Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Who Will Wield the Shield?

From the link.

Hollywood has a history of altering movie titles or removing pro-States references in foreign markets. As the Times points out, in the 2006 film "Superman Returns," Warner Bros. changed Superman's iconic motto from "truth, justice and the American way" to "truth, justice and all that stuff."

Should have been "Truth, Justice, and fuck you for a bunch of unamusing, po-faced, bigoted Foreign Johnnies, we have a little list and you just got on it, congratulations and fuck you very much".

Of course, that don't scan too good. And also, the people insisting on the change would not have been remotely the target audience, the whole of whom would know perfectly well who/why Captain America is.

Humans leave a lot to be desired, quite often.

In the comments " Captain America?????

NYET!!!!!!!!!

In Russia, we shall release film in black and white ( eliminating red, white and blue,,,,,,,clever, no?) and we shall call him..........................COMRADE SALT MINE!!!!!!!!!"

lol

Hahaha. I just watched that first clip on your link Balthazar. That was lovely delivery right through. The clips I have watched so far make me hopeful this movie is going to capture the essence of Caps' beginnings, the times and the people who were with him are vitally important to treat well, to make it a success, imho. They seem to do a good job, from Tommy Lee Jones pragmatic cold blooded grenade trick, on to the scene where they walk into the battle.

Not out here for a while. Went to see Thor today, to find it has already been taken off the playlists!. Fuck this working for a living nonsense.

That was less than 4 weeks, for fuck sake. The modern mind, such a short attention span, everything is hurry hurry. I could have gone to see Kung Fu Panda two, but want to see if my sister-in-lawe will gimme the two ratbags, as camoflage. lol.

Caught it yesterday. It was pretty good. Maybe not as good as the 1st Iron man or Spider-Man but I liked it a wee bit better than Thor.

It's very much his origin story, which was done really well, but didn't leave much time for anything else. So the remainder of the film was a montage of battles taking out the Red Skull's tech labs which culminated into one giant final battle and we all know how that ends up (almost made me a bit misty). The final scene was done really well but I thought it could have been longer and drawn out, maybe an initial scene setting up the next flick or the Avengers flick (full Avengers traier as the after-credits piece this time).

All of the actors did a stellar job. All of them. Hugo Weaving's Red Skull was superb, which should surprise nobody. Chris Evans was a great Cap, they nailed that one. All of the supporting roles were well done.

That makes me so happy to hear, you have my thanks, sir.

Man, I am excited to go see this.

On a tangently connected issue, our PM was up there talking to your POTUS, and asked if some of the Marines couldn't come to NZ next year, to receive the honours of permission to march, fixed bayonet, through the streets of Auckland and Wellington, in commemoration of of their Grandfathers, that came down here 75 years ago, to help protect us while our men were fighting in the Middle East.

I think I am going to go along, if I get the chance. What would be a fine thing, would be if we Aucklanders can show a little gratitude, and give them a rousing reception.

( They got told to leave the Nukes at home of course. :wink: )

I liked it alot. I think it's the 3rd or 4th best Marvel adaptation. Yes, there were lots of things you can pick on, but Hugo Weaving was awesome as Red Skull--his accent sounded just like Werner Herzog. And Chris Evans played Cap as gung ho and humble as possible, Imo.

Caught it tonight.

Not as good as Iron Man, but better than Iron Man 2.

Haven't seen Thor so can't compare it with that.

Not as good as Spidermen 1 & 2, but far better than 3.

Nowhere near as good as X-Men 1 or 2, and probably on par with First Class, but miles better than 3 or Wolverine.

Better than Hulks 1 & 2.

That about sum it up?

My question is how could it be that Tony Stark used cap's shield as a placeholder for one of his zany experiments in IM2, when the shield would have been frozen with Cap. Furthermore, in the Cap movie, it is said that the shield is the only of it's kind, no? That would mean that IM2 would have to take place post-thaw?

Much as I like the idea that Cap was up and around during ALL the past Marvel movies, it doesn't make sense that he'd have the shield dismantled and given to Tony. The same shield is also seen in IM1 during the "This isn't thw worst thing you've caught me doing" bit.

My guess is its isn't the same shield.

But in Cap's movie they said it was the only one of it's kind or something like that?

I haven't seen CA yet, but I did see the clip online where Hayley Atwell shot at him. It mentioned that it was made from Vibranium (the metal from many Black Panther comics), so supposedly its the only shield made out of Vibranium.

So I guess Tony's shield is one that isn't made from vibranium and thus isn't of the same kind.

Much as I like the idea that Cap was up and around during ALL the past Marvel movies, it doesn't make sense that he'd have the shield dismantled and given to Tony. The same shield is also seen in IM1 during the "This isn't thw worst thing you've caught me doing" bit.

Maybe Stark has the prototype or something?

According to this clip, it is the prototype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXDGtRvhJIk

Of course, given that its made of a rare metal, I have two issues;

1) What could it be a prototype of, if they don't have the material to build another? Aside from the vibranium, it is an average buckler shield.

2) Why waste such a rare metal on building a prototype not intended for use?

My guess is that the shield in IM & IM2 is another shield, a new one*

They said in CATFA that the vibranium shield is one of a kind because it uses up ALL the vibranium in the world. But who says they didn't discover more in the past 70 years or so?

*ok, so the question still stands as to WHY tony would have a new version of Cap's shield in his workshop. Perhaps it was a personal labour of love, tinkering and improving on his dad's previous work. Or maybe Tony was working on an aspect of a fresh stab at the super-soldier programme sometime before IM takes place.

I need to watch the scene again but I thought Tony Stark was like, "Is that what I think it is?" when he sees the shield, implying he had not scene it before. Also I thought it was in a pile of stuff that he had gotten from his father.

So maybe Howard had a new shield made some time after Cap's death and perhaps it was Howard Stark that was involved in reinvigorating the Super Soldier project after Cap's disappearance?

Solution? Watch IM2 again. :wink:

I found it a bit boring. Hugo Weaving was excellent (as ever.)

I thought some of the small Steve Rogers stuff was a bit off, he seemed to change size! At some points he looked like a small (but believable) person, but in the car he looked like a bloody Hobbit! In some shots, he looked smaller than me.

I loved it. Not as good as X-Men: First Class, but the best of the Marvel Studios movies.

I didn't like how Bucky was handled in the end, surely they could've had him commit a heroic sacrifice at the end when say, two pilots bail out at the same time so each has to go after one?

On the bright side, it looks like the folks behind it are for the Winter Soldier, possibly as a spin-off, though I'm not sure how that would work.

I also found the romantic subplot to be quite worth it for once.