Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

THOR!

Needs a bit more beard but is looking good.

Destroyer armor looks fucking incredible.

I hoped for more of the ultimate version, the cape just makes himt look a twat, so true to the regular thor then.

That was very cool. The look of Odin is well done, as is Heimdal.

I love Natalie Portman!

Never seen the Portman rap, but lovely as she is I still can't help seeing her as the Mathilda in Leon.

I never knew Chris Hemsworth is an aussie - I'd only ever seen him in Trek. He looks good in the role, but needs more hair! It's a bit thin.

I still maintain Kenneth Branagh would make a good John Constantine.

That is all.

Definitely playing him. But he's a decent director too, so both would be fine.

It is awesome. That is what I meant by my last post, that regardless of my appreciation of that video, I still find her bland.

Oh, see, I read the the other way around. Don't mind me...nothing to see here. :mong:

Googles Portman rap.

WHAT !

lol. My goodness . . . I wonder if that got her laid more, you know, all the groupies? "Talk dirty to me Nat!".

Hm, I'm undecided. On the one hand I've never had much of an attachment to Thor as a character. On the other hand, I didn't have that to Iron Man either, and that was a fun film.

My main gripe with Thor has been his being portrayed in a waaaaay to nice and polished way. This is the God of Thunder for crying out loud. He's a boisterous, heavy-drinking, fight-loving bastard, not someone who talks like Hamlet.

But it might be fun.

I don't see this Thor dressing up as his bride to rescue her.

To be fair, neither did the myhtological Thor. He DID dress up as a bride (not his bride though) to get his hammer back though.

When we were kids, my twin and I used to read a lot of classic mythology, like the Greek myths and the Scandinavian ones, the Arthurian and Robin Hood ones it goes without saying, as well of course , the Maori myths. I am talking things like Beardsley illustrated tombs that would have first been printed for Victorian children. And some of the things Herakles and Thor and Maui got up to were seminal images for my growing mind

And it strikes me now that you can't buy these stories for young people any more. You can only get these abridged, washed out versions that exist in comics.

I tried a few years ago to get a simple unabridged copy of "Beau Geste" for my nephew, can't be done.

Their lives are smaller, because they don't share this long tradition with our generation and those before us, imo.

When we were kids, my twin and I used to read a lot of classic mythology, like the Greek myths and the Scandinavian ones, the Arthurian and Robin Hood ones it goes without saying, as well of course , the Maori myths. I am talking things like Beardsley illustrated tombs that would have first been printed for Victorian children. And some of the things Herakles and Thor and Maui got up to were seminal images for my growing mind

And it strikes me now that you can't buy these stories for young people any more. You can only get these abridged, washed out versions that exist in comics.

Bullshit, just a simple search on "norse gods" or "norse myths" in amazon.com/co.uk reveals plenty of books on the subject, both for kids and adults (i.e. Edda translations).

Well, bullshit seems a little harsh.

I am sure anything can be found online, including copies of the actual books I read when I was a kid, so all right, I was wrong to say "Can't" buy. What I meant was, try going to a normal book shop to get non-abridged, intelligent childrens books about mythology and the old stories ( and I have tried ) and you can't get them. All you get on the shelves is sort of glossy light dumbed-down books.

( Looking online at our national bookshops site, I see that yes, you can order copies of works by Kingsley and other authors who I read as a child. I think this is merely them ordering them in from somewhere else though, because they certainly are not on the shelves here. They claim "In stock, free delivery" but then so they do for every book you enter into the search field, including ones chosen because one knows them to be out of publication, so I suspect it is a come on tactic.

Putting Beau Geste into the field, I get the same claim "In stock" and specifically it is NOT in stock in Auckland, in their stores, because I have recently looked for it. "we can order that in for you".

My lament was that these good childrens books, that don't talk down to them, and portray history as it was, as all the previous generations of English Speaking Children had read it, are no longer available. And putting aside the magic box of the inter webs, it is still the case.

What isn't there in the shop for children to pick up and buy, is not going to be read. Mum taking the youngsters into Whitcoulls with their Xmas gift vouchers, isn't going to know what they missed, when the book isn't there at hand. )

I think most people still buy their books off the shelves in an actual shop, though maybe that is me being old fashioned. Certainly you guys probably buy online, but, we are online here, it is a self selected group to get that answer.

What isn't there in the shop for children to pick up and buy, is not going to be read. Mum taking the youngsters into Whitcoulls with their Xmas gift vouchers, isn't going to know what they missed, when the book isn't there at hand.

"Isn't going to be read" might be putting it too harshly. "Will be read less" is more accurate. Otherwise, I agree with your point. Bookstores have changed significally the last 10-20, as franchise chains have taken a steadily-increasing share of the market. They make a point of offering bestsellers cheaply, since that is the main cash cow. More marginal books are relegated more to the back shelves, or in many cases, to storages, where they can be ordered. (It's basically the same development as movie theatres: Blockbusters everywhere, marginal films in specialized theatres or unavailable) To me, this is yet another argument that the free market model has some severe limitations when it comes to preserving and advancing culture.