JohnMcMahon

Recommend one comic you're reading in 2010

At the moment I'm reading bugger all comic's wise.

Hellblazer's been good under Milligan but the current arc hasn't really held my interest at all. Blackest Night is dragging on a little but along with the two Green Lantern titles it still makes for a pretty good action romp (Two Ring Kyle is ace!). The Walking Dead is probably my only 'must read' in comic's land at the moment, so are you reading anything yourselves at the moment that you think is the business ?

First issue of Daytripper left me cold (though I loved the art), recently dipped back into DMZ and liked that the story seemed to have moved on considerably - tempted to maybe go back and fill in the gaps collection wise (think the last arc I read was the pretty poor 'OMG Blackwater's set us up the bomb!').

2000AD has been top-notch for the last year or so. Garth Ennis' Battlefields is good stuff, and a volume of Criminal is being serialised at the moment.

Crossed is very well done, if familiar.

Can't make up my mind on Crossed, release schedule certainly leaves a lot to be desired as I forgot I was actually reading it myself!

I see there's a new Chronicles Of Wormwood series starting, first one was really good (though the less said about the one-shot the better, really).

Part 1 of the new series was amiable enough, but it felt more like "Garth by numbers" than "Garth at the top of his game".

I'll vouch for Ciminal: The Sinners as well as the Battelfields title. War stories is what Garth does best.

Wasteland - Post apocalyptic story of society 100 years after the "big wet" (think flood). New religions, new creatures. There are even some people running arond that appear to be immortal and have powers. Very good stuff.

http://www.onipress.com/thebigwet/

I continue to enjoy The Walking Dead and consider it one of my alltime favorites.

Milligan has revived Hellblazer thankfully, answering my prayers that someone would come and resurrect this great comic franchise.

Scalped is another title that never seems to disappoint me, and I would actually place it right next to WD and HB in my top 3 favorite comics.

Demo - I really enjoyed the first run of Demo and look forward to this new one that started Wednesday last.

Titles I will read for a bit longer before deciding whether to ditch them or not:

The Boys - the art is inconsistent lately, and this might just be me, but whenever the other artist who did Herogasm draws Boys, Ennis gets more overtly sexual in his storytelling, which we already get enough weird comic perversions in that title as it is. But I'm just not that interested anymore.

Authority: Lost Year is a huge disappointment. The issue from last week makes the last one I'll purchase. They totally tanked the storyline and got a new artist more suited for humorous comics (like LOBO, Tank Girl, etc) than the story being told in Authority. I really like the artist's style, just not for Authority. This was a really bad choice for Authority's Lost Year, though, and coupled with the direction the story has taken, I'm done with it.

Black Panther

Chew

Jersey Gods

X-Factor

Greek Street

Unwritten

Proof, also. I forgot to mention Proof.

Yeah you better!! Geez, what is wrong with you? :tongue: I fully second that suggestion. I cannot wait for "season 2"

Nobody mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy yet?

I thought about it, but figured someone else would have. It has been very entertaining from the start. Great space action.

Thanks for taking the time out to post your suggestions, chaps.

The first Criminal trade left me cold, sometime around the middle of the second Sleeper series I got bored with Brubaker's stuff. I was just getting into his and Fraction's Iron Fist when they wrapped it up too!

The Boys is nine tenths dog shit, with the bits that're good just serving to show how rubbish the rest of the it is. Can't go wrong with Garth's war stuff so good shout there.

Oh and I liked the little tree guy in Guardians Of The Galaxy but nothing else in there really grabbed me, unoffensive but not my bag - I think the Green Lanterns have me covered on the cosmic superhero front.

I'm going to second Balthy's recommendation of Chew. It's really good - hilarious, clever, entertaining - with great art. One hell of a central conceit too.

I've also been enjoying Northlanders, Warren Ellis' Supergod (though new issues come out once an ice age) and Mike Carey's new series The Unwritten (also very highly recommended, crappy Peter Gross art aside).

It says "recommend ONE comic" in the title. Geez, can't most of you read?

(I'm just messin' wit' yas.)

Incredible Hercules-the best book Marvel is publishing, and one of my favourite comics being published at the nonce, and my favourite that hasn't been given a mention yet.

It's funny. It's epic. It's slightly thought provoking. Good stuff.

I was just getting into his and Fraction's Iron Fist when they wrapped it up too!

Charlie let me borrow 'The Last Iron Fist Story' and I was very impressed.

Orc Stain. one issue only so far but it was great fun. monthly from Image!

Really enjoyed this, I'm in for the trade when it surfaces - though the big cock tower was a little off-putting!

Also, I defy anyone not to be amused by Afrodisiac. hardcover full color graphic novel, for 15 bucks (so fuck DC with those insane hardcover prices).

I forgot Daytripper and Unwritten. Neither of them did I expect to like half as much as I do.