Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

THOR!

I am re-reading American Gods, so that was probably accurate Hugh, if Mr Gaimans take is right.

Why was he able to rock about happily in such a Christian land?.

Superman is just as vulnerable to magic as the next guy, though, isn't he?

Well, not me, but most mortals, sure.

Thor's always been quite a lot like Marvel's version of Superman, really. Like Superman, his power levels have varied greatly throughout the years depending on the writer and what plot devices the writer is using.

Thor's original cast of villains included "classic" characters like Cobra and Mr. Hyde. Thor wasn't treated any differently than any other superhero originally, which outright sucked. Then it took cosmic class baddies to really challenge Thor after Kirby gave Lee a quick stiff kick for making Thor (a freakin' Norse god) as powerful as Ant Man.

Thor has gone toe-to-toe with Galactus and Ego (a whole living planet, for gosh sake!) in the past.

Also, on the subject, while this has been quietly sweeped under the rug ever since, Ellis wrote a brief story-arc on Thor which ret-conned the Norse gods as extra-dimensional aliens who suffered from memory loss and just thought they were the Norse deities. Taking a page from Von Danikin's playbook, the inhabitants of the landmass where the aliens materialized mistook the beings for their gods.

I think the main reason Ellis did this was just to explain why Marvel Thor has blonde hair...

I have actually read every issue of Thor. Yes, it's true.

There are long sweeps of issues that are just plain horrid.

I'd probably start with the Walt Simonson run. It's the definitive run.

The Lee/Kirby era is quintessential. They defined the Marvel Thor for all writers afterward.

Then there's the Gerry Conway run, which I absolutely love. It follows closely on the Lee/Kirby classics and steers heavily into spic fantasy territory. I'm unsure if any of the Conway material has been collected though. Eventually the Essential books will get there, but I think they're still on the Lee stuff. These are 1970s comics, so a bit more pricey and scarce than you'd want to spend hunting down individual issues.

And, that's about all there is for "must read" Thor material. As a book that's been running for over 500 issues, that's just dire.

I did really enjoy the Len Wein run also, myself. Wein's take was much more sci-fi. Nothing essential, but I had a lot of fun with it. None of this is collected.

Oh, and extra-special mention to the second half of Roy Thomas' run when he just adapts The Ring of the Nibelung using the Thor cast. Cool stuff. This might be collected along with the Mark Gruenwald "Eternals" (#300) saga, but I'm not sure.

Out of everything else that's actually been collected, yeah, the JMS stuff is as good as you're going to get. It's hit and miss though.

That's where the English got St. George from, just for a start, so it seems a bit late to start objecting to it now.

OHO!, now you add blasphemy to your other crimes, St George was ENGLISH I will have you know!

No, he was a Turk. Middle eastern gent. (Probably enjoyed a decent curry, which is pretty British, though.)

Dead right about the rest, but I'm not having that. Sorry.

That's where the English got St. George from, just for a start, so it seems a bit late to start objecting to it now.

OHO!, now you add blasphemy to your other crimes, St George was ENGLISH I will have you know!

No, he was a Turk. Middle eastern gent. (Probably enjoyed a decent curry, which is pretty British, though.)

Dead right about the rest, but I'm not having that. Sorry.

Yeah, Tigger was being funny again, amusing hisself. I knew that about Proto-St George all along. And where as I could have said something about "But that is just one of our Virtues, seeing virtue in other races and blatantly stealing it for our own!" or " bah, mere accident of Birth, why would that stop his Englishness from being obvious to anyone?". I went the other way, tongue firmly in cheek.

No worries, the obvious fault was mine, the old one of finding myself so very very amusing!.

:)

( I do you know, and it is a sad habit to have )

Well, to be fair, he sort of does in mythology too (in the Havamal.

But, in the comics, that character has been dead for a number of years. So, it's true to the recent comics.

OR maybe he enters the Odinsleep. The only nap so powerful it's named after a god

Well, to be fair, he sort of does in mythology too (in the Havamal.

Well, he does, but then he comes back. That's why he's the god of death (amongst other things). Unless you're talking about Ragnarok, in which case not only he, but also Thor and a whole squadron of other gods cop it.

But, in the comics, that character has been dead for a number of years. So, it's true to the recent comics.

OK, I wouldn't know that... :hattip:

Kate sees your trailer.

Kate is ambivalent. That's just bits of the comic con footage with an added - I'll admit, very cool - scene of Thor creating a wave of rocks.

Am pumped to see this, planning on taking the girlfriend and best-friends-couple to this first thing tomorrow. I have high hopes for Branagh, though Thor doesn't quite look the part, IMHO, but I hope the actor manages to hammer it in (I actually stopped doing puns most of the time, but this place brings out the worst in me).

It was alright. 'That'll do' sums it up for me.

Thor learning his shit doth stink comes out of nowhere, really. Apparently it has something to do with Thor falling for Jane Foster, which is pretty inexplicable since she's a tepid character that only stops being so when she's chewing out the undergrad.

Also, I inexplicably dislike Stellan Skarsgard now.

Huh, weird. Can you try to explain why without spoilers?

Can you try to explain why

He did say "inexplicably", so probably not... :tongue: