Sign in to follow this  
dogpoet

Guardians of the Galaxy...

I have to admit, I'm enjoying this hugely. The fact that Marvel have now started doing crossovers and events with their cosmic type titles (this and Nova, obviously Dan Abnett likes a bit of space opera) is a bit irksome, but given it was spun off from the two Annihilation things in the first place, I'm sure that's fair enough.

Great fun.

Am I allowed to reply since you know already that I'm reading it?

I really haven't liked the title as much with the "War of Kings" cross-over. The same thing happened the last time the book was forced into a cross-over (Secret Invasion).

Otherwise though, this really is my second favourite Marvel title (nothing beats Incredible Hercules, for me). Seeing that it's different, very well written, and a favourite amongst the type of people who don't normally read Marvel superhero titles, I'm surprised cancellation hasn't been announced yet.

Perhaps the fact that it's a companion title to Nova will save it.

Marvel has a real tendency to ax all of their cult favourite titles pretty quickly since Jemas has been gone (NextWave, Irredemable Ant Man).

Hang on, Jemas was keen to keep (say) Captain Marvel going?

I'm not mad keen on this War Of Kings business, but I did like the 30th century issue with the proper Guardians of the Galaxy. (Though Abnett is obviously going to bottle the end of that one...)

Have you read the original Guardians comics written by Steve Gerber?

If not, they're well worth your time. Lots of cosmic goodness, and the first non-underground sex scene in a comic book (although nothing was actually shown on panel).

(The last bit isn't actually any reason to read the series, it just has that noteriety.)

Well, with Captain Marvel, as much a shame as that was, at least the series was given a proper run (more than 50 issues) and was even relaunched half-way through to try to get more reader interest. The book was given a chance to succeed. I might have to point the finger more at comic fans for Captain Marvel's fate.

Although, given the chance, I really doubt NextWave would've caught any more fan interest.

But, hey, Peter David on X-Factor is actually going to be getting a more than 50 issue run.

I recall there being a few of the old GOG stories printed in the Star Wars comic, back in the day.

Another thing I like about this is that Abnett's turned Adam Warlock back into the Magus. That's probably the most interestiung thing that could be done with the character at this point, even if it does suggest yet another cosmic miniseries and crossover lurking in the wings...

Does that include his godawful Thanos series or all of those crappy minis from the early '90s?

Hell, yes!

I never read the Thanos book, and don't know what it's about.

I did like some of the "Starlin returns to Warlock" stuff, although the cross-overs were crap, but I should have given that a qualifier.

Coda:This statement does not include post-1970s Jim Starlin comics.

I wonder if this month is the final issue of Guardians?

There's no next issue page, which Marvel usually features in all their comics, including every other issue of Guardians.

Plus, it was pretty definitive ending to this month's issue, which usually takes place to wrap up outstanding plots when a writer has to quickly finish a book due to cancellation.

I wonder if this month is the final issue of Guardians?

There's no next issue page, which Marvel usually features in all their comics, including every other issue of Guardians.

Plus, it was pretty definitive ending to this month's issue, which usually takes place to wrap up outstanding plots when a writer has to quickly finish a book due to cancellation.

I'm going with a "no" on it being the final issue, what with Real of Kings coming up. And Marvel has it solicited for Nov, Dec, and Jan. starting with:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #20

Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING

Penciled by BRAD WALKER

Cover by ALEX GARNER

A REALM OF KINGS story! The Guardians have been to hell and back on a desperate quest to save the past, present and future of the universe itself. But after their monumental efforts and terrible sacrifice, could it be that--due to the end of WAR OF KINGS and the creation of The Fault--the universe is an even more dangerous place than before...and they just don't realize it yet? Yes, it's time to shake up the team line-up again in the book that Newsarama's Best Shots calls "Marvel's most enjoyable team book...There's a tremendous amount of action punctuated by some terrific humor and character development."