A. Heathen

Walking Dead

Cleaned up version of the comic-con trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exy72FOaPvU

If this someone manages not to be up to snuff then my faith in pretty much everything (which, granted, is fairly limited) will be totally and utterly shattered.

Morgan Jones sniping zombies for fuck's sake!

One minor gripe, comic spoilers follow...[ Spoiler : the 'all dead' reveal in the comics, as the snow melts off the sign, is one of the series high-points so it's a shame it won't appear here in a similar manner here. ]

They went ahead and put an official version online now. It's a bit higher res than John's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MmCanaLQGE

At 2:20 in the trailer, you see the current artist on the comic, Charlie Adlard, as a zombie. It's a split second and if you blink, you'll miss it.

Unless you watch this whole featurette all about Zombie Adlard that lasts a minute longer than the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUyPsGMqbJI

If I manage to never see the ten-years-later follow-up they made a few years ago, I will totally be able to watch this show as The Further Adventures of Egg Out Of THIS LIFE. And that pleases me.

THAT is where I saw that face before.

:)

How the fuck did he end up getting this part?. He isn't an American is he. Has he done anything since This Life?. I vaguely remember seeing him in a movie or two.

I won't be watching this because, well, scary movie, but I was impressed with how well they seemed to follow the comic.

How the fuck did he end up getting this part?. He isn't an American is he. Has he done anything since This Life?. I vaguely remember seeing him in a movie or two.

American TV and cinema is absolutely full of British actors these days. And a good number of Australians too. They're cheaper than their American equivalents and equally - or sometimes more - talented.

Has he done anything since This Life?. I vaguely remember seeing him in a movie or two.

He played the lead role in another British series called Teachers a few years back, which was quite popular in the UK (dunno if it ever made it overseas), and he's had a few film roles (the biggest one would probably be Richard Curtis' Love, Actually). Beyond that...what Abhi said about Brit actors in the US, essentially. Most of the really big US shows over the last decade have had casts packed full of British actors, usually (although by no means always) doing such good American accents that you don't even notice they're there - House, The Wire, True Blood, Deadwood, Rome, Battlestar Galactica...

Rick-Horse-Zombies-760.jpg

Merle-T-Dog-760.jpg

This must be one of the new scenes they are writing just for the TV show that wasn't in the comic.

I hear Rooker and Reedus's parts are not in the book. This may just well be the greatests TV show of all time. I just read that Tom Jayne is coming on board for season 2 or the later part of season 1.

Who is Tom Jayne cast as? I would have cast him is Rick had I been casting guy. But who could he play that's already written? I hope they don't create a character for him. I don't mind they do it a little bit, but if they go crazy with new stuff, it might turn into a Twilight Zone or something. They should keep it 70-30 old vs new, imho.

I'm not sure who he is playing just that he cashed in some chips with the director and requested to be in because he thinks it will be epic. I tried to find the article I read that from but for the life of me , can't remember wear I read that.

Possibly at this link?

I think this is a new trailer. The scenes from the first one at comicon seem longer with more dialogue. It could be my imagination. If so, skip to bicycle girl below. It's kind of trippy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-XbHRG2Vu4

Haven't watched any trailers for this, and haven't read the book, but that first trailer was excellent.

In all honesty, I have never anticipated any television event as much as I have anticipated this one. I really looked forward to this season of the Venture Bros, but when Walking Dead drops, I might flip out.

Who is Tom Jayne cast as? I would have cast him is Rick had I been casting guy. But who could he play that's already written? I hope they don't create a character for him. I don't mind they do it a little bit, but if they go crazy with new stuff, it might turn into a Twilight Zone or something. They should keep it 70-30 old vs new, imho.

I think they've said that beyond the pilot and the first few episodes they're going their own way, which is perfectly all right by me. The comic descended into repetitive, directionless, bleak shit as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway. Here's an intro sequence created by a fan of the comic:

I don't mind it, I guess, as long as they do a good job. It just seems like whenever anyone wants to "change a comic for movies or tv" it's usually for the worst.

So, not to get everybody's hopes up or anything, but I just found a pre-release copy of the first episode of The Walking Dead out there in internetland. Fairly low-res - although perfectly watchable on a laptop monitor - but it seemed complete and finished to me. And it's...really, really good.

