Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Books of African-Based Mythology

So I'm half-way through American Gods (FANTASTIC book by Neil Gaiman) and in it Thoth, Anubis, and Anasi has shown up in very interesting roles, very well written. I've recently gained a huge love and appreciation for the stories and folklores of Haitian mythology including the deities of the Loa. Are there any great comics out there with a focus or nod to any African based mythology in the overall story/plot?

I know of the recent Doctor Voodoo book, Voodoo Child by Mike Carey and Nicolas Cage which was released by Virgin, Hellblazer has some nods here and there with Vodou, and there was also Alan Moore's Voodoo: Dancing in the Dark. What other books have some of these, including the vast African-based mythology?

Yes, it's in book 7, The Troll Witch and Others, which is good becasue the Troll Witch is one of my all time favorite Hellboy stories evah.

I liked it quite a lot. In my cheap copy, the title was written in silver but it was erased by bad handling when I bought it in Standsted Airport, so I didn't know what the name of the book was until some time later. For me, I was reading a book called Neil Gaiman. Imagine my puzzlement in the first couple of chapters.

By the way, I don't like the fact that in Africa they know about Santa Claus but in Europe we haven't heard about African deities or traditions.

Or, the fact that many Africans have to visit Europe to see their ancestors' history in museums.

Fucking archaeologists of the Empire!

Balty, there's an informational comic book that was released in 2006 that is about African mythology.

Here's a link for you:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=13953201

A-ha! This should help you.

It's a detailed chronology of the history of all African gods in the Marvel Universe.

Note though, I think that in most instances the gods just show up representing a number of pantheons and don't really play much of any sort of individual role in the stories.

Still, if you wanted to be a completist.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/africg.htm