Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

Bad news, maybe?

Surely he's going to meet Bruce Wayne travelling in the other direction sometime soon?

This does not impress or depress me.

I don't think the new book will do well. Wern't the sales from the first DC run (pre-Saga) less than steller?

To make matters worse, they canned a fifth volume (fourth for Vertigo) with China Mieville as the writer. That would've been fantastic.

God damn your nostalgic soul, Dan Didio!! :icon_gun_m:

That China Mieville news is bit that really makes me sick of DC.

Idiots.

1) because they had him working on a trade mark (although that'd have been fine)

2) because they let him work on it for ages and then said, "oh, he's back in the DCU".

Good. About bloody time too.

Shame that Mieville apparently got fucked over (comics industry in "laughably piss-poor personnel management" shock!), but Swamp Thing should never have been removed from the DCU in the first place. It was a bloody stupid idea, it's pretty clearly backfired both creatively and commercially for most of the past decade, and I'm glad it's been reversed.

Not that it'll make a huge difference to me personally, since the odds of me reading a new Swamp Thing book from either DC or Vertigo are vanishingly-slim. But if other people want to use the character in other books - and will now be able to - that'd be good. Moore and bits of Millar/Morrison aside, I much prefer Swamp Thing as a supporting character anyway.

Giant Sized Man-Thing

DC Comics has scrapped an upcoming Swamp Thing series by acclaimed writer China Miéville ( previously), apparently so that Swamp Thing and other Vertigo characters such as Black Orchid and Shade The Changing Man reintegrated into the DC Universe.

Vertigo started out as a darker, edgier imprint of comics, largely modeled on Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, that absorbed many of DCs supernatural characters and largely took them out of DC's more superhero oriented universe, something that this would reverse. There is no word on whether John Constantine, star of Vertigo's longest running comic Hellblazer would be affected.

I posted this because look who Metafilter linked John Constantine to.

If there was still anything even vaguely-resembling a "Vertigo Universe", I could see why some people might feel there were valid grounds to object to this move. But since no such thing has existed for years...meh.

Also, to file under NEVER FORGET (not that I'd assume anyone here has, it just bears repeating anyway): Moore's Swamp Thing run, which seems to have become retroactively cited as the point where Vertigo was born in the first place, saw Swamp Thing turning up on the Justice League satellite, tied into Crisis On Infinite Earths in a fairly fundamental way, and came to a conclusion which featured the significant involvement of Batman, Gotham City and Lex Luthor. Anyone claiming that the character would be in any way damaged by interaction with those pesky superheroes would do well to bear this in mind.

Course, the big question is why the re-integration of Swamp Thing into the DCU should have had any impact at all on China Mieville's version of the character. I don't see why this has to be an either/or scenario.

Yes, most of the so-called Vertigo Universe characters have already popped up in DCU books from time to time, because Vertigo has no interest in those types of books anymore. Nor should they really. Vertigo is doing just fine with self-contained, creator owned work, and Hellblazer can stay in that line as its created a Vertigo-centric identity. Other than Shade popping up currently, because Milligan is writing the book, Hellblazer has very little ties with that whole Vertigo-verse idea.

I don't really want Swamp Thing or Black Orchid popping up in Hellblazer anyway.

Another reason I don't think we need worry about Hellblazer is that the book would have to be relaunched as an all ages title, otherwise, the earlier Trades would be "mature readers", which would hurt the book gaining new fans after it went to the DCU since they'd have to catch up on the character and might not want to read "mature" tales. You have to remember that most of these other characters haven't had their own books in over 10 years. It's not hard to just restart their stories fresh.

Swamp Thing is a character that I feel has very little of possibility left to him. It doesn't matter.

China Mieville would have been the only way to get people (people here being read as "me") interested again...so, that's certainly a shame.

As Mark's last post points out, this seems to be just a stupid decision on DC's part more than anything to do with the move.

But, Swamp Thing would work best being in the DCU where he can be used in Brave and the Bold or Justice League as a guest star.

Also, Swamp Thing was created in the 1970s by Len Wein, and the book had a cult following.

I'm with Mark and Tom. Farming off all of the pretentious culty stuff into a separate imprint has rather impoverished the DCU, and also could be seen as one of the reasons nothing like the Sandman has emerged from Vertigo since. (Several series have been better, but nothing has even touched its sales.) That was a very obvious example of letting a writer have their head to do their own thing with the superhero characters working brilliantly, after all.