NON-SPECIFIC SUMMARY FOLLOWS - NO PLOT SPOILERS.

I don't want to spoil anything, but it's not much of a giveaway to suggest that it follows the events of the first couple of issues fairly faithfully. It's far from a carbon copy, but the overall shape of the narrative is pretty similar - quite a few sequences substantially expanded-upon, though, and a good few reveals, character moments and settings are changed quite a bit. It all works well, though, both as an adaptation and as a pilot in its own right.

In some ways it's a pretty bold pilot episode - there's very little dialogue, outside of a couple of key scenes, and the pacing is suitably deliberate. Not uncomfortably-slow, but it takes a lot more time to set up the world than the comic did, which allows them space to really rack up the tension. It's not jump-out-of-your-seat scary, but does a fine job of replicating the creeping sense of numb horror which the book was trying to evoke. While things are kept fairly low-key most of the way through, there's a big sequence near the end with a spectacular money shot, which is all the more effective because we've been made to wait for it.

Of course, now I've got to wait even longer before the second episode airs (although I'll be watching this again when the proper, hi-res broadcast version shows up). But thus far...a job very well done.

I'd imagine it'd have looked pretty crap on a big TV screen, but on a laptop, it didn't look any worse than an old television picture to me. Back before I left home, in the pre-digital broadcast days, pretty much everything we watched on BBC2 used to look far worse than this did. But I'm the last person who anyone should be asking about picture quality, because short of visible pixelation and/or image distortion, it just doesn't really register for me - I appreciate HD for sports broadcasts and that's about it.

I'd imagine it'd have looked pretty crap on a big TV screen, but on a laptop, it didn't look any worse than an old television picture to me. Back before I left home, in the pre-digital broadcast days, pretty much everything we watched on BBC2 used to look far worse than this did. But I'm the last person who anyone should be asking about picture quality, because short of visible pixelation and/or image distortion, it just doesn't really register for me - I appreciate HD for sports broadcasts and that's about it.

Yeah, I'm a big A/V nerd. I never watch any TV/movies on subpar quality. I used to make exceptions for TV but these days, television has started incorporating cinema-quality cinematography/direction/FX so I figure I should watch that stuff the way it was meant to be seen. I generally hook up my laptop to a large HDTV via an HDMI cable to watch everything I download. It looks almost as good as the standard digital cable picture with the regular sized rips. When it's content that I know is visually spectacular (like The Walking Dead), I occasionally spend the time/bandwidth on the larger 720p rips. Those look absolutely amazing on the big screen. Just makes it more fun.

I generally hook up my laptop to a large HDTV via an HDMI cable to watch everything I download. It looks almost as good as the standard digital cable picture with the regular sized rips.

Heh - I do the same, generally (although I tend to just stream via the Xbox, for simplicity's sake, and if I'm lazing on the sofa, I'll often end up just watching stuff on the laptop anyway). I've watched a few 720p rips, and while the higher-resolution is definitely noticeable, it simply doesn't make enough of a difference to the overall viewing experience for me to consider it worth bothering with - if I'm not sufficiently-absorbed in the show to have stopped consciously noticing the picture quality after a few minutes, then it's probably not something I'm going to keep watching anyway.

But then, I don't care about the difference between a high-bitrate .mp3 and an uncompressed .wav, either - I guess that, as long as the quality exceeds a certain minimum level, A/V perfection is just one of those things which simply doesn't ring my bell. It's not like I'm short of other stuff to get obsessively hung-up on, after all...

The one I found was pretty decent quality. I think someone must have gone back and done something to make it better (but I hate to speculate what and how). Am about to check it out. Pretty stoked because I was going to have to DVR the premiere Halloween night as I suddenly have plans I didn't expect. So, happy bonus time for ME!

The one I found was pretty decent quality. I think someone must have gone back and done something to make it better (but I hate to speculate what and how). Am about to check it out. Pretty stoked because I was going to have to DVR the premiere Halloween night as I suddenly have plans I didn't expect. So, happy bonus time for ME!

I'm not sure whether DVR'ing counts ratings-wise but you should do that anyway. A lot hinges on the show's ratings for the first two episodes. Wouldn't want this being cancelled. It seems unlikely since everyone and their mom seems to love zombies these days but still.