JohnMcMahon

Variant Covers

Trying to read through Paul O'Brien's look at Marvel's ICV2 numbers for August and Jaysus but that whole variant cover thing is running out of control again!

There are four covers on this issue, including three 1:25 variants

There are three covers on this issue, including 1:15 and 1:25 variants

Admittedly, this month both titles have two incentive variants - a 1:10 “70th frame” cover, and a 1:20 Simone Bianchi variant

An array of five variant covers also plays a part; among others, there’s a 1:25 Gerald Parel variant and a 1:70 Steve McNiven variant here.

That said, this book has three variant covers, including 1:15 and 1:25 incentives

Specifically, both issues have 1:10 and 1:20 variants. But issue #14 also has an Ed McGuinness Deadpool cover pitched at a staggering 1:200

The first of the two relaunched Ultimate books, now with added word. Actually, the cover logo just says ULTIMATE AVENGERS, so something tells me the full title is going to be quietly dropped after a discreet interval. There are three covers on this issue, including 1:15 and 1:25 variants. One of them even came with HoloFoil, something we haven’t seen in quite a few years.

:ohmy:

I dunno... I get a different feeling from the 2009 variant covers thingy. They don't seem to be doing it to encourage dorks to buy each variant. It's more about giving options that might excite the fanbase. But I can't back that up with statistics. What do you guys think?

They make that claim...but these buy 100 copies of X-Men: Legacy #300 and get the ultra-rare "naked Emma Frost" variant(!) are just ways to get people to buy more.

It's just really the height of cynicism to start releasing foil chrome covers again under the pretense of "nostalgia". Who the hell is actually nostalgic about the early-90s?

Plus, what would be the cost on those books? A regular Marvel comic already costs fucking $3.99.

There might be a point with these random variant covers of every comic. Just about every damn comic comes with a variant now, and I can't even figure out that there's a difference in covers.

This one has Thor posing seductively with a hammer, and this one has Thor posing demurely with a hammer?

As far as buying one to try to make a profit on it, that doesn't seem to be the intent.

But, since comic companies know comic fans (we buy anything because we have OCD issues), I can't see many hardcore comic fans being able to decide between two similar covers.

I dunno... I get a different feeling from the 2009 variant covers thingy. They don't seem to be doing it to encourage dorks to buy each variant. It's more about giving options that might excite the fanbase. But I can't back that up with statistics. What do you guys think?

I am a bit of a geek and really do enjoy the option of buying a wrap around variant cover, or a different artist's cover or something like that. Avatar Press does this a lot. If any of these covers were hard to find or expensive I think i would give up on it but I do enjoy the option to choose which cover I like.