Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Who Will Wield the Shield?

Posted by: Capfansincebirth on March 22, 2010 at 20:04:45

Son of a *****!!! **** this movie to hell. I have officially given up hope, I'm done, just cast Keira Knightly as the love interest so I can be sure not to go see this movie. Damn it all to hell.....sigh. Ok....it might work out.

Nerds are silly.

Doesn't seem a bad choice for me - he was certainly the best thing about the FF movies.

I'm fine with that. He WAS the best thing about the FF flicks. he's a funny guy and would have to get a little serious playing Cap maybe.

I heard that for a while there they were considering Jim Krasinski from the US version of The Office, which may have worked for the sickly and skinny Steve Rogers but not for Cap.

Could be fun. They could play up the man-out-of-time angle (sort of like Star Trek IV in reverse) where Cap from the 40s has to adjust to life in the modern day. Could lead to some funny moments.

Hugo Weaving as Red Skull is an excellent choice.

Posted by: Capfansincebirth on March 22, 2010 at 20:04:45

Son of a *****!!! **** this movie to hell. I have officially given up hope, I'm done, just cast Keira Knightly as the love interest so I can be sure not to go see this movie. Damn it all to hell.....sigh. Ok....it might work out.

Nerds are silly.

Doesn't seem a bad choice for me - he was certainly the best thing about the FF movies.

A remember a lot of noise along those lines being spouted when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman...

It's the "OK...it might work out" at the end which really makes it sing.

To round things up

Weaving IS Red Skull

Toby Jones is Arnim Zola

Hayley Atwell is Peggy Carter

Sebastian Stan is Bucky

Don't know much bout the bottom two, but the first two are dick-wigglingly good.

Hmmm..... I think I like it, apart from the armour on the shoulders and the panels on the trousers. Looks too modern for 1940s. But the gloves, the boots and the belt / harness all look good.

Looking at the back of the neck it looks like the edge of the helmet, going around the ears, but then it seems to vanish into a smooth mask at the front. That needs a bit of work to make it one thing or another. But glad they're not going with those stupid wings on the side of his head.

Oh, just noticed that the red harness is also acting as the red vertical stripes on his stomach. I'm not too keen on that. Nor on the black band across his chest between the blue and the white.

Actually, I'm not sure I like it at all now.

I don't like it either, though the cowl is conceptually close to the Bryan Hitch design in Ultimates and Reborn. I also don't like the lack of wings. They might look odd on film, but they could follow the Reborn lead and have them simply stenciled onto the side of the cowl.

The pads are complete rubbish, too.

I quite like that. There are things I could nitpick if I cared to, but on the whole I think it'll look good onscreen. It certainly looks a lot better than the Dark Knight costume did in stills and production drawings, and that worked out tolerably enough.

It really captures the Ultimate WW II style Cap so as long as the flick is set during that period then I'm OK with it.

I think to really capture the WWII Cap they need to simplify it a bit, make it a bit more army-like. The army stuff they already got going on looks good: the boots, the gloves, the harness.

I think you're right that it's a bit too modern looking, though. The webbing, the helmet and the boots are all nice touches, though.

Yeah, good point Atticus, good point. Maybe do away with the 'panels' on the threads and you're there. It's only 1945 after all.

That DOES look really cool. Captures the whole idea of him being a Leader of Men during the good war against evil.

Stand up you men, we are the Shield of Righteousness and have a job to do.

( Not too sure how him and his .45 would have faired against a dug in company of Germans, but then, Blokes did actually stand up and go and dig the filth out didn't they. )

On-set spy photos like this almost always look shit. Don't read too much into them, especially because it's only a stunt double, which means they won't have bothered fitting the costume perfectly because it'll be for a shot where the character isn't clearly-visible.

I do like the design of those Hydra bikes, though.

No, I get that. If I was a stuntman I probably wouldn't want to wear something tight and constricting while I was on the job.

You can see Johnston hadn't lost his zest for art-deco goodness.

Jesus he's huge. He must have huge guts.

Hahaha!! :laugh:

I'm not really surprised. People said he was too small to play Cap but if you've seen him in Fantastic Four you already could tell he's very athletic. Few more hours in the weight room and a ton of protein and voila - Cap.

Look at that waist!, and those Biceps !. That is so strange, like strapping a Battleships 17 inch rifles onto a Destroyer.