Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

THOR!

Well, that song is f*cking aces next to the Foo Fighters. Which was what they actually put on the credits.

Wait one minute, compadre.

The Foo Fighters rock.

More specifically, Mr Grohl is a fucking champion!. I would like you to know that he actually flew to New Zealand specifically to hold a concert to raise money for Christchurch. And there is the whole "Make beards more legitimate on blokes" thing too.

Foo Fighters > Kiss.

emo_vuv.gif

Heh - given your general views on modern music, "The Foo Fighters rock" wouldn't have been high on a list of things I'd expect to hear you say!

You're right, mind, especially about them being way, way, way better than bloody KISS.

Also: based on most of what I've seen/heard, I agree about Dave Grohl, too. He's worked with a lot of people, none of whom seem to have a bad word to say about him - by all appearances, he's an absolute gent.

All of which said: the Foo Fighters song which plays over the credits of Thor is....aaaahh....not among their best.

It really isn't, no. Really enjoyed the rest of the soundtrack though. the movie itself was a mess when it came to the script (too busy setting up the Avengers, and like other folks have pointed out, Thor really should have ended up on earth, now they'll have to waste lots of time getting him back to earth in The Avengers!), but I really liked the characters, most of the design work (the only bad thing was that all the frost giants looked like they were played by one guy) and the humour.

Also, Shield remains a totally ineffectual entity. with both Black Widow and Hawkeye in their employ, you might expect them to have a bit more power to confront both Thor and the Destroyer. That was weak stuff.

Heimdall was awesome, as was Loki. I really, really liked Hiddleston in the role. One of those times where I've had uncanny powers of prediction, by the way: when it was announced that Branagh was directing Thor, my girlfriend and I were watching Wallander and I immediately suggested that Wallander's petulant assistant would make an awesome Loki.

EDIT: I thought the flick should have ended with Apocalyptica's cover of Bowie's Heroes/Helden, as sung by the dude from Rammstein. because it's awesome.

Also, Shield remains a totally ineffectual entity. with both Black Widow and Hawkeye in their employ, you might expect them to have a bit more power to confront both Thor and the Destroyer. That was weak stuff.

Yeah, and they didn't make any effort to question/detain Thor after the battle with the Destroyer, it was more like "off you go, then!" Nick Fury must have been away on business.

EDIT: I thought the flick should have ended with Apocalyptica's cover of Bowie's Heroes/Helden, as sung by the dude from Rammstein. because it's awesome.

This.

It really isn't, no. Really enjoyed the rest of the soundtrack though. the movie itself was a mess when it came to the script (too busy setting up the Avengers

Huh? The script had very little to do with that at all, since it focused mainly on

Thor's journey away from brashness and arrogance, and the struggle over Asgard.

and like other folks have pointed out, Thor really should have ended up on earth, now they'll have to waste lots of time getting him back to earth in The Avengers!)

Why? He can just appear, and say "he found a way" or something. After all,

Heimdall explicitly says that the way to Earth isn't permanently barred.

Huh? The script had very little to do with that at all, since it focused mainly on

but the whole earth sequence is scripted so stupidly: we didn't need Shield, it was only put in there to form a link with the other Marvel movies (the Hawkeye bit is clearly added in later too, the only person he communicates with is Coulson, on radio! I really hated those scenes.

That kind of explanation would certainly fit the level of storytelling problem solving shown in the recent Marvel flicks, yeah...

I really really enjoyed the first half of the film. Second half, not fantastic. Still really liked the depiction of Marvels Asgard, a lot of fun to be had in the film.

but the whole earth sequence is scripted so stupidly: we didn't need Shield, it was only put in there to form a link with the other Marvel movies

Really? It could just as easily be seen as just a generic governmental body stepping in when something weird happens. IMHO you could see this film completely delinked from the others, and it wouldn't suffer.

(the Hawkeye bit is clearly added in later too, the only person he communicates with is Coulson, on radio! I really hated those scenes.

Speaking as someone who doesn't know who Hawkeye is, I disagree. In the film he's just a military expert who uses a bow. The repartee between him and Coulson works, since it gives an "outsiders view" of Thor's actions. I think you may be biased from your prior knowledge.

That kind of explanation would certainly fit the level of storytelling problem solving shown in the recent Marvel flicks, yeah...

But do the technicalities really matter, from a storytelling point of view?

but the whole earth sequence is scripted so stupidly: we didn't need Shield, it was only put in there to form a link with the other Marvel movies

Really? It could just as easily be seen as just a generic governmental body stepping in when something weird happens. IMHO you could see this film completely delinked from the others, and it wouldn't suffer.

(the Hawkeye bit is clearly added in later too, the only person he communicates with is Coulson, on radio! I really hated those scenes.

Speaking as someone who doesn't know who Hawkeye is, I disagree. In the film he's just a military expert who uses a bow. The repartee between him and Coulson works, since it gives an "outsiders view" of Thor's actions. I think you may be biased from your prior knowledge.

does it really work? I found the scenes pretty tedious. I wouldn't say I'm biased, I just thought the Shield stuff was an annoying distraction from what was the main plot: Thor learning a lesson to become a better god of thunder. I'd rather have had an extra half hour of Loki scheming and Thor actually getting to know Jane Foster, instead of the completely unbelievable love story we got now.

But do the technicalities really matter, from a storytelling point of view?

yes, it would. if they make it easy for Thor to return to earth, it would cheapen the ending of this movie, i.e. there not being any real problem with the destruction of Bifrost. Anyway, somebody else wrote about his problems with the ending over here, which is pretty much exactly how I felt about it.

Just came back from the theater, seen Thor again, this time with my high school buddies, Gringo and Tashke, who'll be doing the art chores on my comics. They both moderately enjoyed it, and i thought some of it played a bit better the second time around, though I now had the feeling some of the dialog/scenes were edited down that they play out too fast. Still, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would on a repeat viewing, so it has that going for it.

Still can't see any reason for S.H.I.E.L.D. to release "Dr. Donald Blake", and the Destroyer aftermath still seems like they are a bunch of minimum wage mall cops.

Heh - given your general views on modern music, "The Foo Fighters rock" wouldn't have been high on a list of things I'd expect to hear you say!

Yeah, it is quite funny that two or three modern performers have slipped under my irritation level.

Jack Johnson for one. The Streets. One or two of the young women who write their own songs, as well. It isn't that I want to listen to their work more than once, or that I go looking for other people "like The Streets" or anything like that. More, having heard and liked a song by them, I am always prepared to listen once to another effort by them, more admiration than fandom, I guess is what I am trying to say.

I think it is when ( a ) I can hear their lyrics actually have some poetic power and ( b ) They do their own work, not trying to be anyone else. ( This is why I hate heavy metal so violently, who could know what they were shouting, and they have zero, zilch skill, on their instruments, negative skill even )

Thinking on it, yeah, I think actually my interest is almost always contingent on a lyrical basis, the words being poetically pleasing, carrying freight.

However, Foo Fighters I think is a special case, I heard a couple of songs in a row, and they were just dynamite, a pedal pressed to the floor somehow. So now I might listen to his effort AS MUSIC, rather than try to break it down to lyrics.

But only if I was passing someone elses having it played.

But I couldn't be called a listener to music by any means, I would never turn a radio or something like that on, for my own pleasure, it ( just my opinion now, don't take it wrongly folks * braces for onslaught * ) always seems selfishly anti-social, why the fuck should I dictate what other people must hear?. I try to live by the golden rule, and if someone else turns a radio on and subjects me to their own arbitary judgement on what is going to beat on my ears, even if I like the singer/song, I have to hold hard to the obligation to Keep the Queens Peace. So it would be rank hypocrisy to do so to others myself.

Caught Thor yesterday. It was pretty good. Almost came off like a bad TV movie at points. But Chris Hemsworth did an excellent job and there were some quite humorous moments. I liked the laughy, jokey Thor a lot. Heimdall and Loki were both excellent as well. Asgard looked brilliant in 3D.

( This is why I hate heavy metal so violently, who could know what they were shouting, and they have zero, zilch skill, on their instruments, negative skill even )

Oh, come on. Mastodon, Stratovarius, Dream Theater or Down.

( This is why I hate heavy metal so violently, who could know what they were shouting, and they have zero, zilch skill, on their instruments, negative skill even )

Oh, come on. Mastodon, Stratovarius, Dream Theater or Down.

Aye aye, as I said, I meant no disrespect and certainly wasn't setting myself up as some fit judge, never having listened to more heavy metal than the length of time it takes to leave any particular room.

Undoubtably, the world has talented and gifted musicians in it with years of training at their instruments of choice, that choose to use their talents to perform discordant worthless noisey shit, where no one can possibly hear any particular single aspect of the chacophany well enough to judge its worth, Certainly not the lyrics, anyway.

OH NO

icon_witchhunt.gif

The villagers have tracked me to my lair. ( Luckily all I need do to escape scathless, is play ACDC really really loud, they won't be able to follow my flight, for their heads will be banging up and down. )

emo_hattip.gif

(...), never having listened to more heavy metal than the length of time it takes to leave any particular room.

Undoubtably, the world has talented and gifted musicians in it with years of training at their instruments of choice, that choose to use their talents to perform discordant worthless noisey shit,(...)

Don't justify an opinion if you are going to do it poorly. Really, i do respect your opinion. I am not forcing you to listen to the same music. You don't need to explain yourself.

Just watched Thor for the first time.

Rather liked it. It was more fun than I expected. Chris Hemsworth did a great job of portraying Thor's arrogant, childish side believeably, and the switch to humble Thor occurred naturally IMO. Great supporting cast, especially Hopkins and Hiddleston, although Sif and the warriors three could've toned down the comedy just the slightest of notches.

Certainly keen to watch it again, see how it stands up to repeated viewings.

Much better than Iron Man 2, not as good as Iron Man, and just slightly behind Captain America.