Lou K

Disney to Acquire Marvel

From Comcast.net news. Sorry to print the whole thing but I think you have to be able to log in to Comcast to read it.

The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is buying Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing such characters as Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superhero fare in recent years. That contrasts with Disney's recent successes among young women with such fare as "Hannah Montana" and the Jonas Brothers.

"It helps Disney add exposure to a young male demographic it had sort of lost some balance with," Joyce said, noting the $4 billion offer was at "full price."

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday's closing stock prices.

Marvel shares jumped $10.17, or 26 percent, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $26.37.

Disney said the boards of both companies have approved the transaction, but it will require an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Disney last made a big purchase in 2006 when it acquired Pixar Animation Studios Inc., the creator of the "Toy Story" franchise, for $7.4 billion in stock.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said the latest acquisition combines Marvel's "strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters" with Disney's "unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties" and ability to maximize value across multiple platforms and territories.

Marvel earned a net profit of $206 million last fiscal year, up 47 percent from a year earlier, on revenue of $676 million, as it took movie production in house instead of just cutting licensing deals.

The Punisher vs Scrooge McDuck will be appaearing any month now, then...

Hmm Mickey Eye Strikes back.

I wonder how or if this will effect Marvel itself.

Are Disney happy to publish Punisher MAX for instance?

And I really don't need Marvel films to be Disneyfied.

Hmm Mickey Eye Strikes back.

I wonder how or if this will effect Marvel itself.

Are Disney happy to publish Punisher MAX for instance?

And I really don't need Marvel films to be Disneyfied.

I don't know about that: the spectacle of Frank Castle (in drag as Cinderella's fairy godmother) taking out the ugly sisters with a claymore mine could be entertaining.

Im also looking forward the long awaited cross-over between Iron Man and Gizmo-Duck.

Maybe Darkwing Duck will join the New Avengers?

On a less hilarious note: does anybody have any notes on film or publishing companies being Disneyfied? There's a lot of film companies who have dealt with the fringes of Disney very comfortably.

Fair play to Joe Quesada and the rest of the crew over there, in particular the movie people, who really turned Marvel's fortunes around.

Now that they've got their own sugar daddy, they might be able to expand into a proper mature reader's line - one that reaches beyond cursing superheroes, which'd be nice.

(Yes, yes, I know - Criminal - but that didn't grab me at all, so hush).

Oh wow!

While I want to be horrified, I can't say it's that big a deal, other than from the standpoint of monopolies, but face it, Marvel and DC already have monopolies to start with.

The Disney owned record company did release Danzig, and I believe Insane Clown Posse. So, I don't think it necessarily means that things like the MAX line will be cleansed.

And, while I don't want to ever stand up for Disney*, they do have a gay pride parade at the park once a year, and Disney owned ABC broadcasting was given an award by a gay rights organization as the most improved non-cable television network in its portrayal of gay characters.

*It doesn't really matter since Marvel is already a mega-corporation more interested in licensing outside of comics than any sort of actual creative vision.

After all, Marvel was the one who censored the original Wolverine: The End concept, which was that Logan had become a cannibal. Now, while I'd like to say that someone just realized the idea was crap (you realize that's not the case because of the actual Wolverine: The End mini-series that saw print), they censored it because they want Wolverine to be a product that McDonald's would feel comfortable putting a likeness of on Happy Meals. I kid you not.

Thanks for the story, Lou.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superhero fare in recent years. ...

Uh... how does that work?

Thanks for the story, Lou.

Analyst David Joyce of Miller Tabak & Co. said the acquisition will help Disney appeal to young men who have flocked to theaters to see Marvel's superhero fare in recent years. ...

Uh... how does that work?

Brainwashing.

Or, special analysts will advise Disney on putting Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck into tight spandex and having them punch evil people in the face.

Miramax

WHo also put out Kill Bill. Somehow I don't think Marvel's gonna get all soft(er) on us. At least I hope not.

At least Donald will finally get pants.

Exactly! Nudity, homosexuals, violence, Satanism...

These are the things that Disney brings to the table.

We should welcome our new masters, not fear their child-friendly reinterpretations (for the sake of strict copyright laws) of classic myths....

Gee, I guess I see why the Christian Right hates Disney so badly now. They miss the good old days when Jewish people were banned!

I also wonder if the licence to print Disney comics will be taken away from whatever enthusiastic fan publisher has it now (Gemstone, last I checked) and given to Marvel. Last time Disney tried to "do Disney comics properly" like that, their soulless tacky pamphlets were inferior to what Gladstone Comics had been doing perfectly well; hopefully that lesson won't be wasted.

EDIT: I realise that's of no interest to anyone but me. But if someone could just humour me by nodding and making affirmative noises, that'd be solid.

Edited by JasonT

Check out the Comics Shipping This Week thread. I already got ya covered.

Yep, Marvel's best (but not top selling) books will soon be cancelled to make way for all the Disney titles!

If a comic comes out of Marvel that doesn't have an X, a spider, or an Avengers logo in the title, and isn't a Disney property, it'll be a cold day in hell.

:wink:

Miramax

WHo also put out Kill Bill. Somehow I don't think Marvel's gonna get all soft(er) on us. At least I hope not.

I'm not sure, but wasn't Pulp Fiction the first film that Miramax released after Disney bought them out?

I also wonder if the licence to print Disney comics will be taken away from whatever enthusiastic fan publisher has it now (Gemstone, last I checked) and given to Marvel. Last time Disney tried to "do Disney comics properly" like that, their soulless tacky pamphlets were inferior to what Gladstone Comics had been doing perfectly well; hopefully that lesson won't be wasted.

EDIT: I realise that's of no interest to anyone but me. But if someone could just humour me by nodding and making affirmative noises, that'd be solid.

I'd hope that they'd have more sense than to try that. I don't get the impression that the reason they bought out Marvel is because they want Mark Millar and Brian Michael Bendis scripting funny animal comics, at least.

I do wonder if this means that Marvel will be able to revert to the original design of Howard the Duck, now. Far too late now that Steve Gerber's dead, of course...

And soon, megacorps will own everything.

Since Christian hasn't responded yet, I'll have to say this for him: they already do, slinker. they already do.

:laugh:

My propaganda is paying off!

I'd hope that they'd have more sense than to try that. I don't get the impression that the reason they bought out Marvel is because they want Mark Millar and Brian Michael Bendis scripting funny animal comics, at least.

Sonic the Hedgehog isn't Disney, is it?

That was the master plan, Dog. If Hitler hadn't crossed the wrong people in Germany and been deposed by the New World Order coup, it's what we'd all be doing today.

Why else do you think Walt funneled all that money to Nazi Germany?

Well, that, and to get rid of all the Jews...