Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

Whose Batman?

2709_400x600.jpg

Name the artists !

For ease of discussion, number from #1 top left across each row in turn to #20 bottom right.

NO CHEATING !

#1 dick sprang

#2 klaus janson

#3 frank miller

#6 Tony Salmon (sp?)

#7 Alex Ross

#8 Scott McDaniel

#10 neal adams

#11 brian bolland

#12 bob kane

#13 tim sale

#17 paul pope

#18 jim lee

#20 bruce timm

and Matt Paul Dini is a writer not an artist, but you are close.

1 Bob Kane

2 Klaus Janson

3 Frank Miller

6 Kyle baker

7 Alex Ross

8 Neal Adams

9 Scott Mcdaniel

10 Brian Bolland

11 Bob Kane

12 Dave Gibbons

13 Adam Kubert

14 Jerry Robinson

15 Dave Johnson

16 Curt swan

17 Paul Pope

18 Jim Lee

19 Curt Swan

20 Bruce Timm

It looks to be the cover of an early Detective Comics issue.

The one with Batman looking down on the old castle.

http://tvak123.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/detective-comics-31-batman-versus-the-vampire-part-1/

?

But, that would still be Bob Kane as cover artist, wouldn't it?

I think there was a 1970s cover with a similar look....during the O'Neil run?

There's some good Batman covers out there.

I was thinking that #4 was Mazzuchelli or someone after him.

Here's a couple not on that cover as far as I can see

breyfogle.jpg

Norm Breyfogle

BMGAM-Cv7.jpg

Kelley Jones

#4 is Neal Adams, I'm 99% certain - that would make him the only artist represented twice, so far as I can tell. It's from his homage to that early "Batman versus the vampire" cover, done in the early '70s (Matt Wagner did a version of the same cover image for one of his Batman Versus The Supernatural miniseries a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure that's not Wagner's work).

Don't have time to search for images, but I'd second Ade's suggestion that Jones and Breyfogle are notable absences (particularly the latter, for me, but that's because I think the Grant/Wagner/Breyfogle run on Detective Comics is one of the best Batman runs ever - I'd be tempted to place it second only to O'Neill/Adams - and I've raved about it here plenty of times before). More prominent names to include would be Jim Aparo, David Mazzuchelli, and Marshall Robinson, all of whom are closely-associated with fairly iconic versions of the character.

By the by, while it's got his name on it, I have a very hard time believing that original cover is the work of Bob Kane. It's far too good.

A terrible effort from me.

2 Jim Aparo

3 Frank Miller

7 Alex Ross

10 Brian Bolland

11 Bob Kane

13. Klaus Jansen

17 Paul Pope

18 Jim Lee

By the by, while it's got his name on it, I have a very hard time believing that original cover is the work of Bob Kane. It's far too good.

:hattip:

Harsh, but fair.

Did you ever hear that story of Alfred Bester's about how most of Bob Kane's peers held him utter contempt as a writer and artist?

It makes me slightly angry every time I see that contractually obligated "Batman created by Bob Kane" credit on comics, films etc. The guy was a charlatan who just happened to be in the right place, at the right time, and - most importantly - surrounded by the right people. Clever bastard when it came to contracts, though - if it weren't so utterly despicable I could almost admire the consumnate skill with which he fucked Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson out of the credit, and money, to which they were so obviously entitled.

Oh, don't even get me started on that. The extent to which far more talented creators got screwed over just makes it even worse, doesn't it?

Bester really gives him a kicking in an essay about the comics industry (I think it's one of the non fiction pieces in Redemolished). Of course, bester wrote a lot of golden age and early '50s comic scripts himself, so he knew his stuff. He's often credited with coming up with that Green Lantern oath, isn't he?

Yes, that's the story, Dog.

It was given official status in an early-80s issue of the Green Lantern comic, after Bester died.

There was an eulogy for Bester at the back of the issue where the editor said why Bester was so important to Green Lantern lore.

I have the issue, it was during the Steven Engelhart run.

I never realized that. I always thought that Bill Finger was credited alongside of Kane. Well, that's sad.

Not unexpected though, as Dog points out.

Yeah - in recent years, a few people have found ways of giving some acknowledgement of the fact that Bill Finger pretty clearly created Batman in just about every way that matters (with Jerry Robinson filling in a few more of the key details a little while later) - he's mentioned in some capacity the credits of both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I believe. But the "Batman created by Bob Kane" tagline is something which Kane himself specifically negotiated as part of his original contract with DC, and they're legally obligated to use it unaltered, even though it's well-known to all involved that it's not actually true.

Is Englehart's run on Green Lantern worth a look, or was that after he lost it? Sounds like that was the same sort of time as his Silver Surfer stuff, which is great.

I was very surprised to find out that out about Bester, as I'd always thought the oath was a Hal Jordan thing, and he would have been writing Alan Scott. I'm a bit surprised he doesn't get credited with inventing anything in Superman or Starman, as those were the other two he did a lot of work on for DC.

Yeah, the Englehart Green Lantern is really good.

I'm not a huge Green Lantern fan...I like the early Hal Jordan Silver Age stuff (Broome mostly) and of course the Denny O'Neil run, and the Englehart run falls into the catergory of Green Lantern that I like.

It is very much akin to his Silver Surfer run. There's a few dips in the middle, but overall, just a lot of cosmic fun.

It features Mad God the Living Universe too.