Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Who Will Wield the Shield?

Me too. I hate your freedom and everything, but I don't think I've been this excited about a movie since The Dark Knight.

Looks too pulpy, but TV spots are quite often shit.

The director also seems to be taking cues from Zack Snyder, and they did that things where the flash what could be all the most impressive shots.... Still promising on the whole.

S&M Skull?

I notice a distinct lack of Nazi symbols. So, they've gone so ultra PC that we can't have Nazis as the bad guys? Hmm

I doubt that it's a bit of PC self-censorship (not least because that sort of "political correctness", gone mad or otherwise, has never really existed outside of the frothing minds of a handful of right-wing tabloid journalists), more likely a commercial decision - "Guys, there is no way we're going to be able to sell a bunch of toys with swastikas all over them". If nothing else, it would rule out selling any merchandising or promo material in Germany and several other European countries, which have pretty strict laws concerning the use of the swastika in a context which either idealises or trivialises the Nazis.

I suppose it's a bit of a shame, but as long as the Skull's characterised right it's not going to make or break the movie - besides, this allows them to set the film version of Hydra up in a more substantial role.

On the whole, I think it's a really good design - I've been pretty consistently impressed with the visuals we've seen from both this and Thor. I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of the way Marvel are setting up their film franchises as an interlinked mega-story - if it works it'll be amazing, but if any of the individual pieces fail, it could bring the whole enterprise crashing down - but I like the approach they're taking with the various individual films. It's refreshing to see that they appear to be moving away from the homogenized, generic-superhero-movie treatment, and really emphasizing the ways these characters differ from each other.

I always liked Angela Carter (I think: it might have been somebody else)'s line that most of what gets dismissed as political correctness by frothing (and mostly right leaning) nutcases is just good manners.

This movie is going to be a success, because, Tommy Lee Jones.

I don't think those smilies mean, what you think they mean.

Paolo Rivera can out in some nice work, when they're not rushing him. The poster is very fun.