Sign in to follow this  
dogpoet

Batman bind ups?

What do you guys think of the Batman as a vampire Elseworlds stories? Batman-Dracula and Red Rain.

I only got around to reading it last year.When you hear,Batman,Dracula and Elseworlds and then you add in,drawn by Kelly Jones,the possibilities are endless.Rest assured though,after reading it,all hopes are predictably dashed.What'd you think?

Been a good wee while since I read the Batman / Vampire Elseworlds, but I remember thinking it wasn't up to much. Distinctly average.

The art was a lot better than the story for that one. Hugely disappointing, really.

The Brubaker/Phillips noir-style Elsewords was a whimpering disappointment as well. Put me right off reading anything else by them.

Lately Elseworlds has been a dirty word. I get sucked in all the time when it seems like a cool collaborative effort. But then it disappoints. Obviously, the coolest Elseworlds of all is Kingdom Come, to me anyway. I liked the first Batman/Vampire book, or thought it was OK, but the sequels sucked.

Lately Elseworlds has been a dirty word. I get sucked in all the time when it seems like a cool collaborative effort. But then it disappoints. Obviously, the coolest Elseworlds of all is Kingdom Come, to me anyway. I liked the first Batman/Vampire book, or thought it was OK, but the sequels sucked.

Is Dark Knight Returns an Elseworlds?What about Earth 2 by Morrison and Quitely?Gotham by Gaslight was pretty decent,but I'm a sucker for Mignola doing Batman,also Tony Harris,Dan Jolley and Ray Snyder did(I believe)four books with Batman and the JSA,set during World War 2,that was great fun.

Part of the problem,I believe,is most of the plots sound like they were generated by editors in quick easy to grasp pitches.It's Superman,but he lands in the Soviet Union,or,what if so and so foung a green lantern ring?The novelty of the concept can wear off rather quickly,although I heard Millar's Red Son was pretty good,haven't gotten around to it myself.

I don't think DKR is billed as an Elseworlds story, despite the fact that DC have made it very clear that this isn't how the future Batman's going to look anymore than the idiot in Hex. So far as I can tell, Earth 2 is a continuity story: there's nothing there that's at odds with any of Morrison's JLA run, is there?

I think it was simply that Dark Knight Returns was published before DC had an "Elseworlds" line, so that's why it's not officially marked as an "elseworlds" book.

Although, DC did stick an "elseworlds" label on Robinson's The Golden Age, but I still can't figure out why they did this. It seems to fit into continuity.

JLA:Earth 2 isn't an "Elseworlds" book as far as I'm aware. The one reason DC might have shuffled it away is that after Crisis, DC wasn't supposed to have any alternate Earths, but Morrison snuck in an alternate Earth.

I think "Elseworlds" needs to be reserved for actually revisionist works. I mean, Ronald Reagan could still be president in the future with Superman as his bodyguard. And, the USSR could still be around in the future. It's not that there's no possible way the world of Dark Knight Returns could come to pass. It's the future after all. We don't know what wonders await us!

Something like Bruce Wayne living in the time of Jack The Ripper or the Joker being Dracula, or whatever, those should be the official Elseworlds tales. The ones that could never have taken place based on DCU continuity.

Well, with the current Return of Bruce Wayne story-arc, I guess Bruce Wayne might have been living at the time of Jack The Ripper now.

There were some good Batman Elseworlds one-shots from a while back. Howard Chaykin usually wrote some nice, politically tinged, Batman Elseworlds in the 1980s.

In all honesty, DKR was the mid '80s rather than a future setting: the characters were obviously the silver age versions as old farts.

You know, I just never thought of that. I like it though.

I think the whole Cyberpunk thing threw me off.

But, yeah, the natural progression of the DC superheroes from the Silver Age to the then-present 1980s.

Explains why the hell Reagan was still president.

Actually, can I just qualify my comment about Kelly Jones' artwork being the best thing in the Batman vampire stories? He drew a really shitty batmobile...

+1 on the Gotham Central and early Legends trades. You might also have a look at the Elseworlds Holy Terror, which was worth a read IIRC.

It's odd that Alan Grant hasn't been represented in reprint collections — his run on Detective Comics would collect up nicely.