Sign in to follow this  
Maritimus

Hellblazer 262

10 members have voted

1. 1. How was it for you? Notes from 1 to 10

Something wicked haunts the slums of Mumbai. But that's not Constantine; he's in India to seek the purity of spirit that might re-unite him with the girl he blames himself for killing only to find his life in the hands of a girl he almost killed.

Written by Peter Milligan

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Stefano Landini

Cover by Simon Bisley

Another solid issue with good dialogue and a few funny jokes, pleasant read all round, though the India storyline is not my cup of coffee so far, at least compared to previous ones. Can't put my finger on why exactly, i feel that the arc will probably work better in a trade, this issue ended rather abruptly. Also, the big blue demon reminds me of a cookie monster and thus isn't very threatening so far. But Milligan knows how to surprise a reader, so we will see. Camuncoli and Landini deliver strong artwork as usual, not too crazy about the Bisley cover this time. 7.

OK, so everyone knows that John doesn't get to see Phoebe this easily, so who is the "young lady" John is going to be reunited with from the end of this issue? Take your bets now!

Lots of good moments in this issue. Good John Constantine bits. Snappy dialogue. Milligan's trademark sarcastic humour aplenty. The story hasn't progressed very far, but the road getting there is worth taking. So, I'll give this an 8.

As far as the demon looking like a big cookie monster, well, the design is pretty factual (as far as these things go anyway).

But, maybe you just mean the art-style makes it look cartoonish.

it's a 9 for me.

colourful and funny.gettin to enjoy camuncoli as well.

what strikes me about this storyline especially,but really it applies to milligan's run so far,is that it feels like it's got more life to it than most hellblazer stories.there's still loads of death in the story,but it's about life.constantine gives a shit.

now as much as i love a good gloomy mope,i prefer the sizzle to this.the lightness make the dark stuff really hit home when it strikes.

and although constantine does seem a bit younger lately,i prefer it.

i don't really wanna be readin about a nearly 60 year old constantine,outside of delano specials.

i say they start ageing him like other comic folks,like 5 of our years is 1 for him.

As far as the demon looking like a big cookie monster, well, the design is pretty factual (as far as these things go anyway).

But, maybe you just mean the art-style makes it look cartoonish.

Yeah, i was looking at one of the panels and thought of the cookie monster for some reason. It is really hard to pull off drawing demons etc. without making them look ridiculous. Manco was good at that, and Camuncoli's art is cartoonish and expressive, but not really dark. When you draw something scary in that way, it becomes a bit goofy. I remember Neil Gaiman saying something similar about bringing Lovecraft into comic books - if you actually draw those cone-like ancient gods, they stop being scary, because the fear is psychological rather than visual. Mignola is really good at that kind of art, but can't really think of others right now.

That's very true.

I picked up the Richard Corben H.P. Lovecraft series that MAX released, but it didn't do much for me.

I was especially disappointed in the Dagon story. Seeing Dagon drawn on the page really just ruins that story completely.

29bkh8j.jpg

I enjoyed this issue. The sequence that ended with "the flame of Oscar Wilde burns bright!" particularly pleased me.

Oh well, I liked the art quite a bit, lovely colours. Some of the portraits were almost works of art. And some humourous scenes too.

Story was chockablock full of cliche though.

Good story, although i'm beginning to wonder what the point of all this is. I mean, folks have castigated Milligan for the whole John-Phoebe relationship for jump starting all of this, but i can't help but think that its just kind of John's excuse to go off and do something.....eminently stupid. Well, that and see a bit of India.

Epiphany had his motives to a T, and heck so did Clarice back in Warren Ellis' Haunted.

7 for me. I'm enjoying it. If the ending holds up, the whole thing might retroactively read like an 8 or maybe even 9. The main weak link is JCs motivation, which seems implausible, really. Why would he think that he can attain some kind of "purity"? It doesn't make sense!

Oh, and the girl he meets is obviously [ Spoiler : Epiphany, methinks. ]