Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

THOR!

Well that was very entertaining! Like the rest of you I really think Branagh nailed the mix of light-hearted comedy ("Give me a horse!") with serious drama here. Too much of either would have ruined the film, but it needs both. And Hemsworth is perfectly cast for this role - and not just for his looks. He has that gleam in his eye that a character like Thor needs. ("You're big!" followed by "Fought bigger" made me smile)

Natalie Portman's character was dull, but not irritatingly so. And Husamuddin's dislike for Skarsgard really is inexplicable.

Oh, and the teaser was ace.

I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun right the way through.

I quite liked the Hawkeye cameo also.

I have a (very minor) historical niggle:

[ Spoiler : In the movie, both Loki and Thor apparently are at most 1000 years old. Loki - shown as being about the same age as Thor - was an infant after the war with the jotuns, and that was timed to "Tonsberg, Norway, 928 AD". And in the movie, supposedly, the myths about Thor stemmed from him going on forays to earth and being seen as a god. But the mythology about Thor predates 928 AD. So he obviously couldn't have inspired them. I know this is VERY minor, but they could easily have avoided it, by just dropping the "historical" reference to a specific year for the war with the Jotuns. Annoying. ]

I've not seen the movie....yet. So, I'm just tossing an idea out there. Could it be that this Thor, and the rest of the Æsir, are just the latest incarnations in cycle after Ragnarök?

And I think it would awesome for them to do some flashbacks to those old days in the form of animation, using the movie cast, or as sort mini-episodes

None of you found it just a wee bit cornball? It was better than both F4 movies, and Spider-man 1 & 3, oh and Dare-Devil, obviously. But I didn't think it was any better than the X-Men flicks, and they were...ok, I guess. As far as Marvel movies go, Spider-man 2 is the pinnacle, IMO. This was nowhere near that. That doesn't mean I didn't like it, it was better than I expected (I thought it would suck, honestly) but there's a bit of disappointment with the Hollywoodity of it--the fake sets, the modern hairstyles in Asgaard, plot points that moved according to convenience rather than by acts of the characters.

It was better than...Spider-man 1...As far as Marvel movies go, Spider-man 2 is the pinnacle, IMO. This was nowhere near that.

I see there's no mention of Iron Man on your list?

Duh, I knew I left something out. Yeah, no where near Iron Man 1 but maybe on par with 2, a little lower than that. Spider-Man 2, though, is Marvel's money shot.

Am I the only one here who kinda dug Daredevil? Especially after that Director's cut?

Yeah, no where near Iron Man 1 but maybe on par with 2, a little lower than that.

So it was awesome then?

And it's been a while since I've seen Spider-Man 2, but I've always thought the 1st one to be the money shot (at least until I saw Iron Man).

Hey, I'd rather see Affleck return to DD, than this Ghost Rider sequel.

Anyhoo, back to Thor, |I found this nifty guide very handy when recommending Thor to friends who didn't read comics, and are wary.

Am I the only one here who kinda dug Daredevil? Especially after that Director's cut?

I did too. Guilty pleasure.

Wouldn't mind a better sequel.

I heard the reboot will be dealing with Miller's Born Again, though I'd have loved for that storyline to be the proper sequel, or at least "The Dark Knight" to this reboot's Batman Begins.

That would cool. Dare-devil was one of my favorite comics, and Born Again was the reason. Miller reshaped DD as well as Batman. Made both characters more gritty and less gold or silver.

I can't imagine Born Again working as a reboot. Daredevil's downward would requires prior sympathy, after all. Unless I'm missing something here.

I don't think it would work as a sequel to Daredevil, either.

I just noticed something weird, and its weird that I didn't notice before.

No Balder.

Me neither! (Touch wood.)

Now I can't stop imagining your avatar with Thor's helmet.