A. Heathen

Constantine 2

Yeah, even depressed angsty action included.

Did John really say "STICH THAT" in Dangerous Habits?

I might need to re-read some Ennis issues. That's just...bad dialogue. I didn't remember Ennis' writing making me cringe, but I was young too.

Guy Pearce is the best of these choices. The guy's a cracking actor.

Though I'm no expert, I'm going to agree with Abhimanyu and Red, of course.

Despite the end result, it was pretty exciting watching Hellblazer make its way to the big-screen, one or two posters (ok, probably just Balthazar) wouldn't be here if it weren't for the flick

Add me to that list. The movie got me reading the book again, and got my butt in a theatre seat for a rare occasion.

Somehow, even though I technically didn't start reading Hellblazer until after the movie came out, I had no idea the movie was based on the comic until I read something online. I think I started reading Hellblazer in 2006. I bought all the graphic novels, each one as I finished the previous one, and read them more or less in order (starting with "Habits" but then to Ennis' run). That's why it's weird to be reading the newly traded Delano issues after reading all the others that came later before reading his run. But anyway, I learned that themovie was based on the comic but starred Reeves and it didn't make sense. I guess that's what caused me to not pay attention to it when I started reading the comic. I remember when the movie came out, since it was before I read the comic it didn't register. Only afterward when I found out while reading the comic did I become totally offended at its existence. It went from "who cares?" to "what the fuck?"

On the synchronicity front, I was looking for some old paperwork last night and set-off one of those promotional beetle-in-a-box screechy things.

Synchronicity eh? Do you by any chance have a dead twin?

I was looking for some old paperwork last night and set-off one of those promotional beetle-in-a-box screechy things.

Damn. I missed the McDonalds' Hellblazer Happy Meal toy.

Yeah, even depressed angsty action included.

Did John really say "STICH THAT" in Dangerous Habits?

I might need to re-read some Ennis issues. That's just...bad dialogue. I didn't remember Ennis' writing making me cringe, but I was young too.

Zed said the same thing in #4

Instead of Kanoe, they should get this Hiddleston guy.

carterd.jpg

Nope.

Hmmm, I thought he looked like a young John, but you'd rather have the yank hack as Constantine? I'd really rather see anyone--Natalie Portman, even--ANYONE over Kanoe. He's just such a bad actor.

Hmmm, I thought he looked like a young John, but you'd rather have the yank hack as Constantine?

If those are the choices, then yes. I don't think he looks anything like JC.

I'd really rather see anyone--Natalie Portman, even--ANYONE over Kanoe. He's just such a bad actor.

Well, as they say, opinions are like assholes. They shit in the woods. Or...something.

I think he resembles Constantine the way he was drawn around the Newcastle issue and Fear Machine.

newcastle3.gif

hb116.jpg

hb124x.jpg

Far too goofy-looking. Rubbish pointy little chin and weird boggle-eyes. Next!

Also - and I realise this isn't likely to be an overwhelmingly popular stance, but it's not as unusual around here as certain Hollywood producers might like to pretend - on my list of Requirements For A Good Screen Constantine, being both blond and English would be somewhere down towards the bottom. Britishness would be nice, but hair colour is 100% irrelevant.

Seconded.

I think Englishness is highly desirable, and blondness nice but inconsequential.

Funny, I recall expressing a similar position when I first got around here only to be set straight by you.

Well, as they say, opinions are like assholes. They shit in the woods. Or...something.

I think the expression goes

"the Pope has an infallible one"

:)

Far too goofy-looking. Rubbish pointy little chin and weird boggle-eyes. Next!

Also - and I realise this isn't likely to be an overwhelmingly popular stance, but it's not as unusual around here as certain Hollywood producers might like to pretend - on my list of Requirements For A Good Screen Constantine, being both blond and English would be somewhere down towards the bottom. Britishness would be nice, but hair colour is 100% irrelevant.

OK, but being a decent actor should count for more than it does. It should rival whether or not every man and woman want to fuck him or thought he was great as Ted Theodore Logan. And we've debated this before, so there's no need to do it again. Some of you happen to think he's a good actor--I don't understand it, I don't agree with it, but I accept that you feel that way, in order to avoid the usual downward spiral discussions like whether a douche can act or not become.

oh, I think Hiddlestone could work (to be fair, that was a poor pic of him), but he's already playing Loki in Thor and I can't see him playing any other comic book characters. Anyway, I'd favour someone like Paul Bettany over him any day. Anybody seen Gangster No.1? Bettany pretty much is a (evil/psychotic) manipulative bastard like JC in that one. I recommend it, it's pretty awesome.

69199536_ph2_w434_h_q80.jpg

OK, but being a decent actor should count for more than it does.

It counts for a huge amount, obviously. Just about everything, in fact. But none of your posts about Hiddleston make any mention of his acting abilities - the only reasons you've given for thinking he'd make a good Constantine is that you think he looks just like one artist's version of the comic-book character, and that he's not Keanu Reeves.

To me, that's not a credible argument, and that was all I was responding to - if you'd made any mention of the guy's previous acting work, or why you thought he might give a good performance in this role, I wouldn't have objected at all (because I have no idea what I'd think of him in the role, because I don't recall having seen him in anything. I'm perfectly willing to be persuaded, if you could point me to something he was particularly good in).

Funny, I recall expressing a similar position when I first got around here only to be set straight by you.

Heh - it's entirely possible, I suppose (my opinions tend towards the capricious, and are prone to reconsideration on a regular basis), but I have no such recollection. Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else?

Heh - it's entirely possible, I suppose (my opinions tend towards the capricious, and are prone to reconsideration on a regular basis), but I have no such recollection. Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else?

I'm fairly certain you've never been one to insist on blonde hair or being English as prime requisites. You may be inconsistent, shifty, and generally untrustworthy, but when it comes to Un-stantine, I'm fairly sure your record is sterling. :hattip: