St. Apathy

Splash it all over my face

Any of the big splash combat pages in Black Summer.

I could only find covers online, but the splash pages are similarly badass. Juan Jose Ryp is indeed a god.

blacksum0wrap.jpg

2621839706_c544400d78_b.jpg

2121761241_62c15894d0_o.jpg

The Filth had some trippy splash pages as I recall:

filth4.gif

TLoEG

blazing-world.jpg

Is that Spider Jerusalem? ( :wink: )

Well, as their tagline goes, "If you like anything, you will LOVE NextWave!"

(I kid, I loved it too, such an awesome piece of pop culture entertainment).

Yeah, Nextwave certainly made the grade. Just so much going on as a kind of "proper comic" all couched in the most entertaining pile of "Poke loving shit at all comics" excess.

.... and yet (again) the line still doesn't work!

I'm sorry* to be pedantic about it, but Millar's original line irked me because of course the letter didn't stand for "France" because it was a fucking "A"! They may have been super-villains but they weren't illiterate.

Now this one....... it's not even a letter! I know he's taking the piss out of Millar's line, but it still doesn't work!!!

*well, not that sorry. I've always hated that line, and I refuse to pipe down about it.

Line worked just fine for me (though mainly coupled with it's setup on the previous page: "Victim?!"). Felt like he was both poking fun at Millar's original line, but also doing some snarky (and well-deserved) commentary on a certain USA mentality.

Oh, I can infer what he was trying to do from that one pic, not mention his past work.

But because I hate the original in the first place it just makes matters worse (for me, anyway. I don't expect anyone else to jump on board my prejudices).

Ah, right, right. I found it topical at the time and to have it happen in a Marvel comic also added a nice touch.

Anyhoo, here's a doozy :

darkseid-gives-the-thumbs-down.jpg

Morrison-Jones_LG_Final-Crisis-Darkseid.jpg

^ Hell yeah, I love that!

Just about my favorite moment in Final Crisis. The fact that Darkseid's presence on Earth cause time and space to shift disproportionately was cool enough.

• Upvote 1

Euro Girl? Bleh! :icon_gun_sg:

lol. Isn't that half the pleasure in the comic?. Thinking how many buttons the various over the top characters must push around the world?.

We smile at Dirk Anger, but there must be more than a few Americans that , laughing at Eurogirl, turn the page and go "WTF ! :frown: This Limey bastard is going too far!".

Last year on or about, I read Transmetropolitan and one thing I noted above everything (except for the obvious Hunter S Thompson ripoff) were the fabulous splash pages. This might be my all time favorite.

transmetropolitan-14-p07.jpg

• Upvote 1