Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

THOR!

Yes. It can't explain it.

But I like Anthony Hopkins again now. He's a great Odin, and seems to enjoy playing him. Though I'd have preferred it if they called him Odin Borson rather than Allfather. Still wonder what BRIAN BLESSED WOULD HAVE TURNED OUT LIKE.

I'd have preferred it if they called him Odin Borson rather than Allfather.

Is he called that in the comic then?

I see. Well, maybe they wanted to make more of the norse mythology-link?

He had lots and lots of names, as I remember. Most of them quite gruesome.

emo_boogie.gif

I always prefered him to our guy, our guy would be good in a fight I guess, but a dreadfully minatory and repressive prick, I always thought. Whereas I can imagine Odin getting his round in and saying

"Get that in you lads, we will get a curry and then go find some pricks to kick to death, eh?".

:)

He had lots and lots of names, as I remember

Indeed, the norse mythology-Odin liked making up new names for himself, especially when he went out among humans in midgard, or jotuns in utgard incognito.

Here are they, according to the Norwegian wiki-entry:

Allfader , Arnhovde, Atrid, Audun, Bileyg (Biløyd), Bivlinde, Båleyg (Båløyd), Bolverk, Brun/Brune, Dresvarp, Farmatyr, Roptaty, Herjan, Hrosshårsgråne , Hvatmod, Hvedrung, Hærglad, Hærblinde, Hå/Høy, Ialk, Jevnhå (Den Jevnhøye), Jolner, Kjalar, Langskjegg, Launding, Møttul, Njot, Olg, Ölur, Ome, Oske, Ovner, Rane, Ravnguden, Rosterus, Sann/Sannetal, Seierfar, Sidhatt, Sidskjegg, Sige, Sigder, Siggaut, Sigmund, Sigtrygg, Skilfing, Skjoldvall, Svalner, Svavner, Svidrer, Svidur, Svipal, Tud, Tund/Tunn, Tekk, Tror, Trasar, Tveblinde, Tvegge, Ud, Vak/Vakr, Valfader, Valdr Galga, Vegtam, Vidrimmer, Vidur, Vodin, Våvud, Wothan, Ygg/Yggr, Yggjung, Yjungval

That list is a mix of various names from different stories/sagas, and names for him in different languages.

Indeed, the norse mythology-Odin liked making up new names for himself, especially when he went out among humans in midgard, or jotuns in utgard incognito.

Allfader , Arnhovde, Atrid, Audun, Bileyg (Biløyd), Bivlinde, Båleyg (Båløyd), Bolverk, Brun/Brune, Dresvarp, Farmatyr, Roptaty, Herjan, Hrosshårsgråne , Hvatmod, Hvedrung, Hærglad, Hærblinde, Hå/Høy, Ialk, Jevnhå (Den Jevnhøye), Jolner, Kjalar, Langskjegg, Launding, Møttul, Njot, Olg, Ölur, Ome, Oske, Ovner, Rane, Ravnguden, Rosterus, Sann/Sannetal, Seierfar, Sidhatt, Sidskjegg, Sige, Sigder, Siggaut, Sigmund, Sigtrygg, Skilfing, Skjoldvall, Svalner, Svavner, Svidrer, Svidur, Svipal, Tud, Tund/Tunn, Tekk, Tror, Trasar, Tveblinde, Tvegge, Ud, Vak/Vakr, Valfader, Valdr Galga, Vegtam, Vidrimmer, Vidur, Vodin, Våvud, Wothan, Ygg/Yggr, Yggjung, Yjungval

That list is a mix of various names from different stories/sagas, and names for him in different languages.

This could be turned into a drinking game. I just tried to pronunce all that with glass of something in my hand.

Will see this tomorrow.

We saw it on Wednesday. It was fine. I know very little about Thor, so I couldn't get all arsey about it, as nerds do. The Thor man was fine, likeable and looks FINE with his shirt off (not enough of this, add more to The Avengers, please), even if he looks like Kurt Cobain, if he'd done steroids rather than heroin.

It was styraight faced in the bits that could have been campy or cheesy, and it kept me entertained.

If you go see it, wait til after the credits as there's a bit extra, like in Iron Man 1 & 2.

[ Spoiler : Which seemed to feature Julian Clary. ]

I really liked it. Everything a comic-book movie should be, in my book. Only weak spot was Jane Foster. Yet another drip of a love interest. Marvel needs to step it up on writing the female characters. But otherwise it was pretty excellent.

And shit, if you thought Idris Elba was badass before this movie...

Chalk me up as another who really enjoyed it. As Pooka says, it played it surprisingly straight, when it could have gone for high camp - which would have been disastrous - but still retained enough of a sense of humour when required to get away with it. Portman was less irritating than she can be, but was stuck with a desperately under-written role - Kat Dennings' character stole every scene they shared, which is a bit of a shame. Still, the rest of the cast were largely perfect.

Not quite up to the standard of Iron Man, but not as far behind it as I'd been half-expecting. Definitely a success.

Went to see this yesterday, and I'm with Pooka (and Abhi) - I liked it okay, nothing to write home about, expected a bit more from Branagh, do that might have made me additionally underwhelmed, I really hoped he would give it some of that Shakespearean flair (and I think he delivered in most of Loki/Odin's great scenery-chewing bits). The film kot a bit dull somewhere around the middle, and kinda looked like the Earth subplot was dropped, with the S.H.I.E.L.D. coming as an afterthought, suddenly being all nice to Thor, without much valid reason.

Natalie Portman seemed to be switching from her character's more dramatic scenes in Black Swan to the jokey joke blankness of her turn in No Strings Attached in the same scene, and none of it really worked. She and Thor never had any chemistry.

Idris Elba was bloody brilliant, as usual. Wish he was my dad, etc.

The visuals were really great, though maybe because we thought we will be seeing it in 3D, some of the Asgard shots FX seemed to be a bit blurry, even though other parts in the same shot would be crystal clear. The whole magic-as-SciFi thing was well handled visually (unlike the script, where it kinda god a bit old, them trying to shout at you "see? we're NOT saying these people are gods!" In fact, have they even used the G-word at all while describing Asgardians?), especially the crazier cosmic stuff.

Anika loved, loved, LOVED it though, so that is reassuring. When I'd say things like "Idris Elba was particularly good" she'd cut me off to add "... as well as every OTHER frickin' thing! My best friend and his girlfriend, both more into comics than Anika (and huge Branagh fans) were a bit disappointed, but still found it good.

@Pooka - Kurt Cobain on steroids, rather than heroin - I'm stealing that bit from you. You nailed it. I liked Thor just fine, though I was a bit unsure coming into the movie, but I'm not as smitten as other people I was with. I'd rather watch a whole movie with Heimdal and Natalie Portman's sassy sidekick.

All that said, still a good time at the movies.

Thor readers, I have a question - is the Odinsleep something that occurs frequently, a plot-trope for putting the God back into his Machine?

@Pooka - Kurt Cobain on steroids, rather than heroin - I'm stealing that bit from you.

No problem, dear boy.

Actually, Rogan, I think I liked it a little more than you did. Somewhere between your reaction and Anika's, I'd say. Your reaction sounds like you were slightly underwhelmed even though you enjoyed yourself. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and would consider the movie quite successful (the Foster character aside). No The Dark Knight or Superman: The Movie but still. Quite good.

I think if I'd gone in expecting something absolutely brilliant, I'd have been disappointed. But since I was at least half-convinced that it was going to fall horribly flat, I was very pleasantly surprised. As Abhi says, it's no genre-defining masterpiece - it's not even on the level of Iron Man, really. But it's a thoroughly entertaining bit of spectacle, which captures enough of the essence of the comic (various different versions thereof, in fact), while remaining sufficiently fun and accessible to non-fans (which is where Iron Man 2 really fell down), to give me some hope for Captain America and The Avengers.

I saw the movie in 3D.

How come that the official language in Asgard is English?

Directed by Kenneth Brannagh. I guess producers were all the time behind, correcting his mistakes. You know, like putting more than three characters on the same screen doing something crazy like acting, instead of y'know, just standing there waiting for their phrase.

Natalie Portman, oh well, why not. I liked her more in Leon, but hey.

Not the movie of my life, but a good entertainment. Well, it's engineered to be like that, right?

BTW, if you watch it, WAIT FOR THE END OF THE CREDITS.

Uhhh, for the same reason they spoke English on Krypton in the Superman movies and the same reason why every alien race on Star Trek spoke English.

I expected him to start cursing in Norwegian/Swedish(?) as he dropped to earth.

Uhhh, for the same reason they spoke English on Krypton in the Superman movies and the same reason why every alien race on Star Trek spoke English.

The British Empire.

I'm not in the least bothered by this. Makes it easier to keep the mythological Thor separate from the superhero Thor.

Balder/the Gatekeeper got fused together into a single character if recall.

Now, you just translate that into "Worldspeak", and we will be on the same page!.

Awesome looking names though. Bolverk?. Rosterus?.

Valdr Galga !.

"What will you have with the beef course, sir?"

A couple of bottles of that Valdr Galga please.

How so?

Hmm I can't find the websites thatmentioned that during pre - production. Forget I said anything until I find it.

I read it on TVTropes, too. Just can't make sense of it. Heimdall is badass, but he's not a really complex character to be regarded as a composite.