.

... It's not good at all, but it's definitely interesting.

In the interests of balance, I liked the 1996 movie. Except the bullshit ending, which would have done RTD proud.

Wow, you guys weren't exaggerating-- Blake Lively is downright awful.

Other than that, it looks like it will be a decent enough film. Ditto for Captain America: The First Avenger.

I've been watching some of the initial reviews coming in on Rotten Tomatoes, and I must admit to feeling a slightly guilty sense of "told ya so". Maybe they should have gone with the Jack Black comedy version after all?

Hey, I'll watch JB in anything!

Yeah, the early reviews such as this one are disheartening. I still hope that I'll have some fun watching the movie and that they'll maybe get a better sequel out of it. Still, since this one's Geoff John's brainchild, maybe this will start lessening his pull on the direction of the DCU.

"Disheartening" is putting it mildly. It's currently sitting around 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's not just from a tiny handful of no-name critics. It's too early to say if the terrible reviews are going to kill the box office - it's possible there's an unexpectedly huge number of fanatical Green Lantern fans out there - but critically, it's pretty safe to say that this is an absolute turkey.

Well, crap.

DC really can'g get their act together, in any media, can they? I love them, much much more than Marvel, but man, do i hate seeing them get their asses kicked on all media platforms.

EDIT :

Bleeding Cool have a positive review of GL, but then again, they would, wouldn't they?

"Disheartening" is putting it mildly. It's currently sitting around 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, and that's not just from a tiny handful of no-name critics. It's too early to say if the terrible reviews are going to kill the box office - it's possible there's an unexpectedly huge number of fanatical Green Lantern fans out there - but critically, it's pretty safe to say that this is an absolute turkey.

Yeah, I skimmed through those reviews yesterday. and of the few positive ones, a relatively high proportion were geek-friendly magazines. The mainstream media were 90% massively critical.