A. Heathen

Walking Dead

Haha! My wife was doing the same thing! For her it's not just the gross stuff, like hacking up a zombie and wearing it's innards for scenty stealth. But also the tense situations like the horse and the tank and all that.

The tank scene is interesting because it is in the streets when Glen and Rick go back to Atlanta with zombie guts all over them, but it never gets used as a part of the story. Just exists in the background as scenery with a crow on it.

Mark, I'm also giving them the benefit of the doubt on casting. Andrea was cast with an actress who is too old IMO, but I will let it go because I'm loving the shit out of this show.

And, though they are going out of order, after episode 2, I put them at the end of issue 5 (counting the spreading zombie guts and meat on themselves), but without Rick & Glen reaching the camp, which happens in issue 3, then technically they are still in issue 3. I don't mind them jumping around, really, it's just an interesting way to tell a story that has been told before in a different media. It's similar to the way they did Lord of the Rings, with Old Man Willow being added to the Two Towers even though it appeared with Thom Bombadil at the beginning of Fellowship. I can see myslef becoming annoyed when I don't think it works, but so far, it works for me, anyway.

Frank Derabond strikes again. I love this show. It is definitely worming it's way into my little black heart, and I can't miss an episode. Simply awesome. Oh and James, yes it would be nice to see a racist who isn't a stereotypical redneck, and it would also be nice to see the opposite. I mean doesn't Michael Richards need work?

The point to that is how Hollywood makes certain characters cliche for ease of storytelling, especially minor supporting characters. Cliche characters are more readily identified with by fans in a love/hate type relationship, and they save complicated characteristics for the main characters. It's formula, and even the best use it.

Look how many zombies dress the same: black t-shirt & shorts. Also, look, a clown zombie!

zombieso.jpg

Hell of a third episode! Characters and story being taken in a lot of interesting directions. Really pleased they've ordered a second season.

Cracking stuff third time out, only grumble might be with racist redneck getting all surgical on himself but then he was off his tits on drugs, dehydrated and facing the prospect of some starved zombies making it out onto his roof so I'll let that slide.

It's a real pleasure watching Rick and Glenn be Rick and Glenn every week, I knew Glenn would get dragged into the return trip to Atlanta - poor bastard.

Oh and I kind of like the good old boys, their racist streak aside anyway.

Good News

'Walking Dead' Rises for Third Episode

This show is so damn good, and such a resounding hit: After dipping very modestly for its second episode, AMC's The Walking Dead rose in the ratings Sunday night.

The Walking Dead went up to 5.1 million viewers, 3.3 million adults 18-49.

That's right between where it premiered wtih 5.3 million and its second episode of 4.7 million.

In case you were wondering, 2.1 million of those in the adult demo were male, which is a pretty strong tilt. AMC has already renewed the show for a second season.

Bad News

Long Wait Likely for 'Walking Dead' Season Two

Exclu: Most Walking Dead fans know there's only six episodes in this first season. I know, the season is half finished even though it feels like it's just getting started.

But here's what you didn't know, or perhaps only feared: Sources say AMC isn't likely to launch the 13-episode second season until next October.

The reason? Fearfest. AMC's annual horror movie marathon served as a perfect promotional platform to ramp up interest for The Walking Dead, which also took advantage of the higher audience levels during the fall (something not all cable shows can pull off given the barrage of broadcast shows airing at the same time -- which is why most cable dramas run during the summer).

Plus, AMC has already pushed Breaking Bad from March to the summer, and has Mad Men airing in the summer as usual, and at some point has to squeeze in the premiere of its new original series, The Killing. Combined with Walking Dead, that's four shows to air next year, the most the network has ever had, and cable networks tend to spread out their premieres so they can properly promote each one.

Now, the October plan is not final, and there probably won't be a firm premiere date for awhile -- heck, the second season hasn't even started production yet. But the current strategy is for another October roll out.

Some silver lining: Frank Darabont is expected to write and direct another episode next year.

6 episodes!? that's all? and we have to wait until next october for season 2? fuck.

i wish they had used the same characters from the book. it's a small disappointment but one i don't understand. no allen & donna or the twins? replaced by rednecks and a big departure from the book? it sounds like i'm bitching but i'm not. i really love this show and i'm glad it's doing so well. now they are to issue 5, more or less.

Not that I'm fond of the 2D redneck character but I'm quite happy they're deviating from the comic and I hope they do that plenty. It mixes things up for those viewers who have read the comics and it gives them the opportunity to learn from the mistakes that Kirkman made (of which there are a few). If they'd stuck slavishly to the comic then this show would be a lot less interesting to me.

no, I agree with that. I'm talking about the characters. They can do what they want with them, I just wish they were the same is all.

I had a couple of minor issues with this episode, but on the whole it was a significant step up from last week's (which wasn't terrible, just not quite as good as the pilot).

My hope is that, since they've established a completely new-to-the-show madman with a powerful grudge against Our Heroes and a newly-severed hand*, there's now no danger that they're going to try and introduce the fucking Governor anywhere down the line. However unsatisfyingly one-dimensional Redneck Man and his Redneck Brethren may be, they're at least preferable to that ghastly alternative.

Other than that, I haven't really got a lot to say. Very promising show with a strong cast of actors and characters, capturing the spirit of the source material while resolutely telling its own story. I was hoping for something decent, but so far, it's a lot better than I was expecting.

*By the way, even though they at least established that the guy had gone nuts (in an impressively-short amount of time, too), I suspect that particular contrivance might have worked better if they'd had him handcuffed to something which would have been harder to saw through than a wrist. Just sayin'.

Just caught up on the first 3 episodes (despite my complaining in the "dislike" thread) and have to say it was absolutely brilliant.

I'd agree with all the reasons given by others on why it's so good. The way they've expanded short scenes into rather complex and more emotional scenes is terrific. Even in episode 1, when Rick gets back to his house and sees the photos etc taken, it's resonates so much more than the book. The different rection from Morgan when they find Rick was well done, and it was great to see Lennie James crop up, the man's a brilliant actor. The scene where he shoots the walkers from the bedroom window to draw out his wife, but can't then do the deed was tear-jerking.

The new characters are fin too. Don't mind the redneck bros, and I'd echo what Mark said about their possible role as antagonists for Rick's group in place of the Governor and his township. I'd also second his comments on why Merle chose to saw through his wrist instead of the rusty old bit of metal he was handcuffed to, but it's a very minor quibble. On that note, where the fuck did he go anyway?

Anyhow, the programme hits all the right emotional notes, and I admire Darabont's brave pacing. It works, and I love it; it's just suprising in a TV series of this nature. I was hoping that the season would end on finding the prison, but given that it's only 6 episodes, it'll probably end where the first trade ends. And I'm sure Darabont won't shirk having Carl shoot Shane, especially given the downbeat and bittersweet endings of his previous works (Shawshank Redemption excluded).

Okay, the good in this episode:

Someone commenting on the ridiculous nature of Merle's name. The beautiful opening scene that makes the ending so heartbreaking. The hole digging.

The Bad, the ham-handed way the Chicano "Gang" was handled. I know tensions run high in times of crisis but come on.

You forgot to mention the best bit - ZOMBIE CARNAGE!

I only had two minor gripes myself, one being that Amy's death couldn't have been any more telegraphed and the closing lines about beardy's dream felt like they'd been copied and pasted from Lost or something, was totally out of place in this programme.

I really liked the reveal behind the gang, part of that may be that it felt like a strong bit of world-building to me - you know we'll see them again in season three or something!

Rick and his posse bursting into the camp at the end though, guns a blazing - that's cracking tv right there.

Aye, that was another cracking episode, I thought - a few minor gripes, but otherwise very good stuff. On top of the things you mentioned, I thought the hospital gang's situation was a bit poorly-explained - if it's in the middle of the city, why isn't the whole place surrounded by zombies? - and Rick & co running all the way back to camp, rather than nicking another car was just dumb. But other than that, I liked it a lot, particularly the sudden-ness of the zombie attack at the end.

Definitely a lot of fun. I did think the opening sequence in the boat was some awful writing though. Extreme telegraphing, as John says, and just plain forced and ham-fisted. The actresses did their best to make it work but it didn't quite get there. It's a minor complaint - all said and done, this has been quite entertaining so far.

Yeah - it's by no means a perfect show (some of the characterisation is a bit one-note, and the dialogue is occasionally clunky, although nowhere near as clunky as the dialogue in the original comic), but the intensity of some of the criticisms being levelled at it from certain quarters of the Internerd are fairly ridiculous.

I'd place it roughly on a par with the first season of True Blood so far - far from high art, and not quite as profound as it seems to think it is, but perfectly solid entertainment nonetheless, with moments of brilliance. Now that the groundwork has been laid, hopefully it'll undergo a similar improvement with the second season.

Out of curiosity, what have the internerds been complaining about? I was under the impression that the show's been pretty well received overall.

An OK episode, probably my least favorite to date. Felt really forced and the Vatos were kinda lame. But at the end there was much zombie shooting and desecrating of human flesh so it was still pretty good.

Out of curiosity, what have the internerds been complaining about?

Most of the things we've been grumbling a little about but to a much louder extent!

They've all read the Zombie Survival Guide and are keen to let anyone in earshot know that they'd kill the wife beater out of hand and then invent the Lobo so they could put down any wandering dead folk.

To be fair their complaints tend to be valid, just maybe over-stated, as is the way of us nerds - everything's either aces or total and utter dogshit.

To be fair their complaints tend to be valid, just maybe over-stated, as is the way of us nerds - everything's either aces or total and utter dogshit.

Aye, that's why I mentioned the intensity - the substance of most of the criticisms (one-dimensional characters, occasionally heavy-handed dialogue, characters who seem a little too eager to grasp the Idiot Stick when the plot requires it...) is completely valid, but there's plenty of good stuff too, and it's not like any of the problems which people are identifying aren't present in the source material (and in other, better-regarded shows) anyway.

It's not that the show's anything close to perfect (after a stellar pilot it seems to have settled into good-but-not-quite-great, for me), but if you believed half the posters in that TV forum thread across the way, you'd expect it to be barely-watchable dreck, rather than a decent-but-flawed bit of melodrama